What type of luggage do you prefer?

kelseybren

I am torn with deciding what type of luggage I like better. Do you prefer Hard Shell or Soft sided and why? I had a large soft sided suitcase and then in November, purchased a hard shell set of a 28 inch and then a 20 inch carry on size. I feel silly, because I took it to Mexico when I went in early January and I'm not sure if I like it. I found the large suitcase, way too big, didn't mind the little carry on too much. I have a purple one that would probably be a 24 inch size and that is what I am using for my upcoming cruise, along with a small carry on. But I am thinking of getting something different, I'm just not sure what to get. I actually have my set I just purchased up on my local online auction and am getting some good bids on it. I also have very limited selection where I am, all we have is a Walmart. however, going to the city in a couple of weeks. but I think I'm just going to use what I have for now and research some more. But if you could give me some ideas of what you all use and why , I'd appreciate it, thanks!!

Kathy

I have hard sided luggage by Heys. I have 3 different sizes but tend to use the 26" size the most.

I prefer the hard sided because I find it better protects my belongings (we frequently fly home with bottles of alcohol and other liquids and have yet to have anything break). I also like that if it's raining or snowing, the stuff inside my suitcase doesn't get wet. As well, hard sided luggage doesn't rip.

For me, the only downside is there is no outside pockets.

I don't like hard sided luggage mainly because you need a large space to open it to pack/unpack. I live in a small house with no space for leaving a suitcase like that open for a few days (I pack/unpack slowly).

I have IT soft sided luggage. It only weighs 5 pounds empty (28" size). It has been on six flights and two cruises and is holding up great.

I'm a soft person. Never had a hard-sided, never saw the need for one. Take a look at the ebags site and their own branded TLS Mother Lode luggage. It's a favorite among the Frequent Flyer crowd who don't want to pay a ton of money for good quality. I've got 2 of the bags - the Weekender and Weekender Jr (convertible non-roller bags). They've taken a beating and keep on going. If I am ever in the need of a new 21" roller, I'll definitely get the roller in this line.

I have hard sided luggage by Heys.
We bought a hard sided by Heys that has an opening on top so you don't have to completely open the two sides which takes up a lot of space. This top opening is in addition to the total fold open of all other hard sided luggage.

There are advantages and disadvantage to both hard side and soft side luggage. I flew Air Canada last year when they were cracking down on carry on luggage and when I reviewed videos like below it was obvious to me that most of the problems people had with the sizers was their luggage was too fat.

After packing my 20 inch soft sided roller I discovered it was too fat too. With sizers liner inches don't matter now, your luggage has to be exactly within the range of the sizers. I discovered that my luggage with that handy outer pocket wasn't meant to put anything in it. If you do you will likely exceed the width limit and be like those in this video. Soft sided luggage also bulges if over packed causing problems with width too.

Hard side luggage on the other hand doesn't have outside pockets and if over packed doesn't bulge like soft sided luggage does. If you notice in the video the hard sided luggage slides right in the sizers.

While most airlines have sizers at airports they so far have not enforced that rule but if they do those of us with soft sided carry on may be paying more.

To check the size of your luggage place it on a hard flat surface like a table to take your measurements you may be surprised on its true dimensions.

Shak

http://globalnews.ca/news/1591393/air-canada-begins-crackdown-on-carry-on-baggage/

Oh I love luggage!! My favorite is Ebags. I have the rolling carry on. and the carry on that converts to a back pack. Love the packing cubes too.

I have all soft sided luggage. Easier to squish into small spaces if needed. If I have something that needs protecting I just put it in a Tupperware container that way if it gets squished the container will protect it and all is well.

I don't really care! Soft side is easier to handle, I think....as long as my stuff fits inside, I'm good to go!

The cheaper, the better, too (within reason!)....I think it's ridiculous to spend huge $$$$ on luggage! We've had our inexpensive stuff for about 12 years...still works just fine!

I prefer a lightweight rolling duffle, with a hard shell lower and a soft upper.

I like that the bottom compartment is perfect for good clothes on hangers (I buy baby hangers from the dollar store). The upper is perfect for my zippy bags.

We have really nice (and useless) atlantic hard cases from about 15 years ago. Paid a fortune for them, but they weigh too much and they use up our weight allowance. All four of us use rolling duffles. Bought ours from Costco.

There are advantages and disadvantage to both hard side and soft side luggage. I flew Air Canada last year when they were cracking down on carry on luggage and when I reviewed videos like below it was obvious to me that most of the problems people had with the sizers was their luggage was too fat.

