Marriott Sydney Harbour or Pullman Hyde Park

We are currently booked in the Pullman at Hyde Park (was a Marriott), but I have been reading too many negative reports on Trip Advisor. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but they won't be complete until sometime next year.

Has anyone recently stayed at the Marriott Sydney Harbour, if so what was it like?

We are currently booked in the Pullman at Hyde Park (was a Marriott), but I have been reading too many negative reports on Trip Advisor. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but they won't be complete until sometime next year.

Has anyone recently stayed at the Marriott Sydney Harbour, if so what was it like?

Nothing wrong with the Marriott Sydney Harbour. Very close to Circular Quay and a not too long walk straight up Pitt St to Pitt St Mall.

Marriott Hyde Park is the one that is a bit dated. Opposite end of town near Oxford St. I would probably go across to the Sheraton on the Park if i was to stay up town.

Our TA gave me the name of Sydney Boulevard Hotel on Williams over by Kings Cross, any recommendation or opinions. I understand it used to be the Sydney Bayview. We will be traveling for the first time to Sydney during March 19 of 2014 for a 13 day NZ cruise. Ports, Sydney embarkation, the 3 sounds, Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga, Auckland & Bay of Islands.

Our TA gave me the name of Sydney Boulevard Hotel on Williams over by Kings Cross, any recommendation or opinions. I understand it used to be the Sydney Bayview.

As a Sydneysider I wouldn't consider staying there. It's on a very busy road and I wouldn't like to be wandering around there on my own at night (although that could be just me). I do know that when I used to book a lot of travel for my company we had a policy of not putting staff in that location.

Down near Circular Quay, the Rocks area or near Darling Harbour would be much better options.

We stayed in Sydney for a week following a cruise last December. We booked the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay, and would stay there again with no qualms. The room was large and well furnished. The staff was wonderful and the location perfect for what we wanted to do in Sydney. Since we are from the United States (A great number of non-North Americans seem to be under the impression that Alaska is part of Canada.) we wanted to stay in an Australian hotel chain.

As a Sydneysider I wouldn't consider staying there. It's on a very busy road and I wouldn't like to be wandering around there on my own at night (although that could be just me). I do know that when I used to book a lot of travel for my company we had a policy of not putting staff in that location.

Down near Circular Quay, the Rocks area or near Darling Harbour would be much better options.

I totally agree with Bescotti. It may be a lovely hotel (don't know as I've never stayed there) but location is EVERYTHING in my opinion and I don't consider the Boulevard to be in a convenient, pretty or (as stated previously) a particularly safe area at night.

If you want a hotel in a good location...I'm staying at the Rendevouz The Rocks hotel....literally 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal. In the middle of the historic Rocks district and not far from the Opera House and Circular Quay station ( which you can get to from the airport station).

Gets good reviews in Tripadvisor and I've got good pricing there. Many of the rooms also have mini kitchenettes that allow you to save a lot of money and prepare some things/snacks/breakfast yourself.

http://www.rendezvoushotels.com/sydneytherocks/default-en.html

I have responded to Desert Cruizers question directly on their roll call and have made some recommendations already. Agree with all previous posts about Boulevarde. Rendevouz is also good but not sure if in the budget.

Desert Cruizer has a rather unique situation in that they will be based in Sydney for 9 days between cruises and is searching out suitable hotels that are not too pricey (<$200pd), will give group rates, accom for 3 in a room and has laundry fac. Location needs to be handy to transport. Desert cruizer expects to do day tours out of Sydney most days - a big ask.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying in Sydney for a few days in March 2013 and I booked at these apartments. Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, Sydney. The location I wanted and pretty self contained including washer and dryer.

Just prior to cruise in April 2013 we will be staying at the Marriott Circular Quay for a few days.

We are staying in Sydney for a few days in March 2013 and I booked at these apartments. Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, Sydney. The location I wanted and pretty self contained including washer and dryer.

Just prior to cruise in April 2013 we will be staