Mediterranean Fashionista

Yunric

I read so much on these boards and I follow a few of the 'fashionista'

Threads. I find many of the topics and threads are related to Caribbean cruises, so I was curious to hear about what everyone wears for the tours and sightseeing done in places like Italy and Greece. I hate looking like a 'tourist', but of course have to be comfortable.

I also find med cruises dressier than Caribbean ones- any tips and tricks on looking awesome for 2 weeks while only being able to pack a 26" suitcase?

Our next cruise is May 18, 2015 on Celebrity Reflection.

Edited by Yunric

Google "capsule wardrobe" and you'll see how effective a bit of pre planning can be in selecting your options.

I found this was a great place to start and then modify to your own taste. Of course, what you choose will depend on your age and fashion preferences.

http://chicmummy.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/blue-and-green-sahm-capsule-wardrobe.html

Dressing for a trek to Pompei out of Naples is different than dressing for going into Rome or Florence to me. I'm visiting a major metropolitan city, not an archeological dig or a Caribbean port. I never wear tennis shoes or strappy sandals. A pair of nice flats with good arch support and good soles are a must. I never wear shorts, capris or sundresses. Long pants or the occasional skirt paired with short sleeved or long sleeved shirts are it. I'll take a jacket appropriate for the time of year. I have a Little Black Travel Tshirt Dress that has served me well for many a night on the town all over Europe. I don't use a daypack or a PacSafe kind of bag, but a nice cross-body bag that has zippers.

I save the truly casual clothes for the beach or someplace like Pompei or if I were visiting the archeological areas in Greece.

Yes, you may consider me a "tourist", but I can do what I can to not stick out like an easy naive "toorist" target.

NOTE: OK, I will occasionally wear a pair of Supergas, but so do many others in Italy. Just not white ones ;)

Google "capsule wardrobe" and you'll see how effective a bit of pre planning can be in selecting your options.

I found this was a great place to start and then modify to your own taste. Of course, what you choose will depend on your age and fashion preferences.

http://chicmummy.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/blue-and-green-sahm-capsule-wardrobe.html

Good blog!

Also check out

ladylighttravel.com for packing ideas and

The Vivienne Files for color palettes.

Edited by SadieN

I read so much on these boards and I follow a few of the 'fashionista'

Threads. I find many of the topics and threads are related to Caribbean cruises, so I was curious to hear about what everyone wears for the tours and sightseeing done in places like Italy and Greece. I hate looking like a 'tourist', but of course have to be comfortable.

I also find med cruises dressier than Caribbean ones- any tips and tricks on looking awesome for 2 weeks while only being able to pack a 26" suitcase?

Our next cruise is May 18, 2015 on Celebrity Reflection.

Hi Yunric,

I live in the Eastern Mediterranean and I can assure you it will be hot in May so dress accordingly. In the Middle of May the temperature rise so you need to dress comfortable.

Most tourists, and yes, they are tourists or visitors if you prefer, all dress casual. This is for ease and comfort. Most wear shorts, cropped trousers in nice colours. T shirts are very popular. Some people may have linen trousers but they crease like mad in the heat.

You may want to wear a long sleeved shirt over a T. shirt top to cover your arms This can be removed it you get too hot. A silk scare is good if you are visiting churches and often no shorts are allowed. A sun hat is a must plus sun glasses.

Shoes many people wear FIT FLOPS and I mean the special soled ones that work out your butt! :) They are very popular and come with bling on them. For sightseeing where rough walking is involved. A pair of walking shoes is a must or trainers as often places have very uneven surfaces in the Med.

Heels are out and I am an avid shoe person but never wear heels in summer here. Far too hot and not practical even low ones.

Many tourist in the Med are British and dress in a very casual manner. The Germans and Italians dress much smarter and often looked overdressed but always smart.

You have to find a dress code that suits you but remember it will be hot so do not go for heavy fabrics. Light layers are a must. A light top a pashmina is useful and a light jacket or cardigan may come in. Sundresses, skirts tops etc. However from experience I never wear a skirt as it make you too hot around the middle. Dresses are cooler. A light rain coat / jacket could be useful for out on deck in case of showers. Have a great cruise.

Maggieshoemou

Hi,:) we are all different...what works for some of us may not work for

others.

I went to the Med in May 2012 (I cannot believe it has been almost

3 years:eek:)......it was the best cruise I have ever taken:D

I did wear cotton capri's, short sleeved tops and walking shoes with

socks. If that outfit made me look like a tourist? Oh well.....I was one.

It was not the middle of summer but it was warm out!

These photos are some of my daytime outfits......

In this picture...I am in the tye dyed blue top and blue capri's with

the hat and blue cross body bag.

7278579850_a4d85dfe91_b.jpg

This picture was in Athens....that handsome man was out tourguide:)

You can see the top I am wearing....the bottoms were lightweight

cotton capri's...sort of cargo style....with the same shoes/socks as

in the first photo....(well, a clean pair of socks each day;)).

7278673992_05ea42ce7d_b.jpg

As I mentioned in my first post.....my outfits may not work for other

people but they worked great for me.

The picture in Athens? The bottoms (you can't seen them in that photo)

but they were the same as the ones in Santorini but in a khaki color.

I see you are going on Reflection? Are you doing the 10 or 11 nighter?

I went on Equinox for 10 nights and am hoping I can figure out a way

to finally go back in 2016. Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

I think that all of us look like tourists no matter what we do so just go with what is comfortable and has multiple uses.