After packing my 20 inch soft sided roller I discovered it was too fat too. With sizers liner inches don't matter now, your luggage has to be exactly within the range of the sizers. I discovered that my luggage with that handy outer pocket wasn't meant to put anything in it. If you do you will likely exceed the width limit and be like those in this video. Soft sided luggage also bulges if over packed causing problems with width too.

Hard side luggage on the other hand doesn't have outside pockets and if over packed doesn't bulge like soft sided luggage does. If you notice in the video the hard sided luggage slides right in the sizers.

While most airlines have sizers at airports they so far have not enforced that rule but if they do those of us with soft sided carry on may be paying more.

To check the size of your luggage place it on a hard flat surface like a table to take your measurements you may be surprised on its true dimensions.

Shak

http://globalnews.ca/news/1591393/air-canada-begins-crackdown-on-carry-on-baggage/

Easy way to fix the "soft sided" problem: don't overstuff them ;)

I have never had a problem having my soft side not fitting in the sizer. And, I don't use the expander zipper, either. My soft siders all have compression straps on them and I use them.

Never rely on the dimensions listed for a piece of luggage. Measure yourself! And, for length, go from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the handle. That's where many people go wrong - they just measure the container part of the suitcase...

Easy way to fix the "soft sided" problem: don't overstuff them ;)

I have never had a problem having my soft side not fitting in the sizer. And, I don't use the expander zipper, either. My soft siders all have compression straps on them and I use them.

Never rely on the dimensions listed for a piece of luggage. Measure yourself! And, for length, go from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the handle. That's where many people go wrong - they just measure the container part of the suitcase...

That's nice. My point was one should measure their bags after packing to see if they comply and in my view hard sided carry on luggage will compress better then soft side luggage does.

Shak

I am torn with deciding what type of luggage I like better. Do you prefer Hard Shell or Soft sided and why? I had a large soft sided suitcase and then in November, purchased a hard shell set of a 28 inch and then a 20 inch carry on size. I feel silly, because I took it to Mexico when I went in early January and I'm not sure if I like it. I found the large suitcase, way too big, didn't mind the little carry on too much. I have a purple one that would probably be a 24 inch size and that is what I am using for my upcoming cruise, along with a small carry on. But I am thinking of getting something different, I'm just not sure what to get. I actually have my set I just purchased up on my local online auction and am getting some good bids on it. I also have very limited selection where I am, all we have is a Walmart. however, going to the city in a couple of weeks. but I think I'm just going to use what I have for now and research some more. But if you could give me some ideas of what you all use and why , I'd appreciate it, thanks!!

Kathy

Next time you're in an airport, check out what most crew members are dragging behind them - Travelpro. I've used them for more than 20 years. Anything breaks- it gets fixed.

hard sided carry on luggage will compress better then soft side luggage does.

That makes no sense:confused: Hard sided should not compress AT ALL. Isn't that the point of hard sided luggage?

I have a luggage compulsion, my husband and I love to travel and if/when I own a good bag, I'll have it for years and years. And it will get worked HARD. So I am not buying $20 bags at Marshalls because they're cute. I tend to prefer soft, and usually at least one piece on wheels (depending on the trip). The reason I have so much luggage (or so I tell myself ;-) is so I can pick and choose what I need based on what kind of trip and esp what kind of transportation will be involved....

(I've been eyeing the ebags motherlode jr - but what I really want is a backpack that will fit under a seat and I'm not sure that would - Timbuk2 has one I like that has a TSA-approved laptop section that I like as well, that I think would be a much better fit under the seat....)

Re: Travelpro - the new consumer oriented products have a terrible warranty and will not last 20 years, as the old Crew versions did. I've been reading many a sad review on Flyertalk ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

That makes no sense:confused: Hard sided should not compress AT ALL. Isn't that the point of hard sided luggage?

I have a luggage compulsion, my husband and I love to travel and if/when I own a good bag, I'll have it for years and years. And it will get worked HARD. So I am not buying $20 bags at Marshalls because they're cute. I tend to prefer soft, and usually at least one piece on wheels (depending on the trip). The reason I have so much luggage (or so I tell myself ;-) is so I can pick and choose what I need based on what kind of trip and esp what kind of transportation will be involved....

(I've been eyeing the ebags motherlode jr - but what I really want is a backpack that will fit under a seat and I'm not sure that would - Timbuk2 has one I like that has a TSA-approved laptop section that I like as well, that I think would be a much better fit under the seat....)

