Trying to pack light

Cruzfan34

On our last cruise, I told my husband we HAD to stop bringing so much stuff with us. When we were packing to go home on our last night on the ship, our cabin was ridiculous...stuff scattered everywhere and I couldn't even think straight. Here are a few ideas that I have come up with...have any of you tried it and was it worth it....

Travel-size shampoo (or anything else that I can think of)....I would like to bring a couple of small bottles and use it up on the ship, throw out the empty bottle before we go home.

Makeup...I already bought a makeup palette with all of the eyeshadow colors that I will need for day and night. On our last cruise, I got frustrated digging through my makeup bag for individual colors. It was a mess and time-consuming and I couldn't find anything. I'm very happy now that I will have one small box that I can keep on the vanity. I'm still looking for a good-quality travel makeup brush set. Any suggestions?

Clothes...I'm looking for a reversible dress for onboard dinners that doesn't cost $$$. If I can bring one less dress, you better believe I will.

I've already gone on a cruise with 2 pairs of shoes...the pair I was wearing to get on the ship (Nike running shoes) and one pair of black heels. On our last cruise, I brought 6 pairs of shoes and I ended up wearing the same pair every night, except for formal night. I'm going back to two pairs on our next cruise (okay, maybe three).

I would GREATLY appreciate reading your advice on how to downsize. My husband and I usually bring two big suitcases, one carry-on and two garment bags for formal wear. The garment bags are a must, actually, so we can't downsize on that part. But I would love to be able to bring only one big suitcase instead of two. Can we do it?? :D

My middle name is Imelda so I can't give you any advice on the shoes. Personally, I could NEVER skimp on shoe packing. When we did 5-nt Grandeur, we packed in a carry-on. I still took several pairs of shoes. I stuffed all my sandals with rolled t-shirts or other small things.

I think the best place to save space is with dinner clothes. Pack 1 pair of pants or skirt, and then several tops to go with. Same for day time, 1 or 2 pairs of shorts with several tops.

Accessories can also change the look of an outfit - casual for day and dressy for night. The clothes I wear for the debarkation dinner tend to be more causal and will often be worn as a daytime outfit (capris and a strappy top).

On a current dress thread, someone posted a picture of a dress from White house black market that has convertible straps giving you several different looks with one outfit.

I am not a light packer, so can't help you there, but some of your descriptions ("stuff scattered everywhere," "a big mess") make me think your problem is organization, not the amount of stuff you bring. All of the stuff I pack (and there's a lot of it) is organized, so we don't have a big mess in the cabin.

Think packing cubes, makeup bags with sections rather than one big compartment, etc.

Thanks everyone. Hrhdhd, I'm actually quite organized but when it's time to re-pack everything to go home, I realized how much stuff we bring and it was a lot to put back into the suitcases. I know I made it sound like we are messy during the cruise, but that's really not the case lol. But when we are packing to go home, we take everything out of closets and drawers and I see how much stuff we have with us. I have a travel jewelry box. It's soft with compartments that zip and I love it. I found it at Bed Bath & Beyond before our last cruise in November. The makeup may be unorganized but that's because it's all in one bag and I bring too much...that's why I purchased the palette. :) No more bringing 10 different eyeshadows (literally). Anything liquid that could open and spill and ruin our clothes, we put in big Ziploc bags. It's fun to pack to GO on a cruise lol, but re-packing to go home is a pain and I would like to find ways to downsize to one suitcase. :p

Edited by Cruzfan34

Just packed for a 32 day cruise and land journey that will start in Washington DC (cold possible snow) and very possible will be at daughter's in VA for the birth of granddaughter (STILL waiting) for a week before leaving Feb. 6. We first fly to San Francisco overnight and then fly to Taipei Taiwan for 3 day stopover with full day tour of Taipei (temp. 70 degrees F.) then on to Bali and Yogyakarta for a week (temperature 90 with rainy season) before 16 day cruise on Azamara Quest. (Mostly hot weather/smart casual on board) and end in Osaka Japan (50's) and on to Tokyo (40's). So 32 days, all kinds of activities, most seasons covered and activities from snorkel trip to temples to big city dining. A packing night mare but I think I have it all in one 25 inch suitcase, a rolling tote carry-on and small purse. (Not counting wearing the heavy winter coat that must go for start and end of trip).

