Do you wear your wedding rings to travel?

BunnyLove123

Hello all,

I have been on several cruises, 6 in total. I have traveled with my original wedding rings and never really considered until now maybe buying a "less expensive" set for my upcoming trip. Was just wondering what everyone else did. I'm not expecting to loose my originals, obviously... but I know sometimes things happen.

I can just envision me putting them in the safe on board and either forgetting the code or the safe getting stuck and not opening.

So, what do you ladies do? I have a friend that went on her honeymoon and wore just a simple "travel band", and left her solitare at home. I guess I'm just sentimental about my rings :o

Edited by BunnyLove123

I wear my rings ALL the time...I only take them off to clean them, so they are never "left" lying anywhere! They are meant to be worn. However, while my diamond is quite nice, it's certainly not the "Hope" diamond.....

I see no point in having nice things if you don't use them.

I wear my rings ALL the time...I only take them off to clean them, so they are never "left" lying anywhere! They are meant to be worn. However, while my diamond is quite nice, it's certainly not the "Hope" diamond.....

I'll second that. K

If you are seriously worried about the safe malfunctioning, don't be. Security can get your safe open.

On ship I wear my rings and bling but on shore its just my band. Even though I'm obviously a tourist no sense looking like a rich, stupid one.

I never take my rings off either, except to clean them myself. However, I'm starting to rethink this. We had an "incident" on a excursion on Dominica where some people were trying to ambush our bus. The tour bus driver acted quickly and nothing really happened. But, it made me rethink whether it's best not to wear them while traveling, especially on excursions.

No, I figure why stress about it?!

I plan on leaving my "real" wedding rings at home, and just wearing something simple. Why make oneself a potential target...I realize bad things can happen anywhere, but the goal of vacay is to be relaxed.

Honestly, as long as I still look married, I really don't care what anyone thinks of my temporary rings.

I always wear my band & engagement ring, but I don't have a diamond - I have a vintage sapphire. I don't wear them if I'm going in the water but I don't tend to do Caribbean cruises so that's not a problem for me. We did do a sailing trip in the BVIs for my 40th birthday a couple years ago and since I knew I'd be in the water every day, I did leave my jewelry at home for that trip. But I travel in developing countries for work and still wear my rings....They are a part of me. If I lose them, I'll be sad but I will survive;) (the ring is vintage but not heirloom in my family -I know that's a big difference for many)

No, I figure why stress about it?!

I plan on leaving my "real" wedding rings at home, and just wearing something simple. Why make oneself a potential target...I realize bad things can happen anywhere, but the goal of vacay is to be relaxed.

Honestly, as long as I still look married, I really don't care what anyone thinks of my temporary rings.

Welcome to cruise critic. A comic would have a lot of material from your last sentence.;) Enjoy your cruise.:)

My rule is to never travel with anything that would cause me to be upset if I did not bring it home. I take NO jewelry except a very cheap watch. I don't feel the need to show off.

Really wearing your wedding ring is showing off? We dont take our rings off and leave them behind for anything.Been wearing them for 30 years and will be wearing them for 30 more.:)

I do not understand the concern about wearing your wedding rings. I've traveled all over and never took off my wedding rings. Now, my set is rather plain and only has a single .5 carat diamond. I never saw the need for some blingy thing, so my hubby obliged.

My thought is this: if you don't feel comfortable wearing the wedding rings that you were given on your wedding day to symbolize your commitment to your spouse, maybe you should picked something different and used your right ring finger for your temporary show-off "bling" ;)

Not really understanding the comment about "feeling the need to show off"....never possibly considered wearing my wedding ring as "showing off". I have always worn my ring on every cruise and vacation I have been on for the last 25 years. Not "showing off" or bragging at all, but its 5 carats and I've never felt the need or desire to leave it home and I've never felt unsafe wearing it. If you are leaving the ship and uncomfortable wearing it that day for whatever reason, put it in the safe for the day. It will be there when you return. Never understood the people who say they wear "fake" rings and leave the real thing at home.

Maybe the OP was just asking about leaving them "home" because they were concerned about theft? I don't think it has anything to do with bragging or showing off.

I only take my wedding band with me on vacay, leave the engagement ring at home. While I am laying out suntanning, I leave my band in the safe so I don't get sunscreen all over it. I just wear it at night.

If you are seriously worried about the safe malfunctioning, don't be. Security can get your safe open.

On ship I wear my rings and bling but on shore its just my band. Even though I'm obviously a tourist no sense looking like a rich, stupid one.

I do the same. I take off the band, too, if I"m going to be doing something active that could cause it to get caught on something or if I'm going snorkelling, since my fingers always shrink a bit in the water.

And if I lose any of my jewelry (it's happened at home and on vacation), I am upset and/or annoyed, but everything is insured and can be replaced. The older I get the less sentimental I am about things, even symbolic or heirloom things.

There's no point in owning nice stuff and not wearing it, in my opinion. I don't dress for work any more, and we seldom go out at home, so if I don't wear it on vacation, I may as well sell it.

Totally agree with you I took mine off once after cutting my finger and left them in my jewellery box in a drawer came home from work one afternoon to find we had been robbed and all my jewellery stolen.Whilst no piece was worth millions in money they where in sentimental value to me as they where forty years of my life.Bottom line they now will never come off.