Paris - 3.5 Days Pre Cruise

hubofhockey

The Plan: We were doing a 12-Night British Isles cruise from Southampton, England. The cruise began on July 8. We left in the afternoon on July 3 and would get three plus days in Paris with a red eye arriving in Paris at 6:30 am on July 4. Our first decision was whether to fly to Southampton from Paris or take a train to London on Saturday and a transfer to Southampton on the morning of the cruise. Flying to Southampton is somewhat problematic. The airline that serves this route is Flybe. It has Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon flights to Southampton from Orly. So, we would lose Saturday morning in Paris and have to spend a day in Southampton. Now, some might want to do that. But to us, Southampton is not a destination and not a place we wanted to spend an entire day and night. We bought Eurostar tickets a $65 per person for the 2:15 train, which arrives in London at 3:30 pm. We had plans with a couple to see Billy Elliott and share a transfer to Southampton the next morning. This gave us an extra half day in Paris, a great musical in London and transportation to arrive at our cruise before noon on Sunday. DONE, plan set.

Logistics: Our flight arrived right as scheduled at CDG outside of Paris. We had our luggage by 7:00 am, found an ATM (we began our trip with 17 euros in our pockets and Capital One debit and credit cards), and got in the taxi line by 7:30 and in a taxi a little after that. Traffic was horrific and this made the ride over an hour and cost was 75 euros with tip, ouch. We arrived at Hotel Gramont Opera a little after 8:30 and they had a room ready for us. We checked in and showered and changed. On three hours of sleep on the plane, we wanted to get past our jet lag and had an outdoor agenda set.

The Hotel: The Gramont Opera Hotel has great location, service, and is convenient to two Metro stations, each serving different lines. This boutique hotel is Trip Advisor favorite as they know how to cater to english speaking clientele. The day manager, Aurelie, also helps everyone out planning Metro connections and travel to daily destinations. They have a nice lobby with free bottled water and croissants for guests. Our three night rate during peak season was 207 euros per night (all inclusive with wifi). The rooms are small, but very comfortable. We'll definintley stay there again.

Tips for Paris Tourists: (1) The best way to get anywhere is the Metro (this is why Hotel Gramont Opera worked well for us). The Metro is 1,70 per ride anywhere in Central Paris. But the 10-ride Carnet pass will save another 20 to 25%. (2) Versailles connects to a regional train and round trip is still only 3,20 euros per person and it puts you right there. (3) We picked up the 2-day Museum Pass. This works well if you are also visiting Versailles. You may not save much. But you will skip the lines. If that's a factor, get the pass. Buy the pass once in Paris. There is no need to buy it beforehand and pay ridiculous shipping charges.

Day 1

1. Paris Along the Seine walking tour with Sight Seekers Delight - This is a great way to begin your first time in Paris. It is a five hour experience, including an hour break for lunch. You walk everywhere and see everything. The guides are knowledgeable and tour size is limited to 12. Price is 40 euros and well worth it. Right after we showered and changed, we took a Metro and met the group at 10:00 on the dot and the tour went until a little after 3:00 pm.
  2. Cultival's Behind the Scenes at the Eiffel Tower Tour. Not much rest as meeting time was 5:00 pm. Cost is 19,50 per person. This is 10 euros more for the simple entrance fee to the Eiffel Tower. It would be worth the extra monehy just to skip the 2-hours plus lines. But you also get a very nice tour and history of the Tower, including the bunkers underneath, and a tour below to see the technology at work. Another home run for us.
  3. Dinner at L'Ange 20 in the Marais. This is another extremely popular place on Trip Advisor and is rated #3 for restaurants in Paris. Now, it is probably not #3 from a culinary standpoint. But it is what everyone says about it. It has great food, a great chef, and great service. Best gazpacho I have had anywhere. Same goes for duck entree. It is that good. Of course, the reason for the high ratings is the fun and the value. We got out of there with a three course dinner and two drinks for about 85 euros for the two of us.