I have it done this way: 2 pair heavy pants (wear one and spare), 4 long sleeve T-shirt tops, 1 fleece (possible to wear on plane) 3 pair long but light weight pants, 2 capri and 1 shorts. 6 cotton blend T-shirts short sleeve, 2 blouses, 4 tanks to go under blouses and day or night, 6 tops for evening, one long black/silver skirt, one knee length black/white skirt and 1 black lace dress, 1 black decorative belt and 1 jeans belt, 1 swim suit, 1 rash guard, 1 snorkel mask, 1 binocular, 1 evening purse and 1 crossbody purse and 1 tote bag, 1 coverup for swimming (dress that is bathrobe/laundry room:D/beach and pool), sunhat, cold weather hat and gloves and 1 sandles, 1 dress shoe (also able to walk well in these -- bad feet so no heels), wear sneakers on plane, 1 swim shoes, 1 flip flops. Underwear (6 days worth), 2 nightgowns and 3 sets of jewelry.

Lotions and potions bottles are what puts my weight up!! I now split all my lotions into 2 or 3 bottles (mostly tiny pill bottles) and as one used up throw it out. Face cream, foot cream, and hair conditioner is done this way. 1 set in 3-1-1 bag the other in kit bag in suitcase. I do take one huge body lotion that I prefer. Travel size hair mousse and hair spray, deodorant etc. Sun screen full size and makeup kit as usual -- basic foundation/rouge/eyebrow pencil and gel eye shadow in small bag. We also carry a quart bag set that has tummy, skin, bandages, cold and laundry products (6 bags 3 and 3). Left to put in last minute is where I also start overpacking so let's hope I can hold to 37 pounds because lifting bags off baggage racks and beds and up 2/3 steps and over cobblestones -- that is all I can manage and I have a train trip on this journey too so mind the gap by myself!!

If you have questions, please ask. Every item in my suitcase has a reason and a purpose and must do several tasks. Every trip something has to change but basically I pack the same for 7 days as for 30 -- just plan to do laundry along the way. Good luck.

On our last cruise, I told my husband we HAD to stop bringing so much stuff with us. When we were packing to go home on our last night on the ship, our cabin was ridiculous...stuff scattered everywhere and I couldn't even think straight. Here are a few ideas that I have come up with...have any of you tried it and was it worth it....

Travel-size shampoo (or anything else that I can think of)....I would like to bring a couple of small bottles and use it up on the ship, throw out the empty bottle before we go home.

I use this, and take the empty bottle home with me to fill up again for the next trip. This is what I use at home and when traveling. Love the fragrance!

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21573926&cm_vc=200

Makeup...I already bought a makeup palette with all of the eyeshadow colors that I will need for day and night. On our last cruise, I got frustrated digging through my makeup bag for individual colors. It was a mess and time-consuming and I couldn't find anything. I'm very happy now that I will have one small box that I can keep on the vanity. I'm still looking for a good-quality travel makeup brush set. Any suggestions?

Clothes...I'm looking for a reversible dress for onboard dinners that doesn't cost $$$. If I can bring one less dress, you better believe I will.

I've already gone on a cruise with 2 pairs of shoes...the pair I was wearing to get on the ship (Nike running shoes) and one pair of black heels. On our last cruise, I brought 6 pairs of shoes and I ended up wearing the same pair every night, except for formal night. I'm going back to two pairs on our next cruise (okay, maybe three).

I take a pair of silver sandals for evening, and a pair of dark taupe. Silver looks good with black, and taupe covers everything else. I have Teva sandals for on board and in port (they adjust when my feet swell, too!), and travel athletic shoes (mine are white):

http://www.amazon.com/Propet-Womens-W3209YM-Travel-Walker/dp/B0040PZ5Q0/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1421945035&sr=1-8&keywords=travel+walker&pebp=1421945059853&peasin=B0040PZ5Q0

I would GREATLY appreciate reading your advice on how to downsize. My husband and I usually bring two big suitcases, one carry-on and two garment bags for formal wear. The garment bags are a must, actually, so we can't downsize on that part. But I would love to be able to bring only one big suitcase instead of two. Can we do it?? :D

Look into the lightest weight fabric you can find when packing tops and bottoms. I have a whole bunch of chiffon blouses and evening clothes. I just did a "dry run packing" in my new 21" Coleman rolling duffel bag, and I got literally half the clothes I'm taking on our next trip in it inside a large packing cube.