Re: Travelpro - the new consumer oriented products have a terrible warranty and will not last 20 years, as the old Crew versions did. I've been reading many a sad review on Flyertalk ;-)

I am sorry but I disagree that hard sided luggage don't compress because the hard side doesn't flex like soft sided luggage does so it holds it form when zipped.

I have a soft side luggage too and my DW has a hard side. I believe in buy good quality bags too. Mine have a no question asked lifetime warranty.

Shak

I am sorry but I disagree that hard sided luggage don't compress because the hard side doesn't flex like soft sided luggage does so it holds it form when zipped.

I still don't think I'm fully understanding your language, but maybe you are saying that hard side will never be overstuffed because it maintains the same shape always?

(which is true. But at the same time - it won't ever be "under packed" either - which is an easy possibility with soft sides)

I still don't think I'm fully understanding your language, but maybe you are saying that hard side will never be overstuffed because it maintains the same shape always?

(which is true. But at the same time - it won't ever be "under packed" either - which is an easy possibility with soft sides)

Well you may have a point with my language. What I am trying to say and the videos show as well is that hard sided luggage maintain their shape. The people in the video with soft sided luggage have more problems then those with hard sided luggage. I am not sure about "never" but it will be hard to zip a hard sided luggage that is overstuffed since the hard shell doesn't flex like soft side luggage. Some think the hard side luggage being so ridge is a disadvantage but if more airlines start using sizers that tune may change.

I have a 20 inch carry on with a pocket in the lid. If I put a folder in my lid compartment my bag will measure over 10 inches even though I can easily zip the bag without expansion. Even at 10 inches my bag is within the 45 liner inches it may not fit in the sizer because it is too fat.

Again measure your luggage, soft or hard sided after you pack it to be sure it is within the limits of your carrier.

Shak

I don't think I'd use the Jr as an under the seat bag. The only difference in dimensions between it and the Motherlode is it's length - 19.5 vs 22. It is good as an "international" carryon, but I'd still put it up in the overhead.

I don't think I'd use the Jr as an under the seat bag. The only difference in dimensions between it and the Motherlode is it's length - 19.5 vs 22. It is good as an "international" carryon, but I'd still put it up in the overhead.

That's what I thought (though there are reviews stating it can be used underseat, I was concerned....) If I want the underseat, the Timbuk2 Uptown would probably be a better choice http://www.timbuk2.com/uptown-tsa-friendly-laptop-backpack-2014/347.html?dwvar_347_size=7&dwvar_347_color=2001#/dwvar_347-3-4060_size=7&dwvar_347-3-4060_color=2226 But even then, it looks big. So no new bag at the moment ;-)

(I have a Lands End convertible carry-on that is pretty much the same size - though not as nicely planned for storage - as the Motherlode - so I probably wouldn't buy it - I rarely use the LE as it is - It gets used when I need softside luggage only eg sailing trips, commuter flights in teeny planes, etc. For "regular" trips, I use my 20" rolling Eagle Creek as my carryon and then a tote or backpack for under seat....

Edited by Hoyaheel

If I want the underseat, the Timbuk2 Uptown would probably be a better choice http://www.timbuk2.com/uptown-tsa-friendly-laptop-backpack-2014/347.html?dwvar_347_size=7&dwvar_347_color=2001#/dwvar_347-3-4060_size=7&dwvar_347-3-4060_color=2226 But even then, it looks big. So no new bag at the moment ;-)

Sierra Trading Post had a 40% off sale last night. So I bought the cobalt Uptown TSA backpack for $45. We'll see if I like it and how/where it fits stuff:D I cannot resist bags.....And I love Timbuk2 - all their bags (mostly bought from STP) are in heavy rotation in my closet and hold up so well.

Sierra Trading Post had a 40% off sale last night. So I bought the cobalt Uptown TSA backpack for $45. We'll see if I like it and how/where it fits stuff:D I cannot resist bags.....And I love Timbuk2 - all their bags (mostly bought from STP) are in heavy rotation in my closet and hold up so well.

Last month I updated my luggage from Sierra. I bought the Eagle Creek 25in and a 22in Tarmac AWD to replace my aging EC Velocity set. This is my first spinner. They also had the EC Adventure Weekender bag but I don't see that or the Tarmac 25 or 22 anymore. I bought the Weekender a while ago but paid more then Sierra.

Shak

Yes, most of our current luggage has come from STP. In the past year, we've also added 22" Briggs & riley roller and a 22" Eagle Creek roller. (we don't like spinners) The carry-on I use most often is a 20" eagle creek (that isn't made any longer) that I bought a few years ago. Love it.