Age Appropriate Travel Clothing for 35 year old Traveling to Europe.

LMW1330

I am 35 year old (female) and will be touring the Western Mediterranean in May. (Spain, France, Italy) Also Greece and Turkey. I am in the middle of a clothes dilemma between wearing clothes that are too youthful and those that are too matronly. So, for those ladies out there in your 30's and early 40's, Where do you shop? and what types of clothes would you recommend for Europe in May? Thanks.

Edited by LMW1330

I curse "age appropriate." Whoever came up with this needs to be shot ;)

Wear what you are comfortable in. But, with the cities you will be in, be sure that you are not dressing for the Caribbean...

That said, look at Sahalie (the website/catalog). The models are in that age range and the clothes are great for traveling.

I don't believe in the "age appropriate"... it's what you are comfortable in and what looks good on your body... I'm past that age group and if it's cool in europe I wear jeans and tennis shoes .. I take a leather jacket for at nite in case it's really cool....I take a couple of sweaters or layer myself so as it gets warmer during the day I can shed a layer... if it's warm, capris are good.. most fashions in Europe are black and more black..my favorite shops are Macy's and Nordstroms Rack...you can find any "age appropriate" clothes at those stores.. I go by 'body appropriate"........

I'm not sure if your "too young/too old" issue is specific to travel in Europe or in general. It shouldn't be - dress for your style and the climate when you travel, no matter where you're going. Pay attention to any special needs (churches, mosques, cobblestones) but again - that's just good common travel sense.

Now, for the clothing, I have to say that I started having problems right around when I turned 40. I've always been a very preppy & somewhat conservative dresser. At 20, that's fine. At 40, it can start to look VERY aging. Which seems odd but there you have it. Or rather, that's what had been going on in my head. So as I approached 40 (I'll be 42 this year) I ended up losing quite a bit of weight and started reading a TON of style bloggers (esp those who were a little older) I don't want to look like a 20 yr old street style icon (if you do, more power to you! Go for it!)

So I agree that there isn't really "age appropriate" but more "you" appropriate. And sometimes, just looking around and seeing what other people are doing can be helpful. I've fallen in love with the perspective of some blogs even when the specific fashion style might not match my own. Reading & looking at the diversity out there has been SO helpful to me! So I hope I don't look like a prematurely dowdy 42 yr old but also not like I'm trying to fit in with the college students on the campus where I work:p

It feels good having others reinterate.what I have been doing all along. I typically just wear what I feel. I guess I just went into a state of shock when someone mentioned on a blog that Chico's and TravelSmith were for the Retirement crowd. I do love Sahalie, a recent discovery![emoji1] Appreciate the feedback and recommendations from everyone. I agree with OP despise "age appropriate"

Edited by LMW1330

I curse "age appropriate." Whoever came up with this needs to be shot ;)

I so agree! Same thing with hair - I always thought that I'd get a short haircut for good once I turned 50, but at 61 it's just below shoulder length and curlier than ever (unless I subdue it with the GHD).

35 is YOUNG! You don't want "booty shorts" or "crop tops", but anything else is fine! And, you don't need special "travel clothes" for a trip...bring what you wear at home!

You wouldn't want those at any age in Europe unless you're at a beach resort.

OP, whatever you choose in terms of what you think looks good on you, you will have a range of temperatures, so pick clothing that can be layered up and stripped down as the temperature dictates.

I have just booked my first cruise to Europe for next year and my plan is to pack capris and sundresses (maxi and midi) for ports and casual meals as well as a couple of pairs of shorts for pool/beach visits. I am in my early 40's and agree with those who say to dress body appropriate rather than "age" appropriate. No booty shorts or minis for me but I do wear most of my dresses just above the knee.

As I'm 5'3, I tend to shop at stores that carry petite lines so I lean toward Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, WH/BM and Gap. I find these stores have both classic and on trend items at different price points for both my casual and dressier needs. Most importantly though I find that clothes that fit properly will do more for your overall appearance and frumpiness level than where they actually come from.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

It feels good having others reinterate.what I have been doing all along. I typically just wear what I feel. I guess I just went into a state of shock when someone mentioned on a blog that Chico's and TravelSmith were for the Retirement crowd. I do love Sahalie, a recent discovery![emoji1] Appreciate the feedback and recommendations from everyone. I agree with OP despise "age appropriate"

I too think "age appropriate" is not a term that I give much credit to. I'm 68 and I wear whatever I feel like wearing whether it's a leather jacket with a white t-shirt and statement necklace with a pair of nice jeans and black booties or a maxi skirt with All Star sneakers and a nice cotton top...I'll wear whatever feels comfortable and what is appropriate for where I'm going to be.

Having said that, there are times when you need to wear things in respect of what venue you are going to visit. For example, in churches and mosques you'll want to dress more conservatively or at least carry a long enough scarf that you can cover bare arms and/or your head. Other than those kinds of restrictions wear what you feel comfortable in. I would also check and see what specific clothing you'll need to wear in Turkey. I've never been there but I know I've read something about their culture having very specific ideas about what a woman should and shouldn't wear.

By the way, I suggest Marshalls and TJ Maxx for affordability and a huge variety of clothing, shoes, jewelry, and all kinds of accessories...not to mention all kinds of travel-type products, like packing cubes, neck pillow, and all kinds of other kinds of travel stuff, including a huge variety of suitcases and travel totes.

