Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

I'm 35, work out 13 hours a week, eat healthy, am a size 0/2, and every cruise I a cursed with ballooning calves, ankles, and feet. I drink copious amounts of water on board (bottled and ship, doesn't seem to matter), eat low sodium, work out on the ship, etc...I still swell. I purchased the black cherry capsules, very hopeful they would work. An early trial precruise did not show promising results, but I still took them on the cruise. I also tried visiting the sauna on the cruise, as I saw positive results prior to the cruise.

Ugh...by day 4 of my last cruise, my legs were huge compared to normal, and I was getting cankles. Desperate, I went to the spa, wondering if the iontheramie (sp?) treatment would help. They recommended a different treatment, but I was unwilling to pay $250 for something that may not work. So, they sold me the DIY kit...a body brush and cellutox oil. They said it was poor circulation in my legs. They also told me this wouldn't happen if I took better care of myself, which really ticked me off, because I'm anal about my exercise, food, etc. Anyhow, I saw results almost immediately, and had NO swelling when I left the ship. I will definitely be using this for future travels!

I'm 35, work out 13 hours a week, eat healthy, am a size 0/2, and every cruise I a cursed with ballooning calves, ankles, and feet. I drink copious amounts of water on board (bottled and ship, doesn't seem to matter), eat low sodium, work out on the ship, etc...I still swell. I purchased the black cherry capsules, very hopeful they would work. An early trial precruise did not show promising results, but I still took them on the cruise. I also tried visiting the sauna on the cruise, as I saw positive results prior to the cruise.

Ugh...by day 4 of my last cruise, my legs were huge compared to normal, and I was getting cankles. Desperate, I went to the spa, wondering if the iontheramie (sp?) treatment would help. They recommended a different treatment, but I was unwilling to pay $250 for something that may not work. So, they sold me the DIY kit...a body brush and cellutox oil. They said it was poor circulation in my legs. They also told me this wouldn't happen if I took better care of myself, which really ticked me off, because I'm anal about my exercise, food, etc. Anyhow, I saw results almost immediately, and had NO swelling when I left the ship. I will definitely be using this for future travels!

Hi , my husband always get the swollen feet and ankles , no matter what we do , and sometimes it is accompanied by a rashie look. Could you tell us a bit more about the DIY kit you bought , you said a body brush (soft or stiff ??) and cellutox oil, I imagine we could find this in the drugs stores or spas , did you apply the oil after showers ? or bedtime ? then scrub on with brush ? Thanks so much for sharing , because a lot of people have this problem.

Cori

I am like you, Chigirl, exercise and eat well and sleep well, etc. And I well BAD. Not much helps. The black cherry helped me more than anything else but I'd be willing to give your idea a try. I get upset when people think you are not taking care of yourself when you swell. I think some of us are just made this way regardless of our lifestyles.

• Like 1

Hi , my husband always get the swollen feet and ankles , no matter what we do , and sometimes it is accompanied by a rashie look. Could you tell us a bit more about the DIY kit you bought , you said a body brush (soft or stiff ??) and cellutox oil, I imagine we could find this in the drugs stores or spas , did you apply the oil after showers ? or bedtime ? then scrub on with brush ? Thanks so much for sharing , because a lot of people have this problem.

Cori

It's a stiff body brush from Elemis. I don't know if you could buy the oil in a drug store; I will have to check. I know you can order it from Elemis on their web site. I think the brushing is the bigger component as it stimulates circulation. You're supposed to brush twice a day, starting at the soles of your feet and work your way up. Don't just concentrate on where you're swollen. The oil gets applied to "problem" areas with a firm touch.

I am like you, Chigirl, exercise and eat well and sleep well, etc. And I well BAD. Not much helps. The black cherry helped me more than anything else but I'd be willing to give your idea a try. I get upset when people think you are not taking care of yourself when you swell. I think some of us are just made this way regardless of our lifestyles.

I was SOOOO mad when she said I need to take better care of myself. Some people are just made this way. I have hypertension...there's no way I should have it based on my lifestyle. Those are just the dice we roll:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi , my husband always get the swollen feet and ankles , no matter what we do , and sometimes it is accompanied by a rashie look.

Cori

Cori.....I have had this same thing happen to me, the "rashie look". It was on a Norway trip on QM2...the weather was chilly so I wore a pair of lightweight cashmere socks that I have worn many other times. However, this day I walked a lot on top of the swollen ankle thing I get on ships only....never any other time.

When I got up in the morning the first thing I noticed was what looked like a bad rash all around my lower calf and on the shins. I'm a slender person by the way, with very slender ankles.....usually. I got really nervous as this looked so bad so I went to the medical center on the ship.

Even the Dr was stumped by it and said it was not really a rash despite looking like one. We finally figured out what caused it.....the band on the socks was snug.....with the ankles and lower leg swollen the snugness was intensified and capillaries above and below broke and made it look like a rash.

SO you might want to tell your husband to watch tight bands on his socks and change their position frequently. I iced my legs, kept them up frequently and made sure I moved my sock band when I had to wear socks the next day. That seemed to help and in a day or two the "rash" was gone......but not the swelling!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Edited by patwell

Thanks patwell: My DH has been to Dr.s for it as well , and I don't think that it is his sock band because he only has diabetes socks and they are made not to be tight but to expand. The Dr. did not know what it was either , so in his case I don't think it is the socks. Also on most cruises he uses sandals alot , so no socks. But we will be deligent watching out for it. We did use the maximum strenght hydrocoritzone we got from a pharmacist , and it seems to help some. I will try to locate some of the oil and see if that and the use of a firm brush help. From what I have read on these boards , a lot of people have this problem on cruises, we still think it might have something to do with the use of salt in the food, don't know . But we are always looking for answeres.

