All things EARTH...

I hereby open this thread to talk about all things EARTH...

EARTH refers to people that look their best when they wear WARM and MUTED colors...other color systems call this coloring AUTUMN...all colors can be warm and muted...it's just a matter of finding the right tone of each and every one based on the current fashion offerings...not all colors will be possible to find at all times, so it's important to get what you can when you can...and this thread can help us all in identifying our colors and where we can find them...

All are invited to join in this discussion...if you are a color enthusiast, then you are most welcome...

Let the discussion begin!

• Like 1

WooHoo; thanks for starting this, Anita!

Busy right now, but you KNOW I will be chiming in :)

Here are a couple of helpful links for identifying Earth Coloring, courtesy of our #1 Color Guru, CJW:

http://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/earth/

What to wear if you have Warm & Muted/EARTH Coloring:

http://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/earth-what-to-wear/

CJW's Earth Color Chart

elementsearth.jpg

Edited by JaneStarr

I love to see these colors repeated on the screen. Too bad they are so hard to find in stores!

I hear people say things like "you are lucky, I see so much brown in the stores!" Firstly, I'm not seeing nearly as much as I used to, and secondly...be aware, not all browns are warm. Many of the browns right now are quite cool in town.

Where do you find your clothes?

I love to see these colors repeated on the screen. Too bad they are so hard to find in stores!

I hear people say things like "you are lucky, I see so much brown in the stores!" Firstly, I'm not seeing nearly as much as I used to, and secondly...be aware, not all browns are warm. Many of the browns right now are quite cool in town.

Where do you find your clothes?

I agree that it can be hard to find our colors, Laurie. Need to be careful even about gold toned clothes right now because the designers seem to be weaving in cool/silver metallic threads :eek:

Jane

I was just diagnosed as an Earth gal this past week and I'm having a very difficult time finding/identifying the right tones and colors. We're leaving Saturday for a 7 day cruise and I was hoping to incorporate a few new things. When I hit the stores, though, everything seemed cool and bright. :-( Luckily, in going through my closet I realized I had a few things that I knew were solidly Earth color/tone, so I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate them into my cruise wardrobe.

I'm really looking forward to continuing this conversation with you all. :-)

:-) amcb

It can be super difficult to find EARTH colors when spring clothes hit the stores! And it can feel so WEIRD to be dressing in the colors that are just too much like autumn when the weather is starting to warm up...I don't think you ladies are as warm as I am yet though! We are having highs in the mid to upper 70s! Gotta love Texas! LOL.

I will shop anywhere for clothes...right now I am in big time bargain hunting mode because I am in the process of losing weight and inches...I have a big goal before I turn 40 in March 2012...I am trying to keep the motivation up by getting rid of bottoms when I shrink out of them and getting new ones in the proper sizes...so I am working on a minimalist wardrobe.

I started the closet clearing when I found out I was an EARTH last February/March...after we moved over the summer and DS went back to school...I did a serious closet clean out using a blog I found and a Tim Gunn book for inspiration...when I was done, there wasn't a single thing in my closet/drawers that I didn't love in some way...the drawers all closed easily...there was 2+" in-between all my hangers in the closet...I discovered outfits and things that went together that I didn't ever see before...I had such fun with my "new found wardrobe"...

I have finally hit the stage where I am shrinking out of the smallest of the sizes that I had kept in my closet...and am finally at the stage where I am buying clothes...but like I said...I am in anticipation of changing sizes regularly and thus, I am in the hunt for a BARGAIN. My latest finds were at Kohl's and JCPenny...but I was shopping the clearance racks so I didn't pay too much attention to the new offerings...I do remember seeing a LOT of what struck me as Earth colors in Kohl's.

I finally fit into all the mall shops. I picked up a great pair of shorts in Aeropostale...a pair of stretch twill burmudas in a color that vaguely reminds me of cardboard...LOL...they go with just about everything...I also found some great camis in Forever 21...the one at my local mall is a super Forever 21 and they have a basics section with basic items like camis, t-shirts, shirts in various sleeve lengths, leggings...and the camis were $2.50!!

I did have a shopping splurge in Anthropologie...Christmas present shopping...they have a TON of EARTH tones...

