Recommendations for Cultural Things to see in Roatan

crunchymidwife

My husband and I are going to Roatan in July and looking for suggestions for things to see that are more culturally relevant and getting to see the real island. We aren't interested in the standard tours or tourist attractions. Any idea? Thanks!

I'd suggest contacting Rony's Tours

http://www.ronystours.com/

He does a lot of things that are not "standard" fare. Of course, depending upon the day of the week and time of year you are in Roatan, certain events or places may or may not be open. But Rony can help steer you in the right direction toward "cultural" or "historic" sites. But bear in mind Roatan is NOT a booming metropolis that was settled by Europeans hell-bent on reconstructing the European way of life. Neither was it ever populated, and doubtfully ever visited by, any advanced Mayan or other pre-Columbia civilization although there are some possible relationships, primarily to the Honduran Pech. The "natives" were essentially wiped out by Eurpoean diseases and slave trade. The inhabitants of Roatan primarily descend today from the mix of pirates, traders, and what's known as Black Caribs, mixes of Eastern Caribbean Awarak and African maroons. In addition to tourism, fishing is the primary economic activity. You will find ersatz Mayan structures and some "native" replication at various places around the island.

Check out : Glory.. 4/25/15 If you write a review.... By cmcsharon

( Sorry I tried to copy/paste with no success). It's an ongoing review but has lots of Roatan information. Her tour guide was Daniel Johnson.

CHECK IT OUT. you will not be disappointed.

My husband and I are going to Roatan in July and looking for suggestions for things to see that are more culturally relevant and getting to see the real island. We aren't interested in the standard tours or tourist attractions. Any idea? Thanks!

We just used Garcia Adventures last Friday. Since I've been to Roatan about a dozen times while cruising, and it was our 2nd week staying on the island, I simply explained what we were familiar with already and asked to explore the East side of the isle.

Our guide Ovenia lives in Oak Ridge where the mangrove boat tunnels are, and Olen our driver was familiar with the Garifuna area in Punta Gorda. Explain to them what cultural things you are interested in and they will individualize a tour for you. It was $80 total for both of us on an all day tour in a nice clean AC van.

Edited by evandbob

Check out : Glory.. 4/25/15 If you write a review.... By cmcsharon

( Sorry I tried to copy/paste with no success). It's an ongoing review but has lots of Roatan information. Her tour guide was Daniel Johnson.

CHECK IT OUT. you will not be disappointed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2206471

Here's the link. look on page 6 (currently the last page)