Taxi from chunnel to Paris hotel

Gracie115

Hoping someone can advise how difficult it is to get a taxi from the Eurostar station at Paris Gare Du Nord to hotels in Paris. We have never been to Paris and wonder how difficult it will be to maneuver with luggage from the train to wherever we might get a taxi. Thanks for any help....

Hoping someone can advise how difficult it is to get a taxi from the Eurostar station at Paris Gare Du Nord to hotels in Paris. We have never been to Paris and wonder how difficult it will be to maneuver with luggage from the train to wherever we might get a taxi. Thanks for any help....

Come out the front of the station and turn left the taxi stand will be on the side of th station..you may get to it from inside..just ask,BUT make sure you use a taxi from the taxi stand...do not let anyone try to say they are a taxi in front of the station..they are not.It is not hard to line up in the queue even with luggage. To eas things for you have the hotel name and address spelled out on a pirce of paper for the drive in case you get one that does not speak english well.Enjoy Paris..easy to get areound and lots to see and do...just remember to use the real taxi queue even if just out and about.

Come out the front of the station and turn left the taxi stand will be on the side of th station..you may get to it from inside..just ask,BUT make sure you use a taxi from the taxi stand...do not let anyone try to say they are a taxi in front of the station..they are not.It is not hard to line up in the queue even with luggage. To eas things for you have the hotel name and address spelled out on a pirce of paper for the drive in case you get one that does not speak english well.Enjoy Paris..easy to get areound and lots to see and do...just remember to use the real taxi queue even if just out and about.

Thank you so much for the information!:)

Just keep in mind that with nearly all European train travel you will have to handle your own luggage and get it off the train, through the station, and to the taxi stand. Finding a porter is next to impossible in many stations. And you should make sure you have enough Euros to pay for the taxi fare :).

Hank

Just a by-the-by, Gracie.

Eurostar is the word to use.

Chunnel is just the Channel tunnel from Folkestone to Calais & the word is used by folk travelling between England & France by road.

A taxi from the Chunnel to Paris would cost you your house ;)

JB :)

John Bull

I don't think people in the UK say 'Chunnel' at all. Well I haven't heard it used, we/they normally say the Channel Tunnel. Yes, the train is the Eurostar and the service where you take your car under the tunnel is Eurotunnel.

We used to go to France on the ferry, but these days tend to use the tunnel instead as it is so quick, just 35 minutes. We have also gone across to France when the weather hasn't been too good, so the sea has been very rough. I don't mind that, but my OH suffers from seasickness.

John Bull

I don't think people in the UK say 'Chunnel' at all. Well I haven't heard it used, we/they normally say the Channel Tunnel. Yes, the train is the Eurostar and the service where you take your car under the tunnel is Eurotunnel.

We used to go to France on the ferry, but these days tend to use the tunnel instead as it is so quick, just 35 minutes. We have also gone across to France when the weather hasn't been too good, so the sea has been very rough. I don't mind that, but my OH suffers from seasickness.

That's the difference between a Londoner and us country boys - we're about 20 years behind the times :D

Agreed using the tunnel is quicker than the ferry, and is certainly my preference in winter months when the Channel is more likely to be bad-tempered. But usually more expensive - and the views in the tunnel aren't great ;)

Hank and Mr. Bull reminded me of something..the Eurostar comes in on the upper level of the train station so be aware of that when you have your luggage. You really should not have any problems.

Thanks for info, does this mean there will be no stairs to navigate?

Just a by-the-by, Gracie.

Eurostar is the word to use.

Chunnel is just the Channel tunnel from Folkestone to Calais & the word is used by folk travelling between England & France by road.

A taxi from the Chunnel to Paris would cost you your house ;)

Thanks!! Eurostar it is......don't want to give away the house yet....haven't found the perfect ship to move onto...but I'm looking!!!:D

John Bull

The ferry prices don't seem to be much cheaper these days from the tunnel. We go to France with the car probably about every 2 to 3 months. In the off peak times the ferries used to offer cheap fares, around £50 return for car and up to 9 pax. The weekend return fare on the Eurotunnel is usually £70 return. The ferry now is often as expensive and sometimes more than the tunnel. As the tunnel is much quicker, that's why we take it. Also, the station is very close to Europe Cite for a bit of retail therapy.