Day 2

1. After grabbing a quick breakfast from a local bakery and purchasing our 2-day Museum Pass, we arrived at the Orsay Museum at 10 am for a 2.5 hour visit. The museum itself is beautiful. The layout is great and it probably has an unmatched collection of impressionist art. Renoir is my favorite. But there are Degas, Monet, and other greats. It is now my favorite art museum.
  2. After a quick lunch, we headed for the Louvre. The Louvre is huge. You could spend days there. But our plan included the Rick Steves' tour of the Masterpieces in the Denon Wing of the museum. We toured the wing, which included the Victorie, Venus de Milo, and the Mona Lisa (yes, it draws huge crowds and is pretty small).
  3. We decided to go for a walk back to the hotel to get ready for the evening and had enough time for an hour tour of the Opera Garnier. By the time we got there, all of the tour were done with. We did the self guided tour. The price was 9 or 10 euros and, unfortunately, it is NOT included with the Paris museum pass. But the structure is incredible and worth a visit. Chagall painted the ceilings and the inside looks more like a palace and you get a good feel how the rich and famous lived during that era.
  4. Bateaux Mouches dinner cruise on the Seine was our plans for the evening. A couple of regulars on the France and Europe boards pretty much advised NOT to do this. However, I recommend it as a must for first time in tourist, traveling as couples in Paris. It is not cheap and is a special night out. The cost is 99 euros for the Prestige Menu. The food is good. I had the hen and it is a full five course meal and includes a bottle of champagne (pretty good) and a choice of a nice red or white (we took the white) wine. The dinner cruise is 3.5 hours or more in total. There is live music, featuring a pianist and violinist. The atmosphere is there and the views are incredible of Paris at night. Every table is a window table with great views of everything. Some who review this are reviewing the cruise at night, which just may be seats on a boat. The dinner cruises are different. It was worth every euro we paid with great memories.

Day 3

1. Versailles (included with the Museum Pass). We connected and made the 8:07 am regional train to Versailles. Round trip Metro with connection tickets are 3,20 euros. Bargain. Everyone on the train was carrying the Rick Steves Paris guide, which many on the uncrowded train found amusing. Rick advises the buffet breakfast at the Hotel Ibis on the walk to the Palace. It's a good tip. The breakfast is a bargain and will hold you over all morning until your return to Paris. We did a half day at Versailles. I have never been a place quite like it. It's opulence and beautiful gardens tell a great story. The House of Mirrors also blew me away. The art (stress on mythology and not religion) and rooms are something to behold as well. They have the audio guides (listening devices) which are included with the admission and informative. A formal tour is not needed. To me, the ones we passed were herds of people. I highly recommend a half day visit here.
  2. We were back in Paris a little after 1 and had a leisurely lunch at a nice bistro near our hotel. Not cheap because the hotel is located in a business area of town and this bistro is popular (Gramont Restaurant). But the locals love it and for good reason.
  3. After a nap, we headed for Montmartre walking tour with Sight Seekers Delight. We caught a little rain. The tour began near the Moulin Rouge and ended near the Sacre Couer (which we went into). Montmartre is a great artsy section (and also red light district) of Paris. It was home to the famous impressionists and musicians including van Gogh and Picasso, among others. Great tour. Cost was 20 or 25 euros and runs 2 to 2.5 hours.
  4. Dinner at Paul Chene near Trocadero metro stop. This was our fancy french restaurant night at the well reviewed Paul Chene. Chateaubriand was outstanding and so was everything. Dinner, drinks, and desserts ran about 90 euros per person. But it was our night out.