I pack the same type of clothing that Lois has posted pictures of and never feel out of place. It will be warm in the Med in May so plan accordingly. My October 2014 cruise was cooler and very different temperature wise....

Lois, I hope you make it back in 2016! I'm sailing Celebrity after 2 on RCI and can't wait :)

I think that all of us look like tourists no matter what we do so just go with what is comfortable and has multiple uses.

I pack the same type of clothing that Lois has posted pictures of and never feel out of place. It will be warm in the Med in May so plan accordingly. My October 2014 cruise was cooler and very different temperature wise....

Lois, I hope you make it back in 2016! I'm sailing Celebrity after 2 on RCI and can't wait :)

Hi Linda:).....you are on the same sailing as Cruise Kitty?.....THAT is

the one I want to do!.....

My favorite site for fashion inspiration is:

http://chicisimo.com/

The site has undergone some changes in the way that you can search and sort. It used to be that you could sort by location. Many (if not most) of the posters on this site are not in the US. You CAN search by country but this isn't necessarily reliable to know that the person is FROM that country...I did a Paris search and there was a shirt with Paris on it that was popular by some designer and thus, so many results that weren't exactly what I was looking for...

Anyway...very fun to look at for inspiration though.

Some people should never wear capris - I'm one of them. Maybe I'm truly one-of-a-kind, but I have no trouble wearing long pants in any weather. I've even worn them in Egypt when it was 109 degrees in the Valley of the Kings. I hunt for my travel wear from companies who manufacture clothing for travel and outdoor use. Ex-Officio, the North Face, Prana, Athleta, Sahalie, REI house brand, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia - lots of options for nice clothes that wear lightly and wash easily and NOT look like a stereotypical American or British tourist. And, the clothes transfer easily to my everyday wear at home. I also pick from some designers for my nighttime wear who manufacture clothing that is chic, yet still very packable, like Eileen Fisher. My favorite travel shoes come from Jambu lately - and the flats they have are approved for wearing with my work uniform…

I'm loving reading all of the responses! Thanks everyone.

We did a 13 night Med last year and most of what I took was 'chic comfort'... LOL

I have some black yoga capri pants with a slight flare in a beautiful fabric that I took last year. Because of the fabric, they don't look like yoga pants, and I wore them with sheer tshirts with a tank underneath. Most days I wore Fit Flops, (which I LOVE) and on some days, (Athens- climbing the Acropolis) I wore a pair of cute Skechers. The Skechers are also my airport/flight shoes.

Here in Canada we have a brand called Kenzie, that has super cute tshirt dresses that I think would be appropriate for most walking around, and I'd toss on a cute scarf. I'll find a pic and post.

I am going to adopt some of the 'capsule' ideas and try to stick a to a colour scheme.

Most of my Fit flops have bling which makes them look a little less casual- i just wish they weren't so expensive here. They average $120, while in the US I've purchased for under $50.

One thing I need to remember to take is a visor as well as a hat. Sometimes the hat was too hot and I ended up spending way too much on a visor in Santorini because the sun was too much.

As I mentioned in my first post.....my outfits may not work for other

people but they worked great for me.

The picture in Athens? The bottoms (you can't seen them in that photo)

but they were the same as the ones in Santorini but in a khaki color.

I see you are going on Reflection? Are you doing the 10 or 11 nighter?

I went on Equinox for 10 nights and am hoping I can figure out a way

to finally go back in 2016. Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

We are doing the 11 night! So excited. :) We are doing 3 nights in Rome pre cruise, then 2 nights in Sardinia after the cruise.

Edited by Yunric

Hey Vicky!!

I got it at winners, which is like marshalls. Its a fossil and kind of perfect size for tripping around. I'll email you a picture of it next week. My fit flops are also bronze so I am coordinated. :)

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

Hi, Just saw a question regarding cross over body bag.

I recommend you buy a PAC SAFE security bag. The are very light weight come in different sizes are slash proof so no one can cut the strap from behind. The have special secure locking and you can secure it to a chair or table when dining. Not expensive. Buy then on line on Amazon. The same Amazon where they sell books including one I wrote. ;)

Pac safe anti theft travel bags,

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe/b?ie=UTF8&node=2530085011

Regards Maggie Thorpe

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, of course you have to be comfortable or you're not going to enjoy your time. I also have the same concerns about looking like an obvious tourist. When in Italy, I tend to go for all black.

We are on the Reflection for the re-positioning cruise in April. I've just about figured out my packing as we are gone for 23 days... I think my lifesaves will be the two peplum tops I bought- one black, one cream. They mix and match well with any bottom I have. Here's my inspiration photo (only with flats of course!).

Best of luck and have fun!

Katy

black.jpg.a004cf0ead6cb74cca23198247e617e7.jpg

This thread is very insightful!! I'm going on a East. Mediterranean cruise in May (Italy/Croatia/Turkey/Greece).

I honestly rarely dress casual. I don't even own a pair of regular shorts (gym shorts yeah). I have t-shirts but I only wear them to work out. I don't own flip flops.

I also studied in spain when I was in college and know that people in Europe tend to dress less casually in general compared to americans.

My concern is the opposite. I think I may be overdressed and stickout from other people on tour excursions. Every picture I've seen, people are dressed super casual like they are going to the beach. That's not my personal style so I'm having a bit of dilemma about my wardrobe on the trip. It is interesting to see other people's perspectives.