How many times do you change per day?

LoriLoriLori

When you're on a cruise do you reserve two outfits for every day? One for excursions/day time/pool time and one for evening? Or, do you sometimes wear the same thing all day? Of course there is the formal night(s) where a person will change, but how about on the other days? What do you do?

I'm trying to pack light for a 4 night cruise. My cruise isn't until late summer but I've been thinking about how to minimize what I bring. I'm going on a couple weekend trip on land this Spring and Summer as well and trying to prevent overpacking.

Thanks.

When you're on a cruise do you reserve two outfits for every day? One for excursions/day time/pool time and one for evening? Or, do you sometimes wear the same thing all day? Of course there is the formal night(s) where a person will change, but how about on the other days? What do you do?

I'm trying to pack light for a 4 night cruise. My cruise isn't until late summer but I've been thinking about how to minimize what I bring. I'm going on a couple weekend trip on land this Spring and Summer as well and trying to prevent overpacking.

Thanks.

Yes, I wear two outfits every day. My evening clothes are dressier than what I wear during the day.

I lighten my luggage by taking very lightweight tops with me, mostly georgette or chiffon fabrics. There are many, many styles in this type of fabric available. I take a black and a white cami for underneath, and also wear the camisoles at night under my dinner outfits, if needed.

Thanks.

I usually dress for dinner, but they don't have to be completely different outfits for each evening. Usually a long skirt and a pair of dress pants, and 2 or 3 dressy tops (which are incredibly small when rolled) will do me for a week or 10-day cruise. For your 4-nighter, 1 or 2 evening outfits will be fine.

I throw a pair of shorts on for breakfast....I can wear them several days, since I'm only in them about 1 hour...then it's in a bathing suit until time for dinner! I have a different outfit for each night...I do NOT change after dinner.....

Next day, repeat!!!

For me, it depends on the itinerary, and the weather/time of the year:

For a 10 -14 day European cruise, I may change several times a day: Casual comfy for breakfast, smart comfy for excursions, casual comfy back on ship, and then smart for dinner.

No, I don't need several suitcases, I have a "capsule wardrobe" that gives me many outfit options. It takes some planning, but well worth the effort, and minimizes the "what will I wear" stress.

Edited by lara h
sp

I enjoyed reading these responses. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I thought I would change for dinner each evening but wanted to get an idea of what others did. I plan on bringing one dressy outfit for formal night and dressing somewhat snazzy for the other evenings.

A 4 night cruise?....I would probably wear the same black slacks for

at least 2 nights...the other 2 nights? Maybe a skirt and dress or a 3rd

pair of pants and skirt/dress. If I am in a bathing suit/cover up all day?

Or in shorts/t's, I will always be in a different outfit for dinner.

I always change at least once a day. More, if I wear a bathing suit for awhile. I'd never wear the same outfit all day long and then in the evening, too, not even on embarkation day.

I do the same thing. Most of my cruises have been to tropical climates, so what I wear during the day usually CANNOT be worn again. I also wear different clothes for a an excursion or sight-seeing as opposed to dinner.

I usually wear different outfits on embarkation day, especially if cruising in cooler weather - can't wear the same clothes on the cruise later, when it's hot!

I'm taking the train to travel to port for my next cruise, so I won't have to be as careful as I would if I were flying. I have a tendency to over-pack. I'm working on that :D

For me, it depends on the itinerary, and the weather/time of the year:

For a 10 -14 day European cruise, I may change several times a day: Casual comfy for breakfast, smart comfy for excursions, casual comfy back on ship, and then smart for dinner.

No, I don't need several suitcases, I have a "capsule wardrobe" that gives me many outfit options. It takes some planning, but well worth the effort, and minimizes the "what will I wear" stress.

The capsule wardrobes are amazing! There are lots of good examples on Pinterest. My only problem is, I usually don't have 75% - 90% of the cute stuff in the examples :p:p

If I was doing a 10-14 day cruise, which I haven't yet, I think I would re-wear a few of the tops to dinner. I can't see myself bringing 28 shirts for a 14 day cruise! (Who knows, maybe I would!)

The things I re-wear are: sea day outfits like my sun dress type coverups, this will get worn to breakfast, lunch etc. on multiple sea days. I will re-wear my shorts or capris that were worn on a Sea Day, but not excursions in tropical climates! I also will re-wear my black dress pants for 2 evening meals usually. I've also been known to wear the maxi dress that I wore for one evening meal earlier in the week again for a breakfast or something else.