Whatever you decide to wear...I hope you have an awesome trip! :)

Edited by mousey

I agree with most everyone else about "age appropriate".....I would

say I know I cannot wear something for a 20 year old that is made for

a size 2.:eek: Nothing against 20 year olds....I was just giving an example.

I was 20 once LOL.......

I would say wear your proper size......I am a 16 (sometimes a 14, sometimes an 18)....depending on the item.....I don't try to wear

an 8 because I would never fit into it.

I went to the Med back in May 2012:D (has it really been almost 3

years?):confused:....I wore cotton crop pants most days for touring with short

sleeved tops and I wore good walking shoes and socks. Evenings,

I wore the same clothing as I wear for any of my cruises.

As for hair and such...everyone has their own style.....some gals

look good in a longer length...I prefer keeping mine very short. It is

quite thick and I am very low maintenance....no blow dryer needed;)

LMW..Chico's carries way more than just their Travel line these days

and way more than retirees shop there:D....not sure what Blog you

were reading but that is so wrong....LOL.....I love Chico's jeans and

they have some beautiful watercolor print tops....I am 56 and a long

ways from retirement.

Edited by Lois R

Lois R. I agree. I love Chico's [emoji7]. I should not have let one person's opinion get me in such a dither. Don't really go for the Travelers Collection, but rather the Tunics and sweaters with cropped leggings. I also like their accessories.

I'm 60. My curly hair is now just getting past my shoulders after years of shortness. I LOVE it!! I'm also a jeans & Tshirt girl. I can go "sloppy" at home with it or classy when I go out - it all depends on the cut, wash, and style of the jeans & Tshirt. I can wear them with my black down jacket (a staple when I live), my jeans jacket or my black leather jacket that I bought in Florence (at the Leather School). And, I've been known to also rock the long skirt (my favorite Prana that never goes out of style) with my engineer boots OR my Supergas or All Stars…. Sometimes you just gotta have fun :D

My mom is 76, rocks jeggings, and wears her (gray) hair down to mid-back.

I am 56, plus size, and have my hair cut at the barber shop (clippers, no scissors necessary)!

Last summer I fell in love with a Miche purse, the blood-orange "Mimi", and before I knew it, entirely changed the colors I wear. From my khaki and olive to reds and teal -- with some other brights thrown in. I had been wearing "camo colors" since my mid thirties! I guess this qualifies for a mid-life crisis!

Sometimes, one does need somewhat different clothes for a cruise -- doing a transAtlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam, which has no self-laundry. Since my color wake up, I've been buying mostly Woman Within tops and pants -- hugely cotton! which at home I wash warm and drip dry... they'll take a long time to dry if handwashed, and most if not all WILL shrink if given to the ship to launder. So I'm in the market for some quick-dry synthetics that fit my body and style... and wallet!

For the OP -- have a look at Coldwater Creek. Maybe your style? Of course if Chico's and Travelsmith are for old fogeys, the same is probably true of Coldwater Creek... if so, the idea of dowdy has evolved!

Chico's is NOT for Old Fogeys:eek::eek::eek:.....Not in my opinion, I love ALOT

of their clothing. I am also 56 and don't consider myself an old fogey.

And Coldwater Creek is no longer in business....well, they maybe on line,

but the stores all went under.

Chico's is NOT for Old Fogeys:eek::eek::eek:.....Not in my opinion, I love ALOT

of their clothing. I am also 56 and don't consider myself an old fogey.

And Coldwater Creek is no longer in business....well, they maybe on line,

but the stores all went under.

Ditto (and thank you from this old fogey) ;)

Sometimes, one does need somewhat different clothes for a cruise -- doing a transAtlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam, which has no self-laundry. Since my color wake up, I've been buying mostly Woman Within tops and pants -- hugely cotton! which at home I wash warm and drip dry... they'll take a long time to dry if handwashed, and most if not all WILL shrink if given to the ship to launder. So I'm in the market for some quick-dry synthetics that fit my body and style... and wallet!

Can one specify to have their clothing washed in cold water and dried on low when using the laundry package on the NA? I just bought a travel wardrobe of various pieces, some cotton, some synthetic, and I am not sure how things would fare in hot water.

You can specify but it will not happen. Your clothes are washed in giant machines along with dozens of others.In HOT water to kill germs etc. Once had a new pair of RL white linen sailor pants shrunk 2 size. Sad, but lesson learned Talked to CC host who told me never send anything good to laundry.

Like many here, I think "age appropriate" is whatever fits your sense of style & fits your body type...

That said, 35 is young, like, really young :) Especially to this 48 year old, :)

Find clothes that are easy to pack, stick to one color palette, & bring light layers & a light rain jacket, & enjoy your youth. :)

You can specify but it will not happen. Your clothes are washed in giant machines along with dozens of others.In HOT water to kill germs etc. Once had a new pair of RL white linen sailor pants shrunk 2 size. Sad, but lesson learned Talked to CC host who told me never send anything good to laundry.

Uh oh! Looks like I will be doing hand washing for most of my wardrobe.

I am 35 year old (female) and will be touring the Western Mediterranean in May. (Spain, France, Italy) Also Greece and Turkey. I am in the middle of a clothes dilemma between wearing clothes that are too youthful and those that are too matronly. So, for those ladies out there in your 30's and early 40's, Where do you shop? and what types of clothes would you recommend for Europe in May? Thanks.

Oh Goodness !!! I have the same issues I will be 32 in May. We are going the same places, and feel at a lost...