Gel polish on LONG trip - re-do on cruise?

sprinkles

Hi All,

OK, so I'll try this a new way, as I asked this specific to Princess. All you gel polish experts out there. Have you ever had your nails re-done on a cruise? I.E. if you book an appointment for a gel polish on the ship, is the cost of removing the old stuff included? Do they even do it? I would think they would absolutely have to for someone on a world cruise. I've only had this done a couple of times - what do they normally do file a little and then try and soak off and file some more?

I would hate to get on my cruise with gel polish and not be able to have them re-done before leaving the ship for another two weeks travelling. Anyone - please? Thoughts, this whole gel polish, shellac whatever you want to call it is new to me. I was the queen of acrylic nails for 20 years, then in the end fell in love with pink and white acrylics on cruises, until I broke one and found out they could not do it on the ships because they did not use drills, had to have a plain acrylic nail done and polished a dark color over all those pretty pink and white's.

Thanks,

Tammy

Why not just use regular polish? Have it done the day prior, and you can re-do easily, cheaply and fast, if needed! I find that since I'm not really doing any work, my nails last AT LEAST 8 days, if not longer with regular polish. If I was doing paper work (the color on the ends of my nails wear away if I'm shuffling through paper) or heavy cleaning, my nails take a beating. On vacation...not so much!

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been doing my own nails for the last five years since removing the acrylics, but am having a hard time seeing them anymore (I'm only 46 but have some serious medical issues).

Marti I like your idea, but I've been wearing clear for the last five years. This gel polish is just making me feel "pretty" again - lol. Especially what I am wearing right now - diamond. WOW, I had seen other people getting it done and decided to try it out and have really fallen in love with it. But I absolutely know I will have to get it done on the ship (14 day cruise followed by another two weeks in Europe).

Seriously, none of you fashion divas know the answer? OK, I just might have to call Steiner and get the answer.

Thanks,

Tammy

Have you thought of getting a design done so that the top of your nail stays clear and the bottom part has the colour? I have gel nails (not just the polish) and my manicurist always does the upper part (by the cuticle) clear so that the grow out isn't evident. I will be gone for a total of 6 weeks and that is what I am planning to do.

I'm getting gel nails done for the first time ever for my next cruise in March. I've decided upon a French manicure with a smallish design where the white and pink bit join, it's a sort of curving black leaf outline with some brilliants added from a glitter pot.A friend of mine had something similar and could just varnish a different colour over them when she got bored. I'll post pix when done.

In my experience the removal is not included and is quite pricey! I had my shellac redone on a long cruise - the cost of the shellac was of course a bit more expensive than 'on land' but I expected that - I was not happy about paying another $20 to have my shellac removed.

I would suggest perhaps bringing something to remove yours with if you don't want to add to the cost of a new gel polish.

I was on the Island Princess last week and the gel removal charge was $25 in addition to reapplication. I did not have it done.

I got a gel mani on Feb 1 and had them removed Jan 20 before I went back to work. They were still in perfect condition. The nail tech did an awesome job. If she wasn't on the opposite coast, I'd go back to her in a heartbeat.

Gel polishes are easy to remove yourself, but a bit time-consuming.

You need acetone nail polish remover, cotton wool, small squares of aluminium foil, a nail file, a buffer, and a wooden manicure stick.

Gently run the nail file across the surface of each nail a couple of times, and across the tips, to break the seal of the top coat.

Soak a small cotton wool pad in remover, place on nail and wrap in foil. It's best to do one hand at a time. Once all nails on that hand are wrapped, wait about 15 minutes then twist foil/cotton wool across each nail a couple of times and remove. It should all come off, but any stubborn bits can be gently scraped off with the manicure stick. Buff nails to remove any final traces.

Repeat for the other hand.

PS - once you've done this yourself you'll see why they charge more for soak-offs.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Instead of bringing 'acetone' I am thinking you might be able to get some acetone 'nail polish remover pads' for travel (less chance of spillage and you only need a small amount) along with the foil and tools - and should be able to attach the wet pads to the nails as required...and work off the old polish - beats paying an additional $20-25 for removal!!:eek::rolleyes:

Thanks, I hate to admit it (like I said, I did my own nails for a long time), but I am just planning on having it done on the ship (going solo for the first time - this whole trip is a really big - special splurge for me). I have taken my own nail supplies on cruises for the last 17 years.

This "diamond" polish I realized that my tech said, has to be half-filed off. I have M.S. and just can't imagine doing that kind of filing anymore (not to mention that my eyesight is pretty bad too - lol).

I realize that they might charge EVEN more with the filing, but I really do still love this polish. Even though it is starting to grow out, it looks better then when the red/burgundy does.

I haven't decided if I am going to keep this stuff up after the trip though. Seems kinda silly to be keeping my nails going now after being retired. But for now it is fun, I just went five years with just plain clear after taking the acrylics off. So for a little while I'll splurge. I'll definitely come back and post re my experience when I get back the end of May.

Thanks Everybody!

Tammy

I am retired and have my nails done with gel once a month. I love how my hands look and I can still do everything I want since the gels are pretty well bulletproof. These are the full gel nails, not the polish.