Cori

chigirlcruizn: Thanks for the information about the brush and oil , we are going to check that out.

Cori

This happens to many of us......me included. I just returned from the

MED....they did not swell as badly as some of my other cruises but they

did swell......I had tried the "Black Cherry Capsules".....nope:rolleyes: they

did not help me.

They did swell up on the loooonnng flight to Rome....then they seemed

to go down (somewhat).

On the ship? Well, to be honest, we did ALOT of tours..it was a very

port intensive cruise and they seemed to do fine while I was out

every day!....now I have to say on the flight back home? They did

swell up again:rolleyes:.......no pain, but definitely swollen....now I am home

and they are totally back to normal.

I don't think I will ever find a solution to get them to not swell at all

on my cruises:eek:

Maybe I need to try the brush and oil..........

Edited by Lois R

This happens to many of us......me included. I just returned from the

MED....they did not swell as badly as some of my other cruises but they

did swell......I had tried the "Black Cherry Capsules".....nope:rolleyes: they

did not help me.

They did swell up on the loooonnng flight to Rome....then they seemed

to go down (somewhat).

On the ship? Well, to be honest, we did ALOT of tours..it was a very

port intensive cruise and they seemed to do fine while I was out

every day!....now I have to say on the flight back home? They did

swell up again:rolleyes:.......no pain, but definitely swollen....now I am home

and they are totally back to normal.

I don't think I will ever find a solution to get them to not swell at all

on my cruises:eek:

Maybe I need to try the brush and oil..........

I was so hopeful with the black cherry, but nada! We'll see how the brush works next week. I have to go to Hong Kong. I wear compression socks on the 16 hour flights...no issues. It's day 2 or 3 I start to have issues with swelling. I get it cruising and on land trips!

Edited by Chigirlcruzin

I was so hopeful with the black cherry, but nada! We'll see how the brush works next week. I have to go to Hong Kong. I wear compression socks on the 16 hour flights...no issues. It's day 2 or 3 I start to have issues with swelling. I get it cruising and on land trips!

One of the gals on my cruise was also on the same flight. She wore

"compression hose" (overseas flight)....she told me they help in

preventing her legs/ankles from swelling. My ankles definitely got

swollen on that flight but I have no desire to wear hose.

One of the gals on my cruise was also on the same flight. She wore

"compression hose" (overseas flight)....she told me they help in

preventing her legs/ankles from swelling. My ankles definitely got

swollen on that flight but I have no desire to wear hose.

These are socks I buy in a running store, so they look like athletic socks. I take off my shoes for my long international flights and put the socks on...the just look like black socks :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Hong Kong (thus the reason for the 2 am posting lol). I always swell there, too, but I brought brushed twice daily and used the oil once a day, and I HAD NO SWELLING! Looks like I finally found something that works! I do think the brushing has more to do with it than the oil, but I will continue to use the oil since I have it.

Edited by Chigirlcruzin

I believe that Nordstrom carries Elemis products, if you have a store near you.:)

I'm in Chicago...I have several close to me. Thanks, I usually buy my HABA products at Sephora, Ulta, or Walgreens, so I would have continued to bypass that area :)

I have the same problem. But I have poor circulation from 3rd degree burns. Anyhow, I work 10 hours a day and by the afternoon I would be miserable. I decided to try Miracle Socks. Yep, the "as seen on TV" ones. What a blessing they are. We recently went to Jamaica from Nevada. 5 hours to Atlanta, 3 hours to Jamaica. I wore the socks for the flight there and had no problems. On the trip back I didn't and I paid for it. I was so miserable..... I will never travel without them again.

I have the same problem. But I have poor circulation from 3rd degree burns. Anyhow, I work 10 hours a day and by the afternoon I would be miserable. I decided to try Miracle Socks. Yep, the "as seen on TV" ones. What a blessing they are. We recently went to Jamaica from Nevada. 5 hours to Atlanta, 3 hours to Jamaica. I wore the socks for the flight there and had no problems. On the trip back I didn't and I paid for it. I was so miserable..... I will never travel without them again.

I use compression socks as well. They help sooo much! I buy mine in the running store. These Miracle Socks are way cheaper...I paid $50 each at the running store!

I believe that Nordstrom carries Elemis products, if you have a store near you.:)

Thanks for this tip. "My" Nordstrom didn't have the cellutox oil, but they did have the moisturizer I love. The store I shopped only had about ten or so Elemis products.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a old thread yet I just wanted to let you know yesterday I bought the brush at Bed Bath and Beyond and I bought the Elemis oil at Nordstroms. My cruise is this Friday so I will let the cruise world know how it worked for me.

I will say last year I avoided water from the ship and as much salt in the foods I was eating as possible. I also did not order anything with a cream sauce on it. Funny once you start looking at the menu it seems like 80% of my choices had cream sauces. I also took a few aspirins before my flight which I read about somewhere online. I had very little swelling that cruise. I still liked the idea of the oil and brush so I'm going to give it a try. Darn that oil is expensive $63.50 I did also try searching online and found it in a smaller bottle I just didn't have time since our cruise leaves this weekend.

I'll be back mid August to let you know how it worked out. :)