Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

The footrest takes about 10 seconds to blow up, and about that to deflate. Fold up flat and small. Just remember to twist the little plug thing in and out, don't pull. Twist and push in, twist and pull out.

Don't over inflate: it's best to have a little "give" to it. This footrest is soft and feels like you have your feet resting on a pillow. I love it!

Glad to hear this worked for you, as I bought one to use on our 11hr flight in March. I use compression sox plus the arnica/brushing

Sandy in Spain

• 1 month later...

I have been on 2 cruises, one 5 day and one 6 day. On the 2nd cruise my feet and ankles swelled so bad and it took a few days after we got home for them to return to normal. No rash though. Has anyone had the swelling with no rash? Funny thing is my lips were swollen in the mornings, but would go back to normal within an hour or so. This happened on both cruises. We are going on a 8 Day in May, I really hope I do not swell

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you...When (and if we go), I will get the brush and gel and a buff puff and check it out days before, maybe priming my legs/ankles...

This is my concern too - sensitive skin. I have demographia, so when I brush my hair, try on clothes, get a salt scrub, I have red marks on my skin afterwards! It fades, but I'm concerned the dry brushing would do the same to my skin!

Anyone know of any essential oils that might have the same effect as the Elemis? I have lots of those and can mix with fractionated coconut oil.

This is my concern too - sensitive skin. I have demographia, so when I brush my hair, try on clothes, get a salt scrub, I have red marks on my skin afterwards! It fades, but I'm concerned the dry brushing would do the same to my skin!

Anyone know of any essential oils that might have the same effect as the Elemis? I have lots of those and can mix with fractionated coconut oil.

The arnica gel will offset that, and you can also add a little aloe vera to the mix. You are not abraiding your skin, just stimulating it. Try it out at home first. The arnica gel and the brush from amazon is less than $20.

Sierra, I swell without a rash. My legs never swell at home and I'm an RN working 12 hr shifts. I usually start swelling the 3rd day. I pack maxi dresses and long linen pants. I have found that drinking mostly bottled water, little alcohol and avoiding heavily salty foods decreases it. Twice after having the French onion soup I noticed increased swelling. I don't have high BP and don't avoid salt at home. I must e one of the people sensitive to the water. I wondered if the sea air contributes to it but when we spend a week at the NC beaches I don't swell.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. My fiancé looked at me like I was insane the last cruise because my ankles swelled SO much. Of the 5 people going I was the only one who swelled up. I'm standing/walking 30 hours a week at home for my job, haven't noticed any swelling, but I do have a few permanent red dots/rash area on the ankles. I'm wondering if I should finally make a well checkup to ask about it, before I go on our 8 night cruise in April... I also don't have high blood pressure (120/78) but am overweight.

• 1 month later...

I was a bit skeptical about the dry brushing/oil remedy but I tried it out last week and I was blown away by the results. While I did have a small amount of swelling towards the end of the cruise it was nothing like it used to be. My legs were actually normal looking when I got off the ship. I brushed three times a day and used the oil after showers. I bought a $5 brush from walmart and the oil from amazon but I believe the brushing alone is all you really need to do. I am 30 years old, exercise daily, eat right, drink plenty of water and experience leg swelling on all of my cruises. I just wish I would have discovered this years ago. Thank you to the OP!!!

Going on another cruise at the end of the week:D.....question, if

any of you are around;).....the brush and oil thing.....I didn't go back

and read the entire thread but has the brush worked for any of you

without the oil?....I am flying from Florida to Seattle on Thursday and

am thinking about buying the brush but was just wondering about the

oil........

I was a bit skeptical about the dry brushing/oil remedy but I tried it out last week and I was blown away by the results. While I did have a small amount of swelling towards the end of the cruise it was nothing like it used to be. My legs were actually normal looking when I got off the ship. I brushed three times a day and used the oil after showers. I bought a $5 brush from walmart and the oil from amazon but I believe the brushing alone is all you really need to do. I am 30 years old, exercise daily, eat right, drink plenty of water and experience leg swelling on all of my cruises. I just wish I would have discovered this years ago. Thank you to the OP!!!

Hi, I should have read your most more closely before I posted;)

I may buy the brush but skip the oil.....my ankles swell on every

cruise:rolleyes:.....maybe I will get a brush tomorrow....I fly across the

country on Thursday:D

We went on a 10 day land trip that included San Diego, 2 days, and Baja California & Baja California Sur where all of the water was purified/purified bottled water. I had no issues with feet, ankle & leg swelling at all. Even when I drink bottled water on a cruise I swell up, especially my left ankle/foot. It has to be the water on the ship and even drinking bottled water will not help because of the water in the ice, soup, etc. I bought the brush and jell, which I use at home prior to daily walks, and will take both on my next cruise. Hopefully it will help.

