First Coldwater Creek, Now Chico's

Lois R

Well, they are not filing Bankruptcy but they are closing ALOT of

stores:(...120 of them.........check this out.......

http://www.news-press.com/story/money/companies/2015/02/25/report-firm-backs-out-of-chicos-buyout-attempt/23990775/

I am going to the one near me this weekend.....hope they are not

one of the stores closing.........

I can never find anything in either store that fits right....

Well I guess it won't affect you then:rolleyes::eek:......some of us love their

clothing and so it will affect us.

I wonder if the stores closing will only be Chico's stores or also include closings of their other brands?

I don't know......you are referring to SOMA's and B&W Market, right?

I live within walking distance of all 3 (on a nice day;))......I may

drive over after work today and speak with the gals at Chico's......I have

shopped there so often I know them and they know me (by name).

It look like ALOT of gals will be losing their jobs:(

I don't know......you are referring to SOMA's and B&W Market, right?

I live within walking distance of all 3 (on a nice day;))......I may

drive over after work today and speak with the gals at Chico's......I have

shopped there so often I know them and they know me (by name).

It look like ALOT of gals will be losing their jobs:(

Yes. That article refers to the overall corporate closing stores, so I was just wondering...what will be closed? What might be consolidated? I wonder if you would ever walk into a store that would be Chico's in one part and B&W in another? Or some combo with Soma?

A friend of mine used to work at Coldwater Creek. We were getting the play by play on the current store inventory and what all corporate was saying to the stores, etc., and how the inventory was coming in, etc. I don't know anyone personally that works at any of these brand stores.

I think retail is rough. Most people are sale hungry...and willing to wait for the sales for the items they want. They find codes and gets the discounts and I often wonder how the brands can survive with the current mentality of buyers. If you don't have a "necessary" or very specialty product...then there is nothing motivating customers to pay full price or normal retail.

I'll never forget being a college student shopping in Old Navy. They had a huge clearance section with great mark downs...you always felt like you were getting such a deal. I finally saw some fine print that conveyed the message that the for clearance items may never have been offered for sale at any original price...that the extra price reduced tags may be the original offering of the product. This totally turned me off...and it makes me skeptical of sales...even as I look for sales and reduced prices.

Now, I look for things that I need and want and determine what I'm willing to pay...and if I can find that price...then I am happy. I no longer judge based on what a good deal I got...the normal pricing of Chicos, et al, is higher than what I am willing to pay for what they usually offer. I think many feel the same way...and if Chicos really needs that retail price to turn a profit...well, from what I know from other ladies' shopping habits...they need to reduce overhead to have a hope of making money.

It's always sad to think about people losing their jobs...hopefully, they can find employment with another brand. It feels like there is a plethora of shops in the world...Athleta is opening up new shops all over the US.

I personally think there are too many Chico/Soma/WHBM stores and they probably expanded too quickly beyond what was needed or sustainable so a right-sizing is appropriate. Sure, it's sad for people losing their jobs, but it happens every day - stores close and new stores open to replace them.

hmmm, I 'll have to keep an eye out for closings. I have 5 pieces (short skirt, long skirt, slacks, long sleeve top and jacket) all in the same black fabric that have become my cruising staples! A few additional tanks/camisoles, other tops, silk sweater, and a some accessories and I am set for 2 weeks.

Funny, a few seasons might go by and I can't find anything I like then all of the sudden, I like everything in the store.

I never was a fan on Cold Water Creek, but do like Chico's and Soma.

Thanks for the info

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Funny, a few seasons might go by and I can't find anything I like then all of the sudden, I like everything in the store.

I agree. I got a gift card for Christmas but haven't been able to find anything there since. I saw this post and initially thought I'd have to run over and at least get some jewelry or something before the card became worthless. Now I see they are closing some stores in a restructuring. Whew.

Edited by hrhdhd

Hi Lois. I shopped at the Chico's at the Avenues yesterday and was shocked when they told me they would be closing March 26. So sad. I prefer the Avenues over the Town Center because it is more convenient for me. The Coldwater Creek, at the outlet mall here in St.Augustine, closed a while back. My options are getting limited. I hope the people at those stores have found other jobs. Have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise.

Coincidentally, I just logged on to share the news that today I received a brand new Coldwater Creek catalog! The company was purchased and is back. The catalog looks very much like the old ones. The website is back up at http://www.Coldwatercreek.com. I suspect that if the clothes didn't fit you before, they probably won't now. :):D

Hi Lois. I shopped at the Chico's at the Avenues yesterday and was shocked when they told me they would be closing March 26. So sad. I prefer the Avenues over the Town Center because it is more convenient for me. The Coldwater Creek, at the outlet mall here in St.Augustine, closed a while back. My options are getting limited. I hope the people at those stores have found other jobs. Have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise.

Hi....I went to Town Center yesterday (in the yukky weather) and

they are not closing but they did tell me about the Avenues store.

I used to live closer to that mall but I am very close to Towne Center

now:).......I love it here;)

Thanks......I sail on Saturday:D

I think retail is rough. Most people are sale hungry...and willing to wait for the sales for the items they want. They find codes and gets the discounts and I often wonder how the brands can survive with the current mentality of buyers. If you don't have a "necessary" or very specialty product...then there is nothing motivating customers to pay full price or normal retail.

The problem is that stores like Coldwater Creek and Chicos (and Talbots and Ann Taylor and Loft) are charging too much to begin with. No wonder everyone holds out for a sale. I'm not going to pay $70 for a blouse. Price the blouse at $45 and then maybe people will buy it. Unfortunately, we have to wait for the sales because the retail price is so overbloated.

Coincidentally, I just logged on to share the news that today I received a brand new Coldwater Creek catalog! The company was purchased and is back. The catalog looks very much like the old ones. The website is back up at http://www.Coldwatercreek.com. I suspect that if the clothes didn't fit you before, they probably won't now. :):D

Thanks so much for the info. So glad they are "back".:)

The problem is that stores like Coldwater Creek and Chicos (and Talbots and Ann Taylor and Loft) are charging too much to begin with. No wonder everyone holds out for a sale. I'm not going to pay $70 for a blouse. Price the blouse at $45 and then maybe people will buy it. Unfortunately, we have to wait for the sales because the retail price is so overbloated.

Not going to work. JCPenney tried that and sales tanked. The shopping public likes a 'sale'.

Not going to work. JCPenney tried that and sales tanked. The shopping public likes a 'sale'.

That's true. It's kind of a shame. I just want a decent price but now I have to wait until the next sale and hope they still have what I want in my size.

But think about it - if they can put everything in the store "on sale" for 50% off, the stuff must be way overpriced to begin with.

Edited by CruisinCrow

I'm sorry to read this. I just discovered a second Chico's had opened near me about a year ago and I didn't know. :o I'll have to check if they are on the 'to be closed' list. I hope not.

Really sorry to hear about Chicos. It's my go to store for travel clothing. Is there a list of which stores are closing?

Hi Carol, I have not seen a list. Maybe if you go to their website you

can find some more informaton.