I guess what I'm saying is that I will shop anywhere! Since I will end up with a whole new wardrobe within the next year...I'm kind of rediscovering/discovering my own style as I go along...Where all do you like to shop? Retail therapy keeps me motivated...I enjoy window shopping and walking around the mall (it's one exit away)...I tend to shop with people in mind (like looking for Fire colors for Mom)...so if I know where all people like, I can give a report anytime I decide to partake of some mall action...

Jane, thanks for posting the palatte! And the links to other current discussions! Now I don't have to! LOL...I went to eat dinner after getting this started. Laura...I'm so glad you are still around! I haven't run across any of your posts anywhere so I didn't know!

editted to add...welcome AMCB (are you a trucker? just curious LOL)...looking forward to getting to know you. Please feel free to post pictures of anything you want opinions on...especially getting ready for your cruise! I know Laura and Jane are totally enthusiastic too...we will do our best to help you out!

Edited by Anita Latte

I have to say, I loved Natalie Portman's dress in your link. It didn't seem like a color I could wear though. It has a warm tone to it...we can't put every possible color on a chart. That can be where I get stuck. Blues, purples.

I have to say, I loved Natalie Portman's dress in your link. It didn't seem like a color I could wear though. It has a warm tone to it...we can't put every possible color on a chart. That can be where I get stuck. Blues, purples.

I have the same problem, Laurie. I'd really like more blue and purple examples on my color card since I have trouble telling which colors 'blend' with the ones on the Earth swatch card.

Jane

Anita, I'm an earth and in the summer I wear lots of linen, which looks really pretty in camel and olive green and bronze colors.

I have a glorious deep forest green silk dress and camel patent leather peek-a-boo toe Adrienne Vittadini pumps and I'd like to wear them on the first formal night. The only thing is I have to lose at least seven pounds to fit back into the dress! I tell you, winter in Indiana was a bear this year...:mad:

I absolutely have been LOVING the purples...I think it was Susan Sarandon that had one of the first EARTH purples for the awards? I would love to find one for a formal! They are hard to identify, the purples...it has helped me to help Mom identify the FIRE purple...to first get the difference between the warm and the cool purples...now to find the muted version...I would have thought that Natalie Portman's dress was a bit bright to be EARTH, but it did look fabulous on her and the translation of color through television and the internet is not necessarily true to life...

One thing that can help with identifying the blues...go to a fabric store and look in the home dec fabrics...if you can find patterns where blue is combined with yellow and/or green (which are easier to identify), then you can start to get a feel for Earth blue...I have a table cloth from Target with warm muted colors including blue...any home dec section in the store will usually do...most often, muted colors are used in decorating...unless you are looking in the children's section...

dln929...wearing linen is a good idea...the fabric choice can make a big difference in how it feels to wear the color. If you are talking about wearing that formal for the cruise in your ticker, you have a lot of time to lose those 7 pounds...I highly recommend ZUMBA! LOL. Midwest winters ARE hard...lived in Kansas for many years...Colorado was easier because there were winter sports. Camel patent leather sounds really pretty! What a find!

I am in the process of losing weight and inches...I have a big goal before I turn 40 in March 2012...

Jane, thanks for posting the palatte! And the links to other current discussions! Now I don't have to! LOL...I went to eat dinner after getting this started. Laura...I'm so glad you are still around! I haven't run across any of your posts anywhere so I didn't know!

editted to add...welcome AMCB (are you a trucker? just curious LOL)...looking forward to getting to know you. Please feel free to post pictures of anything you want opinions on...especially getting ready for your cruise! I know Laura and Jane are totally enthusiastic too...we will do our best to help you out!

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all as well.

Anita, I am working on a big weight and inches loss too, but my before 40 goal is coming sooner - June 2011!!!

I will probably have to make do with what I have for clothes at this point. I found some nice brick red shells in my closet (I LOVE red!) and a nice coral tank top. And of course, some cream shells too. The staples of my closet have mostly been black, cream and red. Other than that I'll have to work with my non earth clothes for the cruise. We leave Saturday at 4:30 am so I probably better get packing!! ;-)

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all as well.

Anita, I am working on a big weight and inches loss too, but my before 40 goal is coming sooner - June 2011!!!