Hi Mary Lou:).....I just typed in "Swollen Ankles" into the search box

on here~there have been at least a dozen threads about this over

the years:eek:......seems ALOT of us have it happen.....I think I will go

tomorrow and buy the brush. I know I read gals said to brush upward

(a few said towards the heart)....I wonder for how long? Just a few

minutes I would think.....and I wonder if it matters if I do it after my

shower?

I used the brush from Bed Bath and Beyond and the Arnica gel I bought at Target. I brushed in the morning and at night after my shower. I started at my toes and brushed upwards. I just went over the entire foot area and over my ankles twice. I did put on the gel first then brush. I had great success. I've never tried without the gel, so I can't say if it would work without. One other thing, I only ever have the swelling no rash. I hope that this helps. I know that I will never take another cruise without both of these items. I'm going to Vegas next month and I think I'll take them there too.

I used the brush from Bed Bath and Beyond and the Arnica gel I bought at Target. I brushed in the morning and at night after my shower. I started at my toes and brushed upwards. I just went over the entire foot area and over my ankles twice. I did put on the gel first then brush. I had great success. I've never tried without the gel, so I can't say if it would work without. One other thing, I only ever have the swelling no rash. I hope that this helps. I know that I will never take another cruise without both of these items. I'm going to Vegas next month and I think I'll take them there too.

Yes, it does, thanks:)........I always shower twice a day on a

cruise....(that is just me)....in the morning and then again before I

change for dinner. So I will try it this cruise. Oh, I have never had

a rash...only swollen ankles/feet:rolleyes:

Lois, I just started getting swollen ankles after many cruises. Brushing without the gel worked for me. I was skeptical but the difference was amazing. I used the brush from BB&B.

Hi Stranger:).....off to BB&B after work today.....thanks!

Very happy to read so many people are having success with this process. I too stumbled on the thread searching for a cure to my swollen feet on every cruise. From my first cruise using this I've never had swelling since.

OK...I got the brush and they had the gel too....just a little tube

so I bought some as well.:)

Question.....do you wet the brush in the shower? I just tried it on

one of my legs.....it is stiff:eek:....

And it is this brush:

7390310474574p?$229$

OK...I got the brush and they had the gel too....just a little tube

so I bought some as well.:)

Question.....do you wet the brush in the shower? I just tried it on

one of my legs.....it is stiff:eek:....

And it is this brush:

7390310474574p?$229$

No its meant to be used as a dry brush. I have the exact same brush and I guess depending on your skin sensitivity it could hurt a bit. It does not bother me at all I actually like it.

Yvonne

No its meant to be used as a dry brush. I have the exact same brush and I guess depending on your skin sensitivity it could hurt a bit. It does not bother me at all I actually like it.

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne:)...it didn't hurt really. Do you use it before or after you shower?

Edited by Lois R

Hi Yvonne:)...it didn't hurt really. Do you use it before or after you shower?

I'm not sure it really matter though I wouldn't want to wash off the oil in the shower so maybe after your shower would be best. There are a few YouTube tutorials if you are interested. Just type in dry brushing

Yvonne

OK thanks:)...that makes sense....sometimes I don't know where my mind

goes:rolleyes:....after the shower.....then I can use the gel and the brush:D

Edited by Lois R

I've had the swelling problem since I was a teen. My friends didn't understand until they were pregnant - lol! Heat, humidity, and travel are the worst culprits. That was so rude of them to say that to you, whether it was true or not!

I bought the gel & this brush after my last cruise. The instructions say to use it dry without excessive pressure. I haven't cruised since getting it but will definitely be taking it in September. I sometimes use it at home and it does a good job removing dry skin.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIBEBTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...

I am so glad I found this thread. We are just back from an Alaskan cruise and the swelling was crazy. I have a dry brush I've used primarily for circulation to help the appearance of cellulite, but it never occurred to me to take it with and use it for the foot/ankle swelling. I read the article posted suggesting that the salty sea air could contribute and that makes sense. I suspect that the food has the most to do with it, however. In retrospect, I can think of very little I ate that wouldn't have had salt added. About the only things would have been fresh fruit and veggies.

One thing about the ship's water vs. bottled water - I've heard before that you have to be really careful about bottled water as well as they can also contain sodium: http://weightloss.answers.com/nutrition/salt-water-why-bottled-water-companies-add-sodium Also, when you shower or wash your hands, you are absorbing whatever is in the water on the ship as well.

Edited by clickchick