Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I'm all packed. Leave on the Breeze Sat. I've been in Florida since Christmas and have been looking for a couple of new tank tops. I've, unfortunately put on some weight. That's what all this travel does to you. Will be good to be back in Indiana and my gym. Anyway, tonight, I stumbled onto two!!! Now I have to figure how to fit then in!!

My shorts are usually normal summer, I try to have several to many new tops, I like them to keep looking fresh and new on cruises. My formal ware is a few skirts and tops that I rotate.

Was so happy a while back when I found my casual white jacket. Well, I've lost it at the mall. They haven't found it. Do I go replace it. Was inexpensive at Walmart. Can't decide.

Stumbled onto this at Beals outlet, and shoes at Bealls. ImageUploadedByForums1425007367.509814.jpg.7f75a7f4850253e4d226b2136927a07f.jpg. Shoes are so colorful and cushiony!!

Stay warm!!

ImageUploadedByForums1425007256.929868.jpg.0931b7354488ae64e79ceeab3aa3ce6f.jpg

So interesting to read about the clothes taken on cruises. Thanks to all who responded!

murfturf and awhfy: Both of you commented that some of your Cruise Clothes are "too tropical for everyday". I completely agree with that! In western PA, tropical isn't standard attire either:rolleyes:...that's what makes it so nice to wear in the Caribbean!

sunnydaygirl: Love your top. Anchors are a natural design! And your shoes look good, too.

Scrapnana: You said some of your items weren't "hugely successful, moved to regular closet". I do that, too!

But today, I went a step further - tried on 11 dresses from the Cruise Closet - 7 of them won't go back. They will be taken to the consignment shop, along with a pair of Ralph Lauren wedges and a Vera Bradley handbag. Hey, maybe I'll make enough $$ to spend on a future cruise:cool::)!

Thanks Indiana. I always mean to take more pictures of myself!!

After picking up my travel mates at the airport and a quick family dinner we stopped at a huge Bealls, one I rarely get to. I'd looked last night and today for a replacement white jacket. Found one here when I'd given up hope. $49, sale and coupons, $15. Boy was I excited!!! Now I have more than I need!! Don't know how all the luggage of four women will fit. They brought huge suitcases!!

The shopping bug has bit... We leave for our next cruise adventure April 25!! I still need to acquire two bathing suits at least, plus it turns out our honeymoon this august is going to be our first B2B CRUISE EVER!! I want to buy so many cute nautical theme stuff... But I won't be able to wear it at home really as we're 3 hours from any ocean... Might pick up a few accessories that way it's not super obvious. SO exciting to be cruising again! :) also, if anyone knows good places to find maxi dresses that aren't super hot please let me know as I am contemplating that for sail away... If that would be a good idea? (Going out of ft Lauderdale for the first time in April too)

This is my latest purchase. I have horrible varicose veins in my right leg, which are being removed next week. I can finally wear dresses without the eye being drawn to the mess that is my right leg.

taylor_4117m_blaze__20189.jpg

First I wish you well with the operation on your veins. I know your legs will look beautiful after.

The dress is real cute. What kind/color jewelry are you gong to wear?

That's a good question. I have a gold chunky necklace with gold earrings that might look nice with it. If you have any ideas, please, chime in! Pictures/samples will help me. I'm not very clever with accessorizing my clothes.

What about something simple in a nevy blue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-6-14mm-Blue-Lapis-Lazuli-Round-Beads-Necklace-18-/381005475713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b5b22f81

FIRST: sunnydaygirl - Have a spectacular time with your girlfriends! So happy to read that you found a replacement jacket.

Looking forward to your post-cruise posts:cool::)!

Abercram: The first thing to do is set aside some space for Cruise Clothes - so as you find sales on nautical-themed items, there's a place to put them...and no guilt because the price was right;)!

Wearing a maxi dress for SailAway is a great idea! Especially from Florida. The maxi will take you through the day AND the evening. Day #1 is the only day I don't change for dinner. What goes on in the morning needs to be appropriate until Sleep Time. And a maxi dress would be very appropriate. I might wear one for SailAway on our Family Cruise in June. Thanks for the idea:cool:!

fyree39: Your dress has good lines; a fun, tropical print and will show off your "new" legs! My jewelry choice would be silver or white, and navy works, too...even black. What color shoes will you wear?