I will probably have to make do with what I have for clothes at this point. I found some nice brick red shells in my closet (I LOVE red!) and a nice coral tank top. And of course, some cream shells too. The staples of my closet have mostly been black, cream and red. Other than that I'll have to work with my non earth clothes for the cruise. We leave Saturday at 4:30 am so I probably better get packing!! ;-)

Welcome! I can totally relate to the weight loss thing. I'm actually a Lifetime member of WWs and at goal basically since 1996, when I lost 30 lbs. I'm always trying to lose 5 -10 more lbs to stay on top of things. I have actually worked (very PT) for WWs for ~8 years...shhh....

Jane

Welcome! I can totally relate to the weight loss thing. I'm actually a Lifetime member of WWs and at goal basically since 1996, when I lost 30 lbs. I'm always trying to lose 5 -10 more lbs to stay on top of things. I have actually worked (very PT) for WWs for ~8 years...shhh....

Jane

I'm impressed! Keeping to your goal is something to be very proud of!

As an update to my Earth challenges, I dropped in really quick today at Talbots and Coldwater Creek, two stores where I can usually find at least a twin set that I like. So I'm looking around and realize that I am completely incapable of determining if something has cool or warm undertones. *sigh* I saw a few melon/terracotta/peachy colored tops, but I just couldn't be sure they were warm toned. :-( And since it was a super quick drop in, I didn't really have time to sit and ponder.

It will just have to wait till we get back, I'm afraid.

So how exactly does one determine whether something has cool or warm undertones?

So how exactly does one determine whether something has cool or warm undertones?

This is the million dollar question!

Cool v. warm undertones is all RELATIVE...how's that for helpful?

It's true though. Which is one reason why it takes training your eye because there are no hard and fast rules. It would make me crazy when the art teacher (I volunteered in art one year) would teach about the color wheel and call the green, blue and purple side of the color wheel the cool colors and the red, orange and yellow side of the color wheel the warm side. But we know that this rule is not always true.

If you think back to the big 64 box of crayons...there would be colors like red-violet and violet-red...and they were different...if you have ever shopped for red...you have found blue-reds and orange-reds...one is usually cool and one is usually warm...my only point here is that there are no hard and fast rules about temperature as it relates to color...even if you were ever taught that...it was an elementary understanding...and what Curt is teaching and what all these color analysis systems are based on is something more advanced.

Generally speaking, people will say that a blue undertone is cool and a yellow undertone is warm...so if you have red...the more it goes toward the blue side of red...the more cool it is...the more it goes toward yellow (orange)...the more warm it is...

I hope that these photos come across correctly on your monitor (there is always the danger of monitors being calibrated differently and you may not see the same picture in the same way that I see the picture...kind of like the old color adjustment on a television)...when you put two reds together, then you can make a good comparison...in the following, the dress on the left is a WARM orangey red and the dress on the right is a COOL bluish red...these are both bright colors...even as you look at the models...their skin tones and hair colors are warm versus cool...whether that is true to life or enhanced...I don't know...but the difference is here to see:

edressme_2148_66339453-1.jpg

Generally speaking, you are going to be making comparisons as you shop to determine if a color is warm or cool...if you have purchased color cards from Curt or anyone else, then these function as a control...you try to see if the color that you are looking at blends into the colors on the card...when you group colors together, then you can see whether or not you make what I called a "Happy Color Party" on a previous thread...

Here is an EARTH green color party. Notice that while there are many different shades of green, one green doesn't stand out...they are all equal in the photo...they blend...even as they are different...there is no one green that is drawing more attention to itself than any other:

007.jpg

These are ALL EARTH greens...notice that when you put all the greens together...you may not even feel comfortable calling any of the greens simply by the name green...they become a yellow-green, a gray-green, a blue-green.

And the thing is that when you introduce a color that doesn't blend into a place where all the colors DO blend...you can sing the song from Sesame Street to yourself...one of these colors is doing its own thing...as in this photo, when I add an ICE green into the EARTH mix...can you pick it out?