Day 4

1. We wanted to leave for the train station by a little past noon to catch our 2:15 pm Eurostar to London. The plan was to see things that we thought about doing and missed and doing a best of. At the same time, we wanted to do a lot of walking. The first stop was breakfast at a Paris Creperie. Most breakfast places are closed in Paris around 8 am on weekend. But we found on Rue de Richelieu near the hotel.
  2. Our Museum Pass was expired. But we wanted to see the Monet Murals at L'Orangerie. Cost was about 10 euros and we did a one hour visit. There is other impressionist art downstairs, which was a nice collection.
  3. The manager at our hotel had warned us about Champs Elysees, but we wanted to walk along the famous street in any case. Hah, the manager was right. It's the same stores you see in every big city. We got some photos of Arc de Triomphe and walked back to our hotel. Along the way, we picked up souvenirs for the kids and wine and Diet Cokes for our cruise at the Monoprix Supermarket.
  4. After checking out, we took a 10 euro taxi ride to Gare du Nord train station. We did the customs thing there, grabbed lunch, a good waiting spot at the station for the Eurostar. There is ample room for luggage on the Eurostar. But we managed to get ours inside the train (as opposed to between cars). We were off to London and Eurostar gives a very relaxing comfortable two hour ride to St Pancras station in London. We waited 20 minutes in line for a taxi after buying our London Olympics shirts and hats. We arrived at our hotel in time for showers before a dinner and a show. We loved the show and had a great dinner. But London is a far cry from Paris (to us) and we missed it already.

Some Thoughts: We probably did five days or more worth of touring in 3.5 days. Our itinerary was carefully planned. We did not relax much. Relaxation was every dinner and the dinners were great. While we saw pretty much on our "must do list", we would like to go back and relax and go to a jazz club, have dinner in Montmartre, explore more of the Marais, do a wine and cheese tasting. We would like to see the Rodin Museum and the Thinker statue. We may do a cruise to the Baltics, which begins in Amsterdam and do two more days in Paris and two in Amsterdam. We will stay in same hotel and have fun. Paris is at the top of my list. The people are friendly and the city is vibrant. They like when you try to speak a little French. They laughed at my efforts, while at the same time being helpful and friendly. It is not overpriced either. I would never do a hop on hop off in Paris (it's a walking city) or bother with three hours from a cruise ship. Many people feel compelled to visit London pre-cruise for British Isles cruises. But I would advise on the Paris option.

Two more things: (1) We had great weather. It was about 80 our first day and low to mid 70s thereafter. I wore shorts during the day everyday. I could not put them on at all on the British Isles cruise (highs in the 60s). (2) I do not claim to be a "traveler" like many of the regulars on these threads. I am a tourist trying to see foreign cities and have great experiences. I can see how the travelers among us would do things differently.

Edited by hubofhockey

Thanks for sharing your experience. I did the British Isle cruise on Princess in 2008. We flew to London and trained down to Southampton- and then disembarked early-on Day 11 -in LeHavre and spent two nights in Paris.

Then we flew back from Paris. I would recommend three nights though- I never got to Versailles and I was really disappointed about that.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

"I am a tourist trying to see foreign cities and have great experiences. I can see how the travelers among us would do things differently"

I have been to Paris many times [?15] and learned some things from your post. It seems like you really maximized your time and saw some of the best things. Enjoy your next trip there - you'll never get tired of Paris!

"I am a tourist trying to see foreign cities and have great experiences. I can see how the travelers among us would do things differently"

I have been to Paris many times [?15] and learned some things from your post. It seems like you really maximized your time and saw some of the best things. Enjoy your next trip there - you'll never get tired of Paris!

Thank you. Wow, 15 times. But I see why people love being there. It's just a great place to be. We did maximize our time. I suppose that if you only have three and a half days, the best thing to do is plan, plan, and plan. If I had to do it over again, I may have passed on the cruise and done 5 or 6 days in Paris and not rushed so much, and maybe spend some time in Amsterdam. But I did know that once we left, we'd be back. It's reason enough to begin a Baltics cruise in Amsterdam (3-hour train ride from Paris) as opposed to Copenhagen.

I know many end their cruises early in Le Havre on Thursday and spend a couple of days in Paris. The 2 days in Paris thread is great as people debate if Versailles fits in to two days. I thought 3.5 days in Paris was tough. Two days would come down to some hard choices. But two days and leaving the cruise early is two days in Paris and that's still a great thing.