Yesterday, I tried on Cruise Clothes and eliminated some things that just don't do it for me anymore....today I stopped at Goodwill...tried on 10 (yes 10!!) items. 1 dress was too big, 1 dress was too short. A couple tops looked better on the hanger than on me, and a pair of Talbot Capris were too big. Darn!! But...I did have luck with a Tommy Hilfiger raspberry-colored cable knit pullover, a Land's End polo shirt, and a Talbot's purple 3/4 sleeve knit top.

None of those things will go on the Next Cruise..but there are 3 more on the calendar for this year....

SunnyDayGirl, I LOVE the top and shoes!!! Especially the shoes!!! Adorable!

And Fyree, that dress is adorable!! Congratulations on the surgery to make you feel better about your legs.

I am loving reading how everybody dresses and packs for their cruises! A dear friend of my hubby's told him a long time ago that "for women, at least half of the fun of a trip is the planning and anticipation". That is so true for me!!!

Our next cruise is a family celebration cruise on Princess's Regal to the Eastern Caribbean for my hubby's 60th birthday. Both of our adult kids, and their partners are joining us. Even though it is still more than 9 months away, I have started planning and we already have our "night before hotel" booked. As it will be the first cruise for our kids and their partners, I am putting together "goody bags" for each couple.

I'm all packed. Leave on the Breeze Sat. I've been in Florida since Christmas and have been looking for a couple of new tank tops. I've, unfortunately put on some weight. That's what all this travel does to you. Will be good to be back in Indiana and my gym. Anyway, tonight, I stumbled onto two!!! Now I have to figure how to fit then in!!

My shorts are usually normal summer, I try to have several to many new tops, I like them to keep looking fresh and new on cruises. My formal ware is a few skirts and tops that I rotate.

Was so happy a while back when I found my casual white jacket. Well, I've lost it at the mall. They haven't found it. Do I go replace it. Was inexpensive at Walmart. Can't decide.

Stumbled onto this at Beals outlet, and shoes at Bealls. [ATTACH]341662[/ATTACH][ATTACH]341663[/ATTACH]. Shoes are so colorful and cushiony!!

Stay warm!!

Love that anchor top! Is that bling on it?

I always shop Bealls when I am in Florida.

Love the Breeze ship! It was so beautiful and still new looking to me.

Hope you guys have a great time.

Edited by tbbtravels

What do you all do whe you have several pre-cruise days? We are going to a theme park for 3 days. I wear jean capris and t shirts at theme parks, not really cruise clothes and after all day my clothes aren't re-wearable! So washing is an option, but that will take precious theme park time. Should I just plan on having a suitcase of dirty clothes on the cruise? DH mentioned shipping home, but our bags are free on Delta so it doesn't really matter! Thoughts? This is for 5 people for 3 days!

I ended up purchasing the lapis lazuli necklace you posted above. I'd like to get some matching earrings, but got overwhelmed by the offerings on Ebay. What do you think? Should I go with a silver or gold with the lapis lazuli earrings? Most of what I'm finding is made with silver.

I would normally say silver, but something about that orange/tangerine color makes me think gold would look really good with it!

I ended up purchasing the lapis lazuli necklace you posted above. I'd like to get some matching earrings, but got overwhelmed by the offerings on Ebay. What do you think? Should I go with a silver or gold with the lapis lazuli earrings? Most of what I'm finding is made with silver.

I would go with the silver. The navy necklace has me tempted!

Sharon

I am sailing on Saturday:D....I have most of the clothes I am taking

out on the bed in the 2nd bedroom......only sailing for 5 nights. Taking

3 pair of slacks and a skirt........wearing 1 pair of slacks twice.

One pair of pants is in deep plum color.....I love them:D......they

don't wrinkle and also (this may sound odd but it works)....they have

a muted animal print running through.....same color...very subtle and

it works;)

It's been snowing ALL DAY hereicon13.gif. Not looking outside - immersing myself in Cruise Critic threads:cool:.