018.jpg

This one is slightly harder to see...because whereas ICE is the exact opposite of EARTH...in that ICE is cool and clear and EARTH is warm and muted...when you put an AIR shirt in the mix...it might be harder to detect...because it is a muted color mixed in with other muted colors...but it still doesn't blend:

020.jpg

Again...difficult to see online...but work with me here...the shirt in the middle is the AIR shirt...it is a muted, COOL, blue-green shirt...directly below that shirt is a muted, WARM, blue-green shirt...if you go back to the first picture it is more clear that the shirt above the shorts is BLUE green...but in THIS picture with the AIR shirt nearby...you can see the yellow undertone in the blue-green shirt...because it looks more yellow-green than the AIR shirt which looks more blue-green...because it is all based on comparisons and only by making comparisons can you tell whether you are dealing with a warm or cool color.

The whole trick, of course, is training your eye to see what it means to have a color blend with another color...This is something that as you become more and more practiced, you become better and better at identifying. I don't know how well this huge post answered your question...it really is as we get into specifics that the "eye training" takes place...and I guess it would be worth repeating again to sum up my main point...and that is...you determine warm v. cool by making comparisons...

Wow, Anita! That was incredibly helpful and really clarified where I'm getting hung up. I guess I was expecting absolutes. It's good to know that it's not quite that easy. Also, I seem to have trouble differentiating when I add the whole bright vs. muted to the mix. It's almost like if I can identify something as bright vs. muted, then I have trouble determining warm vs. cool and vice versa.

This is making me rethink the items in my wardrobe that I was pretty sure were warm/muted. Let's take reds for instance. I've always looked good in what I've thought of as blue based reds, but now I'm wondering if it isn't so much that they're blue based as that they're muted. Hmmm.... I have much to ponder.

Thanks again for all the insight.

I'm back! My puppy decided he needed to sit on my laptop last night. I think he does a very good of letting me know when it's time to stop typing and surfing. :rolleyes:

Now, when I hear someone say colors such as peach and melon, I think warm. Instantly, I feel that you were looking at spring or autumn (fire or earth) colors. I have found that if I am having a great deal of trouble finding autumn colors, I can consider some spring tones,especially coral/melon/peachy tones. Generally speaking, I think it can be hard to find the lighter shades for us.

Also, if you are in a bind, accessories can get you through. If a shirt is a bit springy, pair it up with some nice brown pants and a neclace that you know works for you already.

Whatever you do, don't wear a winter or summer tone near your face. You can get away with those black pants, but a black jacket makes me look like death, as my girls would say!:(

We have a Talbots not too far from here, but they can be a more expensive than what I want to spend lately. I too have the weight dilemma. My weight has gone up and down over the years, but always within a small range. Then, about 3-4 years ago, I notice I wasn't losing anything, just gaining. I attributed it to the 40's metabolism slowdown. That was partly right, and the other part was that my thyroid was underactive. Having asthma slows me down too.

I have the desire to loose weight and feel healthier,but I'm thinking more of a goal towards lifestyle change than a goal of a specific weight loss. I'm struggling a bit to find a way to do better.

I am hoping to check out Kohls this weekend. We have one fairly close, but not close enough where you just stop in every week or two. Another thing I need to do is take a Saturday or Sunday and just shop by myself. I love the company of my husband or one of my daughters, but I find myself either shopping for them instead, or rushing because I think it bores them. They aren't doing anything wrong, it's just me. I think if I take more time, I will do better with my choices.

Let's see if this works...this is one of my favorite pictures of me and my daughters. The daughter you see with the really red hair is naturally more of a golden light brown color, and a spring. Me and my other daughter are autumns. My hair is colored a bit redder than normal, but it is not a sharp contrast to my natural color.

LaurieGirls_021.jpg

By the way, that was a great sample of the different reds. Orangy reds work really good for warm toned people like us. A brick red, which has that orangy undertone is fantastic for an earth...if we can find it!

I really want to find more ivory for myself. Once summer rolls around, I can only find white. Even when I find ivory, it really isn't quite as deep as it should be.