Don't use a make-up BAG...get a small, sterlite or plastic box...makes things MUCH easier to store and find!!! I use a small, 3 drawer sterlite container (wal-mart) for everyday! Keeps everything in it's place...andI wrap a large rubber band around the drawers when I take it traveling. No need to sort through makeup, or end up forgetting something...it's all there, just like at home! My brushes fit inside one drawer, along with my lipsticks...eyeshadow and blush up top, and "doodads" (eyelash curler, sharpeners, tweezers, scissors, etc...in the bottom drawer! So easy!

Edited by cb at sea

I would suggest canning the garment bags and go with a garment sleeve for your main luggage. That will force you to cut back on what you bring.

I use folders and cubes to pack. When I get to the cruise ship I hang my suite but put the folders and cube directly in a drawer or closet. As I use them I either hand wash items or have the ship launder my clothing and place and replace them in the folder or cubes. At the end of the cruise repacking is simple and I don't have a bunch of laundry to do when I get home.

Shak

Bowie MeMe,

Have you looked into one of those ultra light down jackets that compresses into a bag for your cold weather instead of wearing the coat on the plane? I got one for Alaska and I'll need it again in South America, but only a few days of the trip. It can be a lumbar or neck pillow on the plane. It's so light, only 9oz, I love it.

OP,

I did 10 nights in Europe last May in a 22" carryon. I don't know if I could do it for a cruise, but one checked bag per person should be totally doable. We usually have a 25" each. I take travel shampoos and conditioner and throw out as I use them. But after many trips, I realized I don't need nearly the amount of product that I think I do. I bought some of those small screwcap containers for moisturizer, hair product, foundation, etc.. and really never use them totally up. The hardest part for carry on is hair spray, mainly because my preferred brand doesn't come in a travel size and I have to make due with another brand. I will re-wear a pair of black pants or a skirt at dinner 2 or 3 times. I will hand wash some of my nicer items if I have to, but send the gym clothes to the laundry. I love packing cubes for organization. But I know things never re-pack as nicely as the first time!

Edited by sr4mjc

A while ago someone posted on these boards about polyvore.com and I love it for outfit planning any time, but particularly for cruising. It's a website that allows you to clip pictures of your clothing (if it's old and not currently shown on a website you'll probably just have to search for something similar which isn't usually very hard to find). You can then make collages of the clothing you'll bring, the various outfits, how well things will mix and match, etc. It's like a visual packing list in a way. I love it and it has helped me to cut down on the number of clothing items (and shoes) I bring since I can so easily see how things will work together/do double duty.

Can you elaborate on what you pack in your garment bag? If it's hubby's tux or suit and your formal dresses, you can pack them into large zip-lock bags (leaving some air in to help cushion them), and pack them into your suitcases. We always carry our formal duds that way and pack them in our carry-ons; that way we will never have to miss another formal night due to lost luggage.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I take 1 black tea length dress with short sleeves and then various jackets, sweaters, and jewelry, depending on what is needed for each formal/informal night. 1 pair black heels. 1 black pashmina. 1 black mini clutch. I've been known to pin a pin on the clutch or some bow clips on the shoes.

For day, cool destinations: 1 pr grey pants, 1 black v-neck cardigan as needed, and then a few washable no-iron brightly-colored oxford shirts (my favorite is Foxcroft). Throw in lots of different earrings and one or two silk scarves, 1 pr walking shoes.

If you are doing pictures, just take them from the waist up and it looks like a different outfit each day!

Excellent advice from everyone...thank you so much. I used to use those little travel bottles for shampoo that snap closed but I found they didn't close well and some of the shampoo spilled out. I may shop for better quality bottles. I never thought of buying the travel size and keeping the bottle for next time. :)

Yes, our garment bags are used for my husband's tuxedo, his tuxedo shirts, and two formal gowns, plus other dresses for dinner. I wear a dress every night because I find I look better in a dress rather than pants. I buy dresses that don't wrinkle but I'm always afraid to put them in the suitcase because, to me, even if they aren't supposed to wrinkle, if they are in a suitcase, they will...so I hang them in my garment bag.

