Lining your suitcases with plastic?

geocruiser

Does any one else line their suitcases with plastic? I line the inside of mine with large plastic garbage bags. One on the bottom and one on top, then tuck it down the sides. I started doing this after I saw luggage being loaded onto a ship with liquid dripping out of one of the bags. Maybe , water, soda or booze. So, that is when I decided to line my bags. My luggage seem water proof, but the lining has a zipper in it and I was afraid that a liquid could drip in.

PS

Then I used the bags for dirty clothes.

Edited by geocruiser

Well after our Sydney to LA cruise when the luggage was left out in the rain we now always put plastic around everything.

The sad thing was my husband went down to the purser deck to tell them all the luggage was out in the rain and it was raining hard they told him there was nothing they could do about it.

One piece of his luggage arrived with everything all wet. Princess was very good at taking everything to have it cleaned.

I was so glad it was his and not mine I would have been very upset.

I always pack my clothes in the 2 1/2 gallon plastic storage bags. I can fit quite a few garments in each one. I prefer that method so the TSA aren't handling my clothes. Hopefully, that keeps my belongings fairly dry in the event of rain. Since I have soft-sided luggage, I also have sprayed it with fabric protector (like they use on furniture) to help protect the contents of my suitcase.

I always line them with extra large trash bags, then I can use them to put our dirty clothes in. Then when we are getting our suitcases ready the last night of the cruise. All the dirty clothes go in one suitcase and anything that has not been worn is in another suitcase. Makes it easy when I get home to take them straight to the laundry room. But I would never pack any kind of liquids in with my clothes. All liquids go in a different suitcase.

I always lay a few dry cleaner bags on bottom and up the sides of a suitcase before I start packing. When I am finished, I lay more bags across the top and down the sides. It protects the contents if the suitcase is left sitting on a dock or runway in the rain. So easy to do and there have been times I was very happy I took the minute to protect the contents. :)

I use a cheapie shower curtain to line the suitcase and wrap over the last clothes layer. We have soft sided super light zipped cases, but as we are going to Rio in March, so there might be some heavy rain around, so better safe than sorry.

We don't line the suitcase, we open up a 33g (clear) trash bag in the suitcase and pack into that. When full we tie it closed. Not as good as Ziplocks or compression bags but does help when DD has to walk in the pouring rain between the bus station and her apartment.

Well after our Sydney to LA cruise when the luggage was left out in the rain we now always put plastic around everything.

The sad thing was my husband went down to the purser deck to tell them all the luggage was out in the rain and it was raining hard they told him there was nothing they could do about it.

One piece of his luggage arrived with everything all wet. Princess was very good at taking everything to have it cleaned.

I was so glad it was his and not mine I would have been very upset.

WOW! That is what I was afraid of happening. We do most of our cruises from Florida. At time there can be heavy rain here, and that is one of the reasons I started to put the plastic in the cases.

Every one has had great suggestions on packing with different type of plastics. The ziplock bags are a great idea. I also like putting your clothes in a large trash bag and the you belongings are all covered with plastic.

Using a cheapie shower curtain is another great idea.

Edited by geocruiser

I just came back to say what @MrsPete already said! I haven't done it, but am this time -- using the ziplocs that is. I have quart, gallon, 2-gal and I'm going to get the new "Big Bags" 3-gallon. They go up to 5-gal, but that size is too big for a carryon by my measurements. Bigger than that and Ziploc now has Space Bags! The kind you squeeze the air out of, I believe.

Somethings, like shoes, will not be in zippy-bag, but maybe wrapped in grocery-store bags or other plastic.

I just came back to say what @MrsPete already said! I haven't done it, but am this time -- using the ziplocs that is. I have quart, gallon, 2-gal and I'm going to get the new "Big Bags" 3-gallon. They go up to 5-gal, but that size is too big for a carryon by my measurements. Bigger than that and Ziploc now has Space Bags! The kind you squeeze the air out of, I believe.

Somethings, like shoes, will not be in zippy-bag, but maybe wrapped in grocery-store bags or other plastic.

Like you, I wrap all my shoes. I used grocery bags. I don't like any part of the shoe (like the soles of the shoes) to touch my clothes or the inside of the suite cases.

I think it's a great idea! I travel a lot and once when I retrieved my bag (soft-sided) from the conveyor belt it was all wet on the bottom. I don't know what the cause of it was because it wasn't raining when we got on or off the plane. Thank goodness only the bottom layer of clothing was affected and it was only damp and not really wet. I also use plastic Ziploc baggies for my shoes but I use fabric packing cubes for my clothing so I will also use plastic garbage bags in my suitcase on my next cruise or trip of any kind. It just makes sense to me. Thanks to the OP for the tip!:D

Edited by mousey

Like you, I wrap all my shoes. I used grocery bags. I don't like any part of the shoe (like the soles of the shoes) to touch my clothes or the inside of the suite cases.

On wet days my newspapers come rolled up into a slim plastic bag. I save these as they are great for packing my shoes into my suitcase.:)

On wet days my newspapers come rolled up into a slim plastic bag. I save these as they are great for packing my shoes into my suitcase.:)

Great idea . I get the same bags with my paper too.

I put one shoe in each grocery bag now. I find that I can stuff them easier in the suit case.

I will start to save some of the news paper bags now for my shoes.

Edited by geocruiser

Could also use produce bags.

We won't be getting too many newspaper bags. We've had 4 days of rain in the past 6 months.

I always put my shoes in those. They're just the right size.

I also use them when I clean out the litter box. ;)