On port days I rarely change for dinner, except for shoes maybe, if I was wearing my ecoo's I'd put on my boots or sandals

The last 4 cruises we've done have all been cool/cold weather cruises, so getting sweaty during the day hasn't been a factor. So shower, wash hair & dress in the morning, & I'm good till I shower before bedtime & a sleep tee.

On sea days I wear a swim suit with a cover up dress during the day, & then shower & change for dinner.

Next cruise will be a warmer weather Southern France & Italy cruise, so I'm bringing a different wardrobe, I'll be wearing linen tee shirts & shorts & skirts during the day, & will probably throw in a few lightweight dresses to change into for dinner, if I get sweaty during the day & have to shower before dinner.

I've already bought a few things & put them away... can you tell I like to plan ahead? :) After the cruise they will be my summer wardrobe.

We book AQ class & eat in Blu, so we don't do formal nights.

Edited by cruise kitty

Hi

I bring a minimum of 3 outfits per day.

I go to the gym in the morning so have a gym outfit, then shower and change into whatever I'm wearing for the day whether it's in a port or on the ship, then shower and change again into dinner clothes.

On top of that maybe a bathing suit/cover up if we're stopping at a beach or going to the pool for each day.

And then a pair of pajamas and/or nightie for each night.

Then I always bring a few extra outfits just in case. You need to have options right?

And let's not even start talking about shoes...I brought 23 pairs on a 12 night Caribbean cruise a few years ago and wore all but 1 of them (because I got sunburned and couldn't wear the outfit that would have went with that pair of shoes).

Noreen

It depends on the day...

Port days generally have fewer changes. I need to dress for my day's activity from the get go...and generally, I will want to change for dinner. Occasionally, the port day has been such that we don't feel like doing the whole sit down, be waited on and interrupted with service dinner and just prefer to keep our own company and eat at the buffet. So maybe...no change?

Sea days however...I might put on my trusty morning outfit. (Yes, it's shocking, but for each sea day, I might just put on the same bottoms and tops every morning!) Leisure breakfast, coffee, consult with my family (my usual travel companions) regarding the day's events and what we feel like doing. What we feel like doing may involve many changes of clothing...exercise clothes, swimming clothes, normal day clothes...and then the evening clothing for dinner.

My thing is that I usually mentally segregate my wardrobe into the things that I will wear to dinner (dresses, mix and match), the things I would wear for "normal day clothes" (sundresses, mix and match), my morning outfit, and specialty clothing (exercise, excursion dependent, poolside, etc.).

I am a laundry-phobe and so I generally rewear until the clothing can walk by itself. I have my methods for "freshening" my clothing and don't wear stinky clothes...but I am not shy nor reserved about multiple uses of clothing in-between washing. Washing is the hardest thing to do to your clothes and generally wears them out more than normal wearing (adults not children), so I've perfected my own non-washing techniques to increase the time between required washings...including clothes brushing, spot treatment, simple "airing out", and honestly, personal hygiene/maintenance. I find it is usually more important to maintain personal hygiene for my clothes to last longer between washings.

That said...I usually find the greatest challenge to be, not clothing, but all the other stuff for personal hygiene. I'm kind of picky about product...

I throw a pair of shorts on for breakfast....I can wear them several days, since I'm only in them about 1 hour...then it's in a bathing suit until time for dinner! I have a different outfit for each night...I do NOT change after dinner.....

Next day, repeat!!!

I do the same. CB.

• 4 weeks later...

I change 2-3 times per day but many items may be worn more than once during the cruise. I've only cruised to the Caribbean. I usually have a day clothes (shorts, shirt or casual dress), then change for dinner, and then often change to jeans or something for hanging out at karaoke or seeing a band or something. It's chilly in the evening inside with the AC. Wearing items like formal wear or jeans (that I don't get sweaty in) more than once makes this possible without bringing a ton of stuff.

I enjoyed reading these responses. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I thought I would change for dinner each evening but wanted to get an idea of what others did. I plan on bringing one dressy outfit for formal night and dressing somewhat snazzy for the other evenings.

You might want to double check, most four night cruises don't have a formal night. They tend to be more casual all the way around, and might have a dressy optional night which still isn't "formal."