fur hats

frannie

We are doing the scandinavian baltic cruise in august and i would like to get a genuine fur hat . Anyone that has done this cruise can you tell me which country is best to look for one and the approx cost . Femaie hat maybe fox or muskrat or lynx

Edited by frannie

We are doing the scandinavian baltic cruise in august and i would like to get a genuine fur hat . Anyone that has done this cruise can you tell me which country is best to look for one and the approx cost . Femaie hat maybe fox or muskrat or lynx

Probably Russia.

Russia, but be careful. The cheaper ones are usually not very good quality and are often cleverly put together little pieces rather than one using one or two pelts. Also, I'd familiarize myself with US laws with regards to bringing back animal pelts. I think there are violations and/or fees. Not sure but I'd definitely do research before spending money on a fur hat.

I am sure there are many shops where you could pick one up in the ports.

Hi There

Have seen many but price was very silly

Used to keep Chinchillas so not a fan of the fur trade best place for a fur coat is on the animal that grew it

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Actually, I bought mine in Estonia, and not expensive at all. I'm so sorry to say that I cannot remember the cost. We live in Houston, so I would not have bought it had it been outrageous. Have a wonderful trip.

Hi There

Used to keep Chinchillas so not a fan of the fur trade best place for a fur coat is on the animal that grew it

Yours Shogun

I feel the same way. The OP is from Canada so she will have to check with those customs regulations.

I feel the same way. The OP is from Canada so she will have to check with those customs regulations.

I remember seeing some in Helsinki at the market by the water downtown. Probably charge TBP ( tourist boosted prices) . Some web research for fur stores in Helsinki or , since someone posted about Tallin in that Town also could bring you a little out the main tourist route and into the real fur district . In Montreal it used to be not in old Montreal but on little side streets a little further in town. Have not been in that specific area for a while, so I can't say if it is still the case.

• 7 months later...
I got a fox hat in the market in Helsinki. I love it. It was so nice and warm on our day in Glacier Bay.

I have several fur hats I bought on eBay. I like mink, it is ranch raised, as is fox, so it depends on the look you like. Someone made a point about US law, which is just about the ranch raised issue. Just about all fur is ranch raised now, in Northern Europe, and northern US, Canada.....the cold climates.

I live in a snow town, so wear all kinds of hats. Fur is the warmest of all fabrics, and shakes out nicely from snow. Fake fur gets soggy! Knit fur is comfy, but not water proof.

Hi There

Yours Shogun

I'm with you. I'm not a fan of supporting the fur trade. And, there are probably alternatives that are just as warm and more versatile. Seems like an even bigger waste to buy and not need after the trip.

I'm with you. I'm not a fan of supporting the fur trade. And, there are probably alternatives that are just as warm and more versatile. Seems like an even bigger waste to buy and not need after the trip.

Fur processing is cruelty.

Edited by Bookish Angel