Laura...about the lifestyle change...this is exactly where I am...I have tried going to gyms and doing various work out routines there...I have come to accept the fact that I HATE gyms...I could stand Lifetime Fitness because it felt like going to a spa...(they are SUPER nice if you haven't been...steam rooms in the locker rooms...indoor pools. whirlpools, saunas...) ANYWAY...I decided that if I were to make a lifestyle choice then I had to find an activity that I enjoyed...I tried Zumba last September and I was hooked...it's the thing that has been the impetus for my whole change...if you can find the activity that you can do and look forward to doing and will continue to do (DH and DS plays tennis), even after you reach goal, and can get started with it...then that will be the beginning of lasting change...

I love all the pictures you have ever posted of the photo shoot you and your DDs did...BEAUTIFUL.

Thanks for confirming that the red example came through! I tried to get extreme examples to insure that it would!

AMCB...I'm glad that helped you...it just takes practice...I know exactly what you are saying about clear v. muted and cool v. warm and sometimes it's all you can do to figure out one but then the other is rough business...

I've tried to figure out a way to describe muted v. clear for a long time...do you garden?...I think a good description is to look at the color as if it were a flower...would the color hold it's own if it were planted in FULL sun?...or does the color look more like it would if the flower were in the shade?...does the flower look freshly picked?...or does it look a little spent?...if we are talking full sun and freshly picked, then we are talking about a more clear color...if we are talking about shade and looking a little spent, then we are talking more about a muted color...

Generally speaking, I think AIR colors look powdery...and EARTH colors look BAKED...like the Grand Canyon...Sedona...like the color was out in the sun for too long...faded isn't really the right word...because Earth colors are generally rich feeling...it's baked...

BRICK is a FABULOUS color for EARTH...I picked up the March issue of InStyle magazine yesterday...I only pick it up every once in a while when it looks like there is a lot to look at...there is a nice spread in there on the color they are calling CINNAMON...they should many different variations of the color...I would call the color more like RUST than BRICK...regardless, by and large, it is a WONDERFUL Earth color...I recommend flipping through that mag to see the spread if you can...I wonder if it's online?...could be time to grab some of that color while we can...

FIRE post on an EARTH thread... :D ...

Chiming in on the discussion of clear vs muted. To me, I think of a clear color as being very reflective of light. The light just bounces off of a clear color and smacks you in the face, right up alongside the head. It's the essence of saying something is "jeweled."

Whereas a muted color absorbs light. The light enters the color and makes it feel very cozy and comforting. I know that a color is more muted if it FEELS better to me. If you can understand what I mean? It's like the color itself is very comforting.

An example, the FIRE coral vs the EARTH coral. The EARTH coral just feels better to me and I know that if I put it on that it will look good (being warm) but not spectacular. However, the FIRE coral makes me think something like "who in their right mind would wear that color unless they want to imitate a parrot?" Well, that would be MY color, right? I don't know why the bright, clear color goes on my body and just makes me look spectacular. It seems to actually "mute" a bit when I put it on. Hanging on the hangar it looks like a siren song, but wearing it does something... I can't describe.

Back to muted vs clear. To me, it's like comparing stones. Natural turquoise, pearls, slate, flagstone, pavers... muted. Diamonds, polished stones, polished marble... clear. So, for me to distinguish clear vs muted, I just think about the quality of the light... reflective.. or absorbed.

I have gone through Curt's Awards threads for the past couple years...the ones where he clearly identifies Earth celebrities and critiques their gowns on the red carpet of various awards ceremonies. I have complied the following list of identified EARTH ladies:

Aishwarya Rai

Anette Bening

Carey Mulligan

Celine Dion

Eva Longoria

Heidi Klum

Hilary Swank

Jayma Mays

Jennifer Lopez

Julianne Moore

Katey Sagal

Kathryn Bigelow

Keri Hilson

Kyra Sedgwick

Lucy Walker

Mandy Moore

Mariah Carey

Mariska Hargitay

Mavis Staples

Melissa Leo

Molly Ringwald

Natalie Portman

Nichole Richie

Queen Latifah

Sarah Highland

Sigourney Weaver

Susan Sarandon

If ever you are in the mood to cruise around on the internet and try to identify good EARTH colors...looking at photos of these ladies can be quite educational...you can use Google Images for find photos...I also found another site:

http://www.superiorpics.com/celeb.html

Where there are galleries for various different celebrities...if you click on the photos, the bigger version is very large...

Since we have been talking about EARTH red...I found some lovely examples...