BlessedAZwife: Doing a goody bag for those who haven't cruised before is a good idea. I did it for our family. Here's a photo of the contents:

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B655%3B57%3A335nu0mrj

I gave it to them a month before cruising. It included the itinerary, deck plants, luggage tag holders, a tropical theme notepad and pen, Royal Caribbean luggage tags (that were prizes during a trivia), tropical scented soap and all went in to a Royal Caribbean bag. There are all sorts of goodies that can go into a bag. Have fun putting them together!

And I loved your quote:

"for women, at least half of the fun of a trip is the planning and anticipation". That is so true for me!!! " I think all CCFs would agree with that statement!

Silver V Gold Jewelry: I agree that you should try both with your dress to see which looks best. The other consideration is: which looks best with your skin tone. Whatever you choose, wear it and enjoy it!

I DO like the navy earrings in the photo.

Lois R: Sounds like you are well on your way to having outfits chosen and packing underway. :cool:

murfturf: Definitely have a designated "dirty clothes suitcase". So much better than doing laundry on vacation, especially with free baggage:). When we have days before cruising, those clothes go in a plastic bag (dry cleaner bag) and once onboard, one of our suitcases in set up as a hamper. That's where all the worn items go.

geocruiser: Perhaps a snakeskin belt or shoes would be appropriate for sharing the patio with a snake...might scare him away if he thinks one of his relatives is being worn;)!

indiana71,

That is a great choice--snake skin. That gave me a laugh.

BlessedAZWife,

You might want to put in a yellow highlighter. This way they can mark off in the daily events list what they want to do. I also find post-it- notes useful on a cruise. I use them to leave DH a note if we are not together.

Highlighter & Post-It notes - 2 little items that can be very useful! Thanks geocruiser for the suggestions.

Anyone else have ideas for what could go in a Goody Bag?

Just remembered - DIL took magnets and used them to hold Deck Plans (decks w/ public spaces) on the wall. They were an easy reference for kids and adults...could include a couple in the GB...

I decided to do Goody Bags again and will give them to both families the night before SailAway:cool::).

geocruiser: I have added to my Gift Goody Bag list, small flashlight & sewing kit. Cards are always in the suitcase - that's what we do when the grandkids go to bed and the adults are feeling competitive.

Thanks for the continued suggestions - keep them coming!

This is from one of the many blogs I subscribe to. I've changed some of the wording to fit CCFs, but it's a good project when we're between cruises. (from Caitlin @ Merrythoughts for this Closet Purge)

ONE. Take everything out of your closet and dressers. Everything.

TWO. Go through every piece and ask yourself:

Is it in good condition?

Have I worn it on a cruise in the last year?

Does it fit well?

Last, (and probably most important) do I love it? Does it make me feel great whenever I wear it?

THREE. Get some big boxes or bags.

Anything that didn’t have a yes answer must be separated into one of these categories…

Trash. Stained shirts, ripped pants, old undies… Just let go of them already, folks.

Donate. This pile should be the largest. Fill it and get them out of the house quickly.

Sell. For items that don’t make the cut but were expensive or you never got around to wearing - sell them. And don’t try to sell everything – a lot of things just need to be donated.

Undecided. If you can’t decide on some things, put them back and make a list of those items. Anything that you haven’t pulled out to wear on the Next Cruise, donate it!

Save. It’s okay to save a few sentimental things. Is there a good story with the item… is it rare… keep it. Just limit yourself.

FOUR. Repeat at least once a year. You should be left with a collection that you truly love and makes you feel and look great!

Things I always make sure I have and would be great for a goody bag:

A watch: purchased at the dollar store and put on my beach bag handle (while my wristwatch is left in the safe in the room). One watch usually lasts a few cruises - but if it gets wet or ruined, no harm - I can afford another one!

Hand sanitizer: comes with a rubber loop and is attached to my beach bag handle for easy use.

Also, if you are stopping at a private island, I always buy the inflatable rings at the dollar store. Just big enough to lean on in the water (and hold my drink at the same time ;)) and much less expensive than renting the mats. When we finish with them, we find someone (usually a child) to give them to. (These might be especially great for the kids in your group.)

One other small, inexpensive item I always need - Chapstick. The sun is absolutely brutal on my lips.