• 1 month later...
WOW! I'm subscribing to this thread. Very valuable info. Thanks. Awesome job on the review :D

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I still can't believe we did all of that in three and a half days. But I wouldn't change a thing. We can't wait to get back. We're taking our teens on the Allure this Spring. But we'll get back to Paris in the summer of 2014, probably on a land/train vacation with other cities nearby.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I still can't believe we did all of that in three and a half days. But I wouldn't change a thing. We can't wait to get back. We're taking our teens on the Allure this Spring. But we'll get back to Paris in the summer of 2014, probably on a land/train vacation with other cities nearby.

This is excellent. I bookmarked lots of this on my tripadvisor account. We're not big museum people, so we'll probably do one museum for a couple of hours. I love those walking tours. They received great reviews online.

And your wine and cheese tasting sounds INCREDIBLE! The jazz club and dinner in Montmartre is RIGHT up our alley (along with a bit more lively nightlife) - we've just hit 30, so we like to let our hair down sometimes. :)

Also, we're doing Paris before our Baltics cruise and Amsterdam after the cruise. I pray there is some heat and sun. I would like some pool and tan during this trip, but I won't get my hopes up too high. Eek.

Edited by Millenia98

This is excellent. I bookmarked lots of this on my tripadvisor account. We're not big museum people, so we'll probably do one museum for a couple of hours. I love those walking tours. They received great reviews online.

Sight Seekers give great tours. You'll enjoy them.

As for museums, I would opt for the Orsay over the Louvre for many reasons. But if you get the 2-Day Museum Pass (which includes Versailles), what we did is a good option. That is to spend a solid couple of hours at the Orsay. The museum itself is an amazing structure, inside and out. You could also just go into the Denon wing of the Louvre for an hour and see the masterpieces (Mona Lisa, Victory, and Venus de Milo). The Mona Lisa is very small and it is tough to get close enough to it to appreciate it. The crowd scene is beyond belief.

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank You so much for your review! We are planning a first trip to Paris and you gave some great info that will be so helpful! I know now to wear good walking shoes and have good plans! Do you have any good London tips?

Happy this helps. Walking and Metro got us everywhere.

I am not the best for tips on London. I've been a couple of times and have never embraced it. But we'll go back down the road and we enjoy the theater there. The British Isles forums are great for information.

Thank you so much for your review. We just recently decided to go to Paris for 4 nights after our June 2013 Baltic cruise. It's encouraging to know you experienced so much in such little time. :)

Keys were good planning and hotel in central location near two Metro stations with four lines.

Edited by hubofhockey

Keys were good planning and hotel in central location near two Metro stations with four lines.

YES!! Super excellent summary and report. The above point on have a good, central location near a couple or more of the key Metro stations and lines is very vital. Too many people try to save money by going to a cheaper location and paying a major price by wasting their valuable time.

Below are a few more tips that might be of help to some in their future plans, plus a few of my visuals to help people get excited about this great and charming city with so much character, history and beauty.

WHAT MAKES PARIS GREAT/UNIQUE?: With style and sophistication, Paris is correctly proud of its cultural achievements over the centuries. This confidence is expressed in Parisian life, including its architecture from ancient structures to controversy over Hausmann's bold late 1800's master plan and more recent modern developments. Paris has taken bold decisions, including the Louvre with is now well-accepted glass pyramid by I. M. Pei.

Although at the heart of Europe, Paris is very individualistic and intuitive. The city has attracted great writers artists and thinkers. Historically, it has been a city of unrest, rebellion and revolution (an idea where they helped finance in America and that lead to the sharp-edged 1789 removal of the Royal family). Paris has a special style and soul. It is a high-flying mix of architecture, fashion, history, idiosyncrasy, style, texture, color and atmosphere. Paris is romantic, distinctive!