Julianne Moore

Moore_AG28888424004.jpg

Susan Sarandon

Sarandon_JS18638.jpg

Jayna Mays...the color may appear to be a cool color in this photo...but I think that is just how it is coming across in this close up...the dress isn't clashing with her coloring...and your eyes still go to her face...if the dress were truly cool...her skin would look very unhealthy...but it doesn't here at all...

6301_mays_j76291.jpg

Hilary Swank...I think that Curt would say that the necklace was all wrong here...this is an ICE necklace and it isn't doing anything to enhance the warmth in her skin or the tone of the dress...notice that the red looks slightly different in the two pictures...BUT Hilary Swank still looks great...eyes still go straight to her face in the all-over-cool-toned photo...because she blends with the color she is wearing...

hilary-swank-asymmetrical-red-dress.jpg

Heidi Klum...here is a great photo...if I'm not mistaken this is a good example of what happens when EARTH wears a FIRE red on the left side of the photo...the right side is EARTH...on the left...the color looks pretty good on Heidi, but the color is grabbing the attention...on the right, the color is perfect because your eyes go straight to her face...clear versus muted...

0222-heidi-klum-oscars-2008-2009-dr.jpg

Hello Earth Sisters (and brothers)!

I've been using the color system most of my adult life. I can't say I was happy to be an "Autumn"...I've never been crazy about many of the colors! But, in all honesty, they look much better on me than the cooler colors. I do tend to wear a larger spectrum of the teal family than the charts allow for. I love all shades of aqua. I actually had my colors done in in my early 20's by a company that made a custom packet for you after trying on a large amount of drapes in the warm/cool pallets. My pallet did contain a large amount of teals/aquas among the warm colors.

I've found this Earth and Fire discussion very interesting because I have found that I do like some fiery colors. I love a bright salmon, and find that many of the fluorescent colors (greens, pinks, orange, blues) make my skin look healthy.

When I was little, my hair was a coppery light brown. It got darker as I got older, but always had red/copper highlights. I'm very fair, and have dark brown eyes. Now, I have my hair highlighted with red and gold. I tell the stylist to make them "chunky" because if I wanted it to look natural, I wouldn't get it colored.

This is a photo of me and my two daughters (both are Autumn/Earths I believe). My top was much warmer than it appears in this photo but my younger daughter's red was very, very warm, and the contrast made mine look a bit cooler than it actually is.

Thanks for the Earth thread!!

IMG_3628a.jpg

Another thing to mention is that going back to school days, I think we often classify colors a certain way. I can sometimes even make the mistake of looking at a summer color and saying, "is that for me?" But, with comparisons, you can eliminate that issue.

A good example would be Julianne Moore's shirt in a previous post. That is a beautiful brick red. But, since it can be hard to find...my eyes would likely stop when I see a cranberry color, and that is a summer color. (my husband is a summer)

Purples, I say periwinkle versus plum. Now, finding periwinkle, especially the darker version that works on an autumn/earth, can be hard. Susan Sarandon's dress for one of the awards show was perfect. Plum, that's good for a summer/air like my husband.

Blue completely knocks me for a loop. And, I'm still struggling with Natalie Portman's purple dress, but I can look at it and say it looks right. Maybe we forget that there is no way possible to put every single shade on a card.

ChattieKathy, welcome aboard. One thing I love to see if pictures...for starters, it's like the color cards. Not everything can be summed up in one or two pictures of autumn/earth people. Seeing the various hair colors, eye colors and skin is so important.

Secondly, it lets us see how colors work for us!

My daughter, who is a spring often wonders if she is an autumn. Curt was split for a long time on which. I think the catch with her is that her skin is so incredibly pale. Plus, the types of clothes she is drawn too can be found in fire colors, but seldom earth tones.

Here is another photo from my older daughter's wedding. When she was little, I thought she might be a winter with her very fair skin and dark hair (my mom is a winter). But, when I would put her in winter colors, she would actually look sick! As she has gotten older, she has experimented with lots of different colors, but tends to come back to an autumn pallet.

Her wedding dress was ivory. My dress was a champagne color. The wall behind really helped in this photo as well!

4648216019_26344bf163_b.jpg