Also thanks for the idea of the clear Lucite boxes for makeup instead of a makekup bag. All excellent ideas. I knew I could count on y'all. :D

Excellent advice from everyone...thank you so much. I used to use those little travel bottles for shampoo that snap closed but I found they didn't close well and some of the shampoo spilled out. I may shop for better quality bottles. I never thought of buying the travel size and keeping the bottle for next time. :)

Yes, our garment bags are used for my husband's tuxedo, his tuxedo shirts, and two formal gowns, plus other dresses for dinner. I wear a dress every night because I find I look better in a dress rather than pants. I buy dresses that don't wrinkle but I'm always afraid to put them in the suitcase because, to me, even if they aren't supposed to wrinkle, if they are in a suitcase, they will...so I hang them in my garment bag.

Also thanks for the idea of the clear Lucite boxes for makeup instead of a makekup bag. All excellent ideas. I knew I could count on y'all. :D

Put tape over the top of the travel bottles. Keeps it tightly closed during travel. Go ACROSS the top, not around it.

for any bottles I take that have a screw-off lid that has a snap-top on them (most lotion/shampoo bottles), I will put a piece of plastic wrap over the top, then screw on the lid. Take off the plastic wrap when I arrive. I travel with a larger (maybe 3x3") piece in my bag so I can re-do any that I lost.

SchoolNurseMom, we bring a mesh laundry bag with us and put our dirty clothes in it as we dirty them and we keep it under the bed. When we are ready to pack to go home, we just throw it in the suitcase. I still have to figure out how to bring LESS clothes lol. It's not easy because I always bring "just in case" clothing but I never use them. Plus my husband brings snorkeling equipment, which he loves to do, so he has to bring it. I'll just have to figure out what's important enough to bring and what I can leave at home.

OP I think you have been given some great advice here. I think learning to downsize is a process, and the more you travel the easier it becomes. I would suggest you analyze what you brought on your last cruise...........what clothes did you actually wear, what didn't you need. When I used to pack, I would throw in stuff "in case". The reality is you only need a small amount of clothing for any trip. Shoes only come with me if they go with every outfit. Same with tops & bottoms............everything must match in order to maximize different outfits. Changing accessories changes the look and doesn't take up much space. Plan your outfits around what you will be doing each day in advance, saves time and makes you more organized. When I shop now I only purchase items that are easily packable & versatile. Stick to one or two main color pallettes. Less luggage means taking up less space & more time to enjoy your trip.:)

I'm taking a transatlantic crossing this August, then spending 2 more weeks in Europe. I'm going to do my best to keep everything in ONE carryon: this one.

I bought 5 reversible silk sari wraparound skirts like these. I had two already, so now I have seven--that's two weeks' worth of skirts right there, and I'll be packing a handful of solid-color blouses and a few cardigans in there too.

The skirts, being so light, squash down and take up very little space. Also, the fact that they're wraparound/adjustable will make the post-cruise bloating a little more bearable!

I plan to bring three pairs of shoes: silver sandals, black sandals, and dress shoes. Probably a pair of flip-flops too.

I have a few more items of clothing I'd like to bring, but I made the rule for myself that NO separate can come along unless it goes with several other items in the suitcase. The evening dresses will be a challenge, but where there's a way...

I'm going to do my best to keep everything in ONE carryon: this one.

Haha, I'm loving that they list not only the models' height (so as to give some size reference/context) but that he's a Sagittarius and she's a Taurus. Too funny. That looks like a great bag, and so light!

I keep my cosmetics in (transparent) nice zippered bags at home, so it's easy to grab & pack: one bag for most of it, and a small bag for long thin cosmetics (pencils, concealer, mascara). Lipsticks are kept in another bag, and everything that I haven't opened yet or rarely use is in a gallon ziploc bag. I keep all of it in one drawer.

When it's time to pack, I put the small zippered bag in the big zippered bag, throw in 2 lipcolors, and I'm ready to go.