Cool drone videos of ms Rotterdam

Boytjie

This past Jan/Feb/Mar we were on the Statendam from FLL to San Diego and then stayed on for the Hawaii/South Pacific/San Diego Leg. One of the officers on the ship had a Professional grade Hex Copter (6 motors) with FPV (first person video) which allows him via data link to see on his transmitter exactly what the Hex Copter is seeing. At our stop in Puerto Chiapas he got it out and was flying it up and down along pier and along the ship (he was not in uniform). The Mexican authorities did not like that and told him to stop.

Then in Bora Bora he got it out and flew it around in the bay while we were anchored and also followed the tenders as they were taking passengers back for forth. Later in the cruise he showed the video of those flights in Bora Bora on the big screen in the showroom at sea as part of the "Virtual Ship Tour" presentation. The video was amazing.

I was talking to one of the officers during our Voyage of the Viking this summer. We had 8 miles of pack ice to navigate when we came out of the Prince Christian Sund into the open ocean and I suggested that a Hex Copter like the officer used in Bora Bora would have been great for finding the best path to get through the ice. He was aware of the situation on the Statendam and said that HAL no longer allows remote piloted vehicles on the ships.

BTW - I am a retired Aerospace Engineer from the Navy and have built and flown radio controlled aircraft for private use for over 30 years. As long as you follow common sense rules and the current rules of the FAA (don't fly above 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport and not over crowds) they are safe to use and a great tool for many industries including farming, firefighting and entertainment just to name a few. Just like an automobile - in the hands of an idiot they are dangerous

I don't know about being outlawed but I did wonder, upon watching the videos, if HAL has a policy about drones buzzing their ships. :confused:

They may have a policy but I don't know what that would mean to anyone not onboard a HAL ship.

Very clear and sharp pictures. We were in Katakolon this past June and wandered around the little town a bit. We'd been there the year before and done the Olympia visit so just relaxed. Fun to see it from a different perspective.

As for drones and HAL policy about all they could control is the launching of a drone from their ships. I would imagine they'd take a dim view of a passenger flying a drone from their decks. Other than that HAL is subject to local laws so about all they could do is be annoyed and maybe complain to local authorities.

Edited by Randyk47

Very clear and sharp pictures. We were in Katakolon this past June and wandered around the little town a bit. We'd been there the year before and done the Olympia visit so just relaxed. Fun to see it from a different perspective.

As for drones and HAL policy about all they could control is the launching of a drone from their ships. I would imagine they'd take a dim view of a passenger flying a drone from their decks. Other than that HAL is subject to local laws so about all they could do is be annoyed and maybe complain to local authorities.

I just couldn't help but wonder if having a drone of unknown origin and intent flying that close to (and over) the ship would represent a concern for the ship's officers and security folks.

I just couldn't help but wonder if having a drone of unknown origin and intent flying that close to (and over) the ship would represent a concern for the ship's officers and security folks.

There's a recent case where a home owner took down a drone with his shotgun. He thought it was an invasion of privacy because it was hovering over his backyard. Last I heard he was charged with destruction of private property and discharging a firearm in a residential area. :) HAL may be concerned and watch the drone but that's probably about all they can do barring local laws. Here in Texas there actually is a law against using a drone to take pictures of anything but your own property. Between that and living in an FAA restricted zone I've never seen a drone around my house.

Edited by Randyk47

There's a recent case where a home owner took down a drone with his shotgun. He thought it was an invasion of privacy because it was hovering over his backyard. Last I heard he was charged with destruction of private property and discharging a firearm in a residential area. :) HAL may be concerned and watch the drone but that's probably about all they can do barring local laws. Here in Texas there actually is a law against using a drone to take pictures of anything but your own property. Between that and living in an FAA restricted zone I've never seen a drone around my house.

My sympathies were with that homeowner. The firearm discharge is clearly a valid issue, but no one should have to tolerate an invasive drone over their own property. To my of thinking a drone ceases to be "private property" the moment it crosses over into someone else's airspace / property. And all cruise lines should be properly freaked out over these things. I wonder how ISIS's drone training is coming along . . . . .

My sympathies were with that homeowner. The firearm discharge is clearly a valid issue, but no one should have to tolerate an invasive drone over their own property. To my of thinking a drone ceases to be "private property" the moment it crosses over into someone else's airspace / property. And all cruise lines should be properly freaked out over these things. I wonder how ISIS's drone training is coming along . . . . .

Totally agree - and who do you think will pay the lawsuit when one crashes into people on board?

Looking at my previous post this morning I realized I may, by the placement of the emoticon, made it look like I was happy the home owner got charged. My bad. While I don't support or condone his use of a firearm in a residential area I do understand his action against what he felt was an invasion of his privacy and the emoticon really was in support of that. I also second the thought that drone ownership and operation allowed to continue to grow unregulated is going to lead to some planned malicious events or unintended accidents and injuries.

Edited by Randyk47