Cruise Insurance with Ebola ...

Doc Rick

There was a time that I did not buy any cruise insurance and took the risk ...... but as I started getting older and older I do buy the insurance

With the ebola threat that some people did not even think it can happen on a cruise ...... perhaps more will consider the insurance.

What do you think would have been covered in the event of Carnival's recent cruise? What do you think might be covered in the future?

I don't think anything would be covered unless you or a close relative became ill.

The only things covered by cruise insurance is what is specifically mentioned in the policy. Most of the policies are written in a "plain English" way that is much easier to read than they were several years ago when it was all in legalese. I'd suggest you pick a policy of the type you'd typically get, for example a cruise line's policy posted on their website, and read it to get an idea of what is really covered in a typical policy.

Assume a fellow passenger actually had ebola. Would the cruise insurance cover if such a fellow passenger on your ship vomited over the railing, spraying most of the side of the ship's balconies and anyone walking below (such as when in port)?

If you caught Ebola, yes. Otherwise, you have no loss, so no.

In over 25 cruises, I think we only took insurance on one. With the recent itinerary changes that have occurred to a Carnival ship due to the THREAT of ebola virus, would it be a wise choice to start taking the additional insurance...?

I suggest insurance for other reasons. On our last cruise, one of our cruisecritic people had a heart attack on the ship while in Roatan. He was 57, thin, healthy. They didn't want to put him ashore there (4 bed hospital with no way for surgery), so he stayed in the ships hospital ($$$ not all paid for by their private insurance, since it's out of network), after being zapped by the paddles twice. They called an ambulance for him in Cozumel ($7,000) to take him to the airport for quad surgery (again, out of network) in Ft Lauderdale (private medical jet $50,000). He has to stay in FL (he and his wife, in a hotel) for a couple of weeks with a visiting nurse coming daily. Princess has been wonderful, and they are so happy they got the insurance.

I'll never go without insurance again (not that I have much in the past).