Le Marais Area, NE of Hotel de Ville/City Hall, has Musee Picasso (structure built in 1659, opened in 1985 to settle his estate, open Wednesday-Monday 9:15 5:15) and Musee Carnavalet (built in 1540, two adjoining mansions with decorative arts from the various periods in Paris history), older area starting around metro St Paul station, has Jewish section in area with special foods and historic areas. It has the super great park and architecture of the Place des Vogue area. The Place des Vosges was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the house fronts were all built to the same design, of red brick with strips of stone over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII placed in the center of this charming park. Nearby is Brasserie Bofinger, one of the oldest and classiest places to dine (http://www.bofingerparis.com). It has a gorgeous domed stained-glass ceiling over the main dining room.

Ile Saint Louis is one of the most charming little areas in all of Paris. So nice to stroll up its main street as you walk towards Notre Dame and other key highlights. Famed Berthillon ice cream: The only true Berthillon can be found at 31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile, where it was born. This delicious ice cream has rich colors and equally intense flavors. It comes in myriad flavors, but the rum raisin, dark chocolate (chocolat noir) and mango (mangue) flavors are incredible. This is divine dessert territory. Lots of Boutique shopping and dining places line this street in the heart of Paris. Try Brasserie Ile St-Louis, 55 quai de Bourbon, 1er (tel. 01/43/54-02-59), that Frommers calls the last independent brasserie in Paris. They note: “Far from the polished restaurants that masquerade as true brasseries, this one has as its heart old Paris.”

PARIS METRO/SUBWAY: Great, great system! Probably best to buy packets of ten tickets, rather than a multi-day, three or five day pass. There are fourteen different subway lines, plus the four different suburban RER rail options. It is important to know which line or lines you want to use, IN ADVANCE, and the name of the end station for your direction so that you go down the right set of stairs to be on the correct side of the tracks. It's not as simple as New York City with uptown or downtown! But it offers totally great, fast, frequent service. Very clean and nice! *Single tickets (1.60 Euros) may be purchased at the counters each time, but the better value is a carnet of 10 (11.40 Euros), which will also save you waiting in line. For all day use, for adults (there is a cheaper children’s daily pass), the pass cost in euros is for one day (8.80), two days (14.4), three days (19.6), or five days (28.3). Compared to London, the daily pass might not be the best value. It depends on your needs. WEBSITE for maps and other info/details: http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?langue=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 107,584 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On a nice Paris day, people are enjoying the Louvre courtyard, the Louvre's famed glass pyramid by architect IM Pei and in the background the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel built in 1805: :

LouvreGlaPryr.jpg

At the Sunday market near the Bastille, fresh seafood and much more!:

MarketSeafood.jpg

This portion of the famed 1860’s Opera House has recently been restored to its spectacular. Here is the reception hall where people go to see and be seen!:

OperaHsInt.jpg

At the Tuileries, there are gardens, cafes and places to sit, watch and enjoy near the Louvre:

TulGardensScul.jpg

In the Marais, this covered walkway is a part of the Place des Vosges that was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. These brick designs date to 1612.:

ParMaraisMusic.jpg

At the d’Orsay Museum in Paris, this was the grand dining room of the hotel that was part of the previous train station. Now, dining at lunch here breaks up the day during a long day of standing and walking:

ParDOrsDining.jpg

Terry, those are great photos (I know you get that comment often).

Our hotel was a typical 3-star boutique hotel. But it was in the second arrondissement of Paris and had excellent Trip Advisor reviews. The desk manager sat down with us each morning with Metro maps and advised us on the station to go to and the line to take and the transfer to make. It really contributed so much to our vacation. I actually provided the young lady (Aurelie, and her name is on several of the Trip Advisor reviews) with a substantial gratuity when we left. I don't think we could have seen what we did without a good plan, the skip the lines tour of the Eiffel Tower, the great walking tours, as well as the convenience and service of that hotel.

We did run around a lot. We hit all of the basics and had a great time. It only wants us to go back and really experience more of the city. We will go to the Rodin Museum and Luxembourg gardens. But we'll also just soak it all in and go to a jazz club in the Latin Quarter, a Brasserie like the one you suggested, spend more time in the Marais, and even eat dinner one night in Montmartre. I think our plan for seeing the basics in three to four days works well for people wanting to spend time before or after their cruise. But if we were to stay for a week, there is no way I could keep up with that pace. After we got off the Eurostar, we took a cab and barely had time for dinner and then saw Billy Elliott. To be honest, I was pretty fried by the time we got to the ship on Sunday. This would have been even tougher AFTER a cruise.