John Bull

The ferry prices don't seem to be much cheaper these days from the tunnel. We go to France with the car probably about every 2 to 3 months. In the off peak times the ferries used to offer cheap fares, around £50 return for car and up to 9 pax. The weekend return fare on the Eurotunnel is usually £70 return. The ferry now is often as expensive and sometimes more than the tunnel. As the tunnel is much quicker, that's why we take it. Also, the station is very close to Europe Cite for a bit of retail therapy.

I've just compared prices on a few random dates. Yes, I'm probably out-of-date though the last couple of times I've crossed, in the past 12 months, the ferry has been cheaper than the tunnel.

Probably due to short-term deals.

And regardless of season & ignoring day-returns, return tunnel fares seem to average out around £120, same as the ferries.

Or mebbe they still have short-term specials too.

One thing I've noticed with both compared to years ago, the length of time between crossings seems to make no difference - both used to cane those heading off for a couple of weeks and offer low prices for short breaks.

I guess it all depends on the dates you want - cheaper through the tunnel for some journeys, cheaper on the ferry for others.

Ignoring any vast price differences I prefer the tunnel in winter and for short breaks, the ferry for a more leisurely summer crossing - especially if its a long drive to or from the crossing.

Edited by John Bull

Just keep in mind that with nearly all European train travel you will have to handle your own luggage and get it off the train, through the station, and to the taxi stand. Finding a porter is next to impossible in many stations. And you should make sure you have enough Euros to pay for the taxi fare :).

Hank

Quick question - we'll be taking Eurostar from London to Paris before our Norway cruise. I imagine we'll have 3 suitcases and a carry-on or 2. How is luggage handled on the train? Do we put it somewhere or does it come on with us? Thanks for your help!

Quick question - we'll be taking Eurostar from London to Paris before our Norway cruise. I imagine we'll have 3 suitcases and a carry-on or 2. How is luggage handled on the train? Do we put it somewhere or does it come on with us? Thanks for your help!

We don't plan to have that much luggage but would like to know the answer to this also.....

Wow that is alot of luggage and will make it much tougher to maneuver on the train.

When I took the eurostar the luggage racks at the end of the cars seemed very crowded and it looked like many people were having to put their luggage in a different car than they were in. i was so glad i had left my large luggage at the hotel in London and just taken a carryon with me for my week in Paris. I would not want to worry with being in one car and my luggage in another where i could not see it.

I do not know if my worry was unfounded but just bringing this up as you may want to pare down your suitcases if possible. You can put smaller carryons above your seat, similar to airlines but large luggage goes in the racks at the end of the cars, which are not all that roomy.

Wow that is alot of luggage and will make it much tougher to maneuver on the train.

When I took the eurostar the luggage racks at the end of the cars seemed very crowded and it looked like many people were having to put their luggage in a different car than they were in. i was so glad i had left my large luggage at the hotel in London and just taken a carryon with me for my week in Paris. I would not want to worry with being in one car and my luggage in another where i could not see it.

I do not know if my worry was unfounded but just bringing this up as you may want to pare down your suitcases if possible. You can put smaller carryons above your seat, similar to airlines but large luggage goes in the racks at the end of the cars, which are not all that roomy.

I guess we'll just have to hope there's room and not too many people going to Paris that day. We're going to be gone a total of 15 days and there are 3 of us... so one suitcase each. We're actually staying in Paris for 2 nights before flying to Copenhagen, so we have to take our stuff. Guess I'll just hope for the best.

I guess we'll just have to hope there's room and not too many people going to Paris that day. We're going to be gone a total of 15 days and there are 3 of us... so one suitcase each. We're actually staying in Paris for 2 nights before flying to Copenhagen, so we have to take our stuff. Guess I'll just hope for the best.

If you are going to have 3 suitcases and there is room at the end for them in your car or the next...just string them together with a long wire safety lock around a pole or something to attach them to the area and you should be fine.You can fins them on line or at Magellans.It will make your trip less worrisome.

John Bull

Have just booked car on Eurotunnel for the end of March at a cost of £60 return. Going on Saturday and coming back Sunday.

Ahhhh, yes, the one-night saver.:)

But if instead of coming back the next day you come back the next week, the cost with Eurotunnel shoots up to a minimum of £144.

Or more, if you don't fancy crossing both ways at daft o'clock in the morning.

Compared to just £120 by ferry.

But however & whenever you travel, it beats buying wine at Asda price ;)

Santé