Darkwood or other non-commercial beach? and reviews on Lawrence of antigua

anka-morfin

we're looking for a non-resort, quite beach to stop by with older parents and little kids for a couple of hours after a few hours of touring the island with Lawrence of Antigua . Of all reviews I read on tripadvisor Darkwood seems like the quietest one. Any personal experiences here? Valley church seems to be too crowded and commercial?

And since I posting already, any recent reviews on Lawrence of Antigua? We booked a tour with him for the full day including the beach stop after reading the positive reviews here but that was about 4 months ago. I hope nothing changed :)

We loved Darkwood Beach. Other than a few jet skis, it was very quiet and not crowded. It is big enough to get away from others. And best of all, the water is gorgeous! When we arrived in Antigua we were trying to decide which beach to go to-- some locals recommended Darkwood to us. We were very, very glad we listened.

We did Darkwood with Lawrence last February. Loved the beach. Nice and quiet. There's a bit of a bar there for drinks. Lady that owns it is related to Lawrence if I remember correctly. Would highly recommend the experience to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did Darkwood with Lawrence last February. Loved the beach. Nice and quiet. There's a bit of a bar there for drinks. Lady that owns it is related to Lawrence if I remember correctly. Would highly recommend the experience to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's perfect! Love to support locals. We're taking an all-day private tour with Lawrence and stopping at that beach

We started going to Darkwood, about 10 years ago, on the suggestion of a really cool guy who now happens to be a CC moderator :). On most of our island visits, we still go to Darkwood and take our snorkel gear along. The snorkeling is not great...but its OK and you do sometimes see some interesting fish. Most of the time we use the local bus (I think its the #22 or #20) which only costs us a couple of dollars. And the bus drops us right at the beach (Darkwood is very close to the road). It is about a 10-15 minute stroll from the cruise pier to the bus station (walk into town and turn right) and even the walk through town is fun. We can easily afford taxis....but using the local transportation is often fun...and we have met some terrific islanders on the buses.

Hank