I will be well planned. We are still considering hotels. We are a family of 5 so our options are limited. We are also considering short term Apt. rentals. One hotel we are considering because of their location and that they have a family room that accommodates 5 is the Hotel des Comedies. http://www.hoteldescomedies.com/

Its close to a number of metro stations.

I will be well planned. We are still considering hotels. We are a family of 5 so our options are limited. We are also considering short term Apt. rentals. One hotel we are considering because of their location and that they have a family room that accommodates 5 is the Hotel des Comedies. http://www.hoteldescomedies.com/

Its close to a number of metro stations.

10th arrondissement near Metro stations sounds pretty good. That hotel is actually a new hotel owned and run by the same people who own the hotel we stayed at. These people know what they're doing.

Terry, those are great photos (I know you get that comment often).

Appreciate your kind viewpoint on my pictures. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments. It's always nice to get positive feed-back and know what is helpful to folks for their future planning.

The picture postings have been great fun in sharing. As others have mentioned, the visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" incorporates the idea that a complex messages can be conveyed with just a single or a few still images.

Let me know if anyone needs any others on Paris. Have been there four times going back to being a student in college in 1970 and first seeing Paris. Great city!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 84,659 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sight Seekers give great tours. You'll enjoy them.

As for museums, I would opt for the Orsay over the Louvre for many reasons. But if you get the 2-Day Museum Pass (which includes Versailles), what we did is a good option. That is to spend a solid couple of hours at the Orsay. The museum itself is an amazing structure, inside and out. You could also just go into the Denon wing of the Louvre for an hour and see the masterpieces (Mona Lisa, Victory, and Venus de Milo). The Mona Lisa is very small and it is tough to get close enough to it to appreciate it. The crowd scene is beyond belief.

Enjoy.

We did an evening tour of the Louvre, we had the place practically to ourselves! Booked the tickets online.http://www.city-discovery.com/paris/tour.php?id=2923

Thanks to everyone for the great information and awesome pictures.

My husband and I, will be in Paris, Nov. 20th thru Fri the 24th, post cruise. We are getting our ideas together, as to, how we want to plan our days. What kind of itinerary would you plan, for us? We aren't artisy people, but would still like to see some museums, when we are there. Is the Eiffel Tower Light Show, very good? What's the average temp, at that time of the year? I'm thinking cold and damp, mid 40's for daytime? We are from Arizona, so to us, that will be very cold. Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Colleen:)

Thanks to everyone for the great information and awesome pictures.

My husband and I, will be in Paris, Nov. 20th thru Fri the 24th, post cruise. We are getting our ideas together, as to, how we want to plan our days. What kind of itinerary would you plan, for us? We aren't artisy people, but would still like to see some museums, when we are there. Is the Eiffel Tower Light Show, very good? What's the average temp, at that time of the year? I'm thinking cold and damp, mid 40's for daytime? We are from Arizona, so to us, that will be very cold. Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You should grab a Rick Steves Paris guide and find sites and places that interest you. My itinerary is in the original post and we enjoyed all of it, especially the walking tours. If you don't like impressionist art, avoid the Orsay and Orangerie. Versailles is great no matter when you go. But you would spend less time in the gardens there. Have a great time.

The following link can help you with November weather.

http://goparis.about.com/od/events/a/ParisNovember.htm

Thanks for the great information. I do like your itinerary, you planned for your trip.

I will be contacting sightseekersdelight this weekend.

I can't believe ,it's almost time to leave for our trip. The time has gone by so fast.

Thanks again for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to post all of the details of your trip to Paris. This is exactly what we are planning for January 2014 when we plan to spend 3 or 4 days in Paris before taking the train to Rotterdam to board the Getaway. You have provided so many ideas on what we can do.