Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here is Bella's intenet debut at 3 months old' date=' My Beautiful Bella.....[/quote']

I was only wondering to myself at the weekend how you were doing - I am so happy to hear your good news and that you are doing well.

Aaaaaah Your precious Bella - the beautiful one for sure - and she looks like it won't be long before she's ruling the roost as it were with that little beautiful face! I am sure she will be a great friend to you and I just know you will have lots of love for her in your heart - I look forward to hearing more of your adventures with Bella. I just love the way our doggy pals arrive and before we know it, it's like they've always been there! :)

Sending you best wishes for your recuperation. Take it easy and enjoy the delights of Bella and her unconditional love :D

Hi Everyone, it's been a very, very crazy past 4 days. Horton is pure joy and genious. Let's see.......

First: The CCI Dorms [better known as the Dean & Gerta Koonz Campus] is absolutely pristeen. The dorm rooms are furnished so beautifully. The "Great Room" and kitchen area are so warm and inviting....we all would love to have homes just like it. Thank you Dean Koonz for all the money that you've donated to CCI and for being such a champion for our dogs.

Second: Horton was so good on his ADI Testing. He even showed off and picked up his leash and handed it to me.....he really impressed the trainers on that one. And, going up and down the escalator was a breeze. And, in the restaurant he totally ignored the food that was thrown on and beside him, such a good boy!

I'll get the results of his testing in the mail [he'll get either a one or three year cert.] I was told he did really well and that we were a great match. Albeit, he has to lose 10lbs [who doesn't?], his nails should be shorter [they really want the dogs nails to be non existent!] And, he had some tartar on his teeth [i need to brush them more vigorously!]

The stuff that happened in Sandy Hook on Friday, happened during our testing and everyone was glued to their phones and at the T.V.'s in the mall. So sad and disheartening what we do to our fellow man and to our children. I spent the whole day yesterday with my 7 year old Granddaughter Sarah & 9 year old Grandson Ben.......I couldn't hug them enough!!!!!

Barbara, I'm thrilled for you and Bella and am so glad that you're on the road to mending your body and your soul. Bella will be your "new" love and she'll remind you of how much you loved and adored Valentine. Enjoy her! I wish you the very best. And, I figured that you were writing through tears......It's been very hard and we totally understand! ;)

Nancy, we're going to Cari's Graduation on April 21st. It's going to be at the Guidedogs location in Sylmar, CA., which is not too far from where I live. I'm so happy for her. She's an amazing woman and dog trainer. I know Denver will enjoy his retirement and his new buddy. It's going to be difficult because Cari and Denver were quite a team......but, Cari knows it can be done!

Well, where's our Cindy? She's must exhausted.....take your time. As we get older it gets harder and harder to recover from vacations! :rolleyes:

Hi Roz and welcome back!

I am so pleased to hear that Horton was such a star ..., if I knew how to post a big Gold Star here I would! ;):). I did laugh at the need to lose 10lbs ... Our boy dog could do with losing a bit too, just like his "Mum"! LOL!

I just knew you would have the right words for Barbara, I did post a reply to her but you know her much much better! Have you looked at that photo of Bella ... Isn't she a sweetie.

Glad you got to hug your grand kids - it's been heartbreaking watching the news from Newtown, that I just can't watch it any more.

Cheers for Horton :D

Back from our cruise and had a wonderful time. So glad to meet Cindy, John, Lee and most of all WEXLER, what a sweet boy he is. I fell in love with him. I even got to babysit for a few hours and loved it. I wanted to take him home but John was holding on to him, really tight. Hopefully we will meet another time. I think I spoiled Wex with the cookies, I had for him.:p I think we might have to get another dog now-----Ed and I both fell in love with him. I have already looked at CCI and all the great things that they do for so many people.

Roz, I gave Cindy a big hug from you. You do have to cruise with her sometime----thats what sisters do. :D

Cindy, hope you, John,Lee and Wex had a safe trip home. I know it was a really long day for you. So nice to finally meet you----keep in touch. Kisses to Wex and hugs to you.

Happy Holidays to one and all.

Hi Roz and welcome back!

I am so pleased to hear that Horton was such a star ..., if I knew how to post a big Gold Star here I would! ;):). I did laugh at the need to lose 10lbs ... Our boy dog could do with losing a bit too, just like his "Mum"! LOL!

I just knew you would have the right words for Barbara, I did post a reply to her but you know her much much better! Have you looked at that photo of Bella ... Isn't she a sweetie.

Glad you got to hug your grand kids - it's been heartbreaking watching the news from Newtown, that I just can't watch it any more.

Thank you so much for your good wishes....I'm so proud of Horton and when we walk together and go anywhere I'm so proud that he's mine and am honored to walk with him.

They brought "Support" dogs into Newtown and what a difference they made for the children and adults alike! Nothing like hugging a dog to bring joy and laughter back into your life.

Bella is a beautiful little girl.......she'll take care of Barbara and soon life will be welcoming again.

Cheers for Horton :D

Back from our cruise and had a wonderful time. So glad to meet Cindy, John, Lee and most of all WEXLER, what a sweet boy he is. I fell in love with him. I even got to babysit for a few hours and loved it. I wanted to take him home but John was holding on to him, really tight. Hopefully we will meet another time. I think I spoiled Wex with the cookies, I had for him.:p I think we might have to get another dog now-----Ed and I both fell in love with him. I have already looked at CCI and all the great things that they do for so many people.

Roz, I gave Cindy a big hug from you. You do have to cruise with her sometime----thats what sisters do. :D

Cindy, hope you, John,Lee and Wex had a safe trip home. I know it was a really long day for you. So nice to finally meet you----keep in touch. Kisses to Wex and hugs to you.

Happy Holidays to one and all.

Trudy, thank you.

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time with our boy "Wexy!" Sounds like you had a great cruise and Cindy and her gang added to it.

Welcome back and may the holidays and New Year bring you and yours good health and laughter! :)

We're baccckkkk! :D Lucky for all of you! Hahaha I had to go home to CT yesterday and spent 6 hours doing laundry. :( I think we are finally back to normal (well as normal as we can be).

Trudy glad to see you made it home safely. It was a pleasure to meet you and Ed. And thank you for watching Wexler.

Wexler now also needs to lose 10 lbs. Between Trudy and our other friends, Wex had cookies galore!! He had some love relationship with Trudy, maybe cuz she was the cookie lady but he just adored her. Our other friends, one who was in a wheelchair, had a bag of cookies too. When he would see them, he knew it was feeding time. Both couples were trying to steal him. :( Trying to fit him in their suitcases.

I did get hugs from Trudy but I hope one day to get real hugs from my sister Roz.

Congrats Roz on passing your test!!! Way to go Horty!!! Somehow they know when it's important and they can really turn it on.

Trudy did you look into a release dog? If you do end up filling out an application, I will call my friend up here and see if she has any connections down in Florida.

As for the CT shootings, I have cried everyday. It is just devastating and this one hit too close to home. CT is a very small state and nothing is more than an hour away. I was very nervous with John going back to school today, something I never thought to worry about before. I have never seen so many news reporters and so many men crying before. And anyone who doesn't think that our President isn't great is just nuts. He makes me proud to live in this country. I pray for all the families who lost their little ones and all those brave teachers who gave their lives.

We're baccckkkk! :D Lucky for all of you! Hahaha I had to go home to CT yesterday and spent 6 hours doing laundry. :( I think we are finally back to normal (well as normal as we can be).

Trudy glad to see you made it home safely. It was a pleasure to meet you and Ed. And thank you for watching Wexler.

Wexler now also needs to lose 10 lbs. Between Trudy and our other friends, Wex had cookies galore!! He had some love relationship with Trudy, maybe cuz she was the cookie lady but he just adored her. Our other friends, one who was in a wheelchair, had a bag of cookies too. When he would see them, he knew it was feeding time. Both couples were trying to steal him. :( Trying to fit him in their suitcases.

I did get hugs from Trudy but I hope one day to get real hugs from my sister Roz.

Congrats Roz on passing your test!!! Way to go Horty!!! Somehow they know when it's important and they can really turn it on.

Trudy did you look into a release dog? If you do end up filling out an application, I will call my friend up here and see if she has any connections down in Florida.

As for the CT shootings, I have cried everyday. It is just devastating and this one hit too close to home. CT is a very small state and nothing is more than an hour away. I was very nervous with John going back to school today, something I never thought to worry about before. I have never seen so many news reporters and so many men crying before. And anyone who doesn't think that our President isn't great is just nuts. He makes me proud to live in this country. I pray for all the families who lost their little ones and all those brave teachers who gave their lives.

So, I want to write to you but you've got me so welled-up with tears I'm like Barbara, I can't see straight to write.

Cindy, my intellectual side says that John is safe and there's nothing to worry about but after what we all witnessed this past week.......No one is immune to the violence in our world! Our babies, these sweet children belong to all of us......and, the brave women who tried to save them, my heart hurts!

Okay, enough, I'm so glad you're home and it sounds like your cruise was a good one. Was the potty box in a good place and did they treat you all well?

Thank you for your confidence in me......I think we'll get 3 years....he's a great dog and deserves it.

Trudy, the waiting list is closed for released dogs from CCI and will re-open in 6 months. Make sure you're on the list. There's was a time when the waiting list was longer than 2 years.

I missed you Cindy and I'm so glad that your all safe and home. I'd love to cruise with you one day.

Another Roz Story: We moved our offices to a location that doesn't have a good potty spot or play area for Horton. Brenda was very lucky to have the advantage of working with me when I was at a community center, with large, fenced in play yards and big grassy areas. Horton only got to enjoy that for a few months before we moved into a real "citified" office. We have to dodge cars to go for our walks and the grassy areas are so few that other dogs waste is left everywhere and poor Horty has to dodge that.

So, I found a company called; "Dog and the City"; they set up potty-box's with real sod and maintain them every two weeks for a monthly fee. I'm going to have it placed in our underground garage and no more rainy days and the chance of a "hit and run!" I'll see how it goes. It'll be worth it if it means my precious dog won't be hit by a car!

Horton is very good at going potty in a potty box and nothing will seem different to him. I'll let you all know.

Love you Cindy, welcome home!

Well Roz, we all knew and the boy could do it! Hope it is the 3 year cert. And so exciting that you get to go to Cari's graduation. So, if Horty has a potty box in the garage you can just pretend you are getting ready to go on a cruise!

Welcome home cruisers! Glad you had a good time.

My heart is still broken, I can only imagine how any of them feel. Cindy, I know you have it even worse, being so close to home. I am a little more nervous at school and have run it thru my head what we would do if we had a situation even remotely like theirs. I have already brought several safety issues that I am concerned about to the attention of the front office. I am a bulldog when it comes to safety and I will keep at them.

So, I

Trudy, the waiting list is closed for released dogs from CCI and will re-open in 6 months. Make sure you're on the list. There's was a time when the waiting list was longer than 2 years.

Thanks Roz, I have written CCI and they sent a note back that they will be in touch. Not sure if we can wait that long, but we will see. We were so taken by Wex, what a wonderful dog John has.

Glad things are back to normal Cindy. I am still getting unpacked. Had to get some things done before the unpacking started. My Art group had a holiday lunchen and celebrated two birthdays at the same time. Then we go and paint for a couple of hours. We have a show in February, so we have to get ready for that and we also have a fun time when we are together.

Now, do I go and get a Christmas tree or just put a few things around to get in the Holiday Spirit. :confused: We have no one coming, so I don't know what I will do yet ?

Talk to you later.

Thanks S.S. Cruisers----I had a great time on the cruise and loved Holland America and best of all I met Cindy and her family and of course Wex. I couldn't sleep the night before they boarded-----I couldn't wait to meet them. :D

Wishing all of you, Happy Holidays and a Safe and Happy New Year, with Love and Peace also. God Bless American and Safety to our Troops.

So, I want to write to you but you've got me so welled-up with tears I'm like Barbara, I can't see straight to write.

Cindy, my intellectual side says that John is safe and there's nothing to worry about but after what we all witnessed this past week.......No one is immune to the violence in our world! Our babies, these sweet children belong to all of us......and, the brave women who tried to save them, my heart hurts!

Okay, enough, I'm so glad you're home and it sounds like your cruise was a good one. Was the potty box in a good place and did they treat you all well?

Thank you for your confidence in me......I think we'll get 3 years....he's a great dog and deserves it.

I missed you Cindy and I'm so glad that your all safe and home. I'd love to cruise with you one day.

Another Roz Story: We moved our offices to a location that doesn't have a good potty spot or play area for Horton. Brenda was very lucky to have the advantage of working with me when I was at a community center, with large, fenced in play yards and big grassy areas. Horton only got to enjoy that for a few months before we moved into a real "citified" office. We have to dodge cars to go for our walks and the grassy areas are so few that other dogs waste is left everywhere and poor Horty has to dodge that.

So, I found a company called; "Dog and the City"; they set up potty-box's with real sod and maintain them every two weeks for a monthly fee. I'm going to have it placed in our underground garage and no more rainy days and the chance of a "hit and run!" I'll see how it goes. It'll be worth it if it means my precious dog won't be hit by a car!

Horton is very good at going potty in a potty box and nothing will seem different to him. I'll let you all know.

Love you Cindy, welcome home!

That "dog and the city" thing sounds great! I had no idea that service was provided anywhere.

The only issue we had with the potty box was they had about 10 squares of sod in the middle of the box all stacked up. Lee actually had to remove them and place a layer in the box. He moved the extras on the deck. The dirt was so thick and claylike it got all over him. He actually had to wash his hands! And we all know how tough it is for a man to have to wash! :eek: They put a basket for the poop bags and actually had a box of kleenex (??? not sure what that was for) and some womens sanitary disposal bags there. :confused: It's the thought that counts. lol

My heart is still broken, I can only imagine how any of them feel. Cindy, I know you have it even worse, being so close to home. I am a little more nervous at school and have run it thru my head what we would do if we had a situation even remotely like theirs. I have already brought several safety issues that I am concerned about to the attention of the front office. I am a bulldog when it comes to safety and I will keep at them.

You go girl!!!! Anything we can do to make things safe for our kids.

Just to let you all know, Trudy is a wonderful painter. I will take pics of the things she gave us and try to post them here.

Don't bother with the tree now Trudy. I'm sorry that CCI is so backlogged with applications for release dogs. We would send Wex down for a visit, but I'm afraid we wouldn't get him back. :eek:

Wexler has been sleeping for 3 days now. He isn't even being his usual pesty boy. John said at school is hasn't moved from his bed. And he comes home, eats and sacks out for the night. I guess he needs to unwind from his week of excitement.

John did meet a lady who said she reads our little thread and enjoys it very much.

Lastly, it's Johns birthday today and everyone is invited for cake!!!!! :D

Just to let you all know, Trudy is a wonderful painter. I will take pics of the things she gave us and try to post them here.

Don't bother with the tree now Trudy. I'm sorry that CCI is so backlogged with applications for release dogs. We would send Wex down for a visit, but I'm afraid we wouldn't get him back. :eek:

Wexler has been sleeping for 3 days now. He isn't even being his usual pesty boy. John said at school is hasn't moved from his bed. And he comes home, eats and sacks out for the night. I guess he needs to unwind from his week of excitement.

John did meet a lady who said she reads our little thread and enjoys it very much.

Happy Birthday John---many more. And I am coming for cake :D U better hide Wex.;) Have a great day.

You are kind Cindy about the paintings. It is lots of fun for me. :)

We have been doing a lot of resting also---today I feel back to normal,ALMOST.:p That walking around to go to Bingo, and to eat and to shows was just so EXAUSTING for us. I hope you are giving Wexler his cookies. LOL

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone.

Well Roz, we all knew and the boy could do it! Hope it is the 3 year cert. And so exciting that you get to go to Cari's graduation. So, if Horty has a potty box in the garage you can just pretend you are getting ready to go on a cruise!

Welcome home cruisers! Glad you had a good time.

It's wonderful people like you who will keep our children as safe as they can be. The Principal, connected to this tragedy, actually threw herself at the gunman, hoping to stop him and died in doing so. I have no doubt you'd be pro-active in caring for your students as well!

It's beyond sad. :(

Thanks Roz, I have written CCI and they sent a note back that they will be in touch. Not sure if we can wait that long, but we will see. We were so taken by Wex, what a wonderful dog John has.

Glad things are back to normal Cindy. I am still getting unpacked. Had to get some things done before the unpacking started. My Art group had a holiday lunchen and celebrated two birthdays at the same time. Then we go and paint for a couple of hours. We have a show in February, so we have to get ready for that and we also have a fun time when we are together.

Now, do I go and get a Christmas tree or just put a few things around to get in the Holiday Spirit. :confused: We have no one coming, so I don't know what I will do yet ?

Talk to you later.

Thanks S.S. Cruisers----I had a great time on the cruise and loved Holland America and best of all I met Cindy and her family and of course Wex. I couldn't sleep the night before they boarded-----I couldn't wait to meet them. :D

Wishing all of you, Happy Holidays and a Safe and Happy New Year, with Love and Peace also. God Bless American and Safety to our Troops.

Trudy, welcome home. Aren't our dogs amazing! I hope one day that Wexy and Horty will be able to meet and play together.....now, that would be something to see!

Good luck with your art.......Can you make our world a prettier place?

That "dog and the city" thing sounds great! I had no idea that service was provided anywhere.

The only issue we had with the potty box was they had about 10 squares of sod in the middle of the box all stacked up. Lee actually had to remove them and place a layer in the box. He moved the extras on the deck. The dirt was so thick and claylike it got all over him. He actually had to wash his hands! And we all know how tough it is for a man to have to wash! :eek: They put a basket for the poop bags and actually had a box of kleenex (??? not sure what that was for) and some womens sanitary disposal bags there. :confused: It's the thought that counts. lol

We'll see how it goes with Dog in the City....they do all the high rises here in Beverly Hills and dowtown L.A. They deliver the sod and either you pick-up and dispose the old stuff or for a fee they'll do everything. As my father would say, "everything's a business!"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JOHN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU"

May the coming year bring you much good health and a lot of laughter!

Love & Licks,

Roz & Horty

We're read by more people than we realize. I was at the cleaners and the man behind the counter saw Horton and said that he reads a blog about people who travel with their Service Dogs on cruises. It was us!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!

Trudy...how bout becoming a CCI puppy raiser?? :D

DisneyKidsDad-----as much as that sounds GREAT-----I would have a really hard time giving the dog Back :( Thats whY I don't work with animals, especially orphaned ones-----I would have them all at my house. AND WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF PROPERITY. A Great thought tho.

Cindy---what letters does your e mail start with-----I can't find it in my address book and I don't remember what it was. Thanks

I will let John read all the Birthday wishes when he gets home.

Now here's a few pics, sorry they aren't better. First one is Trudy and her buddy, then the painting she made and finally the pic of Wexler that she painted on a feather from some little pic I posted here. Unbelieveable!

1741282630_CopyofWesterdam2012053.jpg.687a70f297712d9c9b8ccc082dedad2d.jpg

1422889262_CopyofWesterdam2012054.jpg.04f8d94196b2b802cad6e580fae4e9dd.jpg

126498247_CopyofWesterdam2012057.jpg.22ea77160de5e3cf89146ae17f09acff.jpg

DisneyKidsDad-----as much as that sounds GREAT-----I would have a really hard time giving the dog Back :( Thats whY I don't work with animals, especially orphaned ones-----I would have them all at my house. AND WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF PROPERITY. A Great thought tho.

Cindy---what letters does your e mail start with-----I can't find it in my address book and I don't remember what it was. Thanks

bailee01@hotmail.com