7 Sisters Falls: How is the Hike?

DanielBu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did the hike last week. We had a driver for the day, and we combined the hike with a visit to Dougladston spice plantation, the Gouyave nutmeg station and snorkeling at Magazine beach for $150 for our group of four. I'd say that the hike is about 1/2 hour each way, and moderately strenous, though the path was slippery from loose dirt in a couple of places and we slipped there. I was glad that I had not brought my 73 year old mother with me on the hike, as she would have had problems due to the steepness in portions and the tricky footing, but any reasonably in shape person should be able to do it with no problem. It had not rained for a while when we were there, so the trail was dry, but I can imagine it would be little more slippery in some places when wet. They have walking sticks at the starting point of the hike that we were told were "required." We were glad we had them with us, as it helped in negotiating some of the portions of the trail. The direction to the falls is largely flat or downhill, and will seem easy and quick. The way back is of course uphill and thus more tiring. The falls themselves are great for swimming in, better than I expected from the photos I had seen. There were only a few other people there at the same time as us, but we arrived mid-day, and I believe that larger tour groups come first thing in the morning (our ship had an excursion that left at 8:30). Entrance fee was $2 US per person. I highly recommend the hike. It was a highlight of our cruise, and will leave you with time to do other things the same day.

I just did the hike last week. We had a driver for the day, and we combined the hike with a visit to Dougladston spice plantation, the Gouyave nutmeg station and snorkeling at Magazine beach for $150 for our group of four. I'd say that the hike is about 1/2 hour each way, and moderately strenous, though the path was slippery from loose dirt in a couple of places and we slipped there. I was glad that I had not brought my 73 year old mother with me on the hike, as she would have had problems due to the steepness in portions and the tricky footing, but any reasonably in shape person should be able to do it with no problem. It had not rained for a while when we were there, so the trail was dry, but I can imagine it would be little more slippery in some places when wet. They have walking sticks at the starting point of the hike that we were told were "required." We were glad we had them with us, as it helped in negotiating some of the portions of the trail. The direction to the falls is largely flat or downhill, and will seem easy and quick. The way back is of course uphill and thus more tiring. The falls themselves are great for swimming in, better than I expected from the photos I had seen. There were only a few other people there at the same time as us, but we arrived mid-day, and I believe that larger tour groups come first thing in the morning (our ship had an excursion that left at 8:30). Entrance fee was $2 US per person. I highly recommend the hike. It was a highlight of our cruise, and will leave you with time to do other things the same day.

How did you book your driver?? We leave ina few days and still have not made plans for this Island?

We did the 7 sisters fall hike with Mandoo in January and had a great time. We had a group of about 15 people, mostly from our roll call. All ages, from young adults to late 50's. It's a moderately strenuous hike, we all made it just fine. After we got to 7 sisters, Mandoo took a few of us more adventurous types (I'm in decent shape, but not a regular hiker and I did it) to Honeymoon falls, as well - a short side trip and well worth it! Our whole tour, including transportation to the hiking site, was about 4 1/2 hours, so we had time afterwards to explore the spice market near the dock.

It's our third tour with Mandoo - he's a great guide. Informative and entertaining. Mandoo can be reached at mandoo@grenadatours.com.

The hike, itself, was wonderful. We got a chance to stop at Grand Etang briefly on the way, and got to see and pet some monkeys, then off to the hike. The first part is relatively flat, through a plantation, where Mandoo points out the various trees and fruits (and gives you an opportunity to taste), then you get to the rain forest. It's muddy in parts, and you do go through some streams (it is a rainforest, after all). You hike to the bottom of the falls (which means hiking in is downhill, hiking out is uphill). This was our 3rd rainforest hike in two years, and we're planning a couple more next year - one on Dominica and one on St. Kitts. I'd do this one again in a heartbeat!

We did the hike by hiring a taxi driver for the day when we got to Grenada. There were many vans and drivers waiting to be hired. We told the driver what we wanted to do, and he quoted us a price of $150 for the whole day for the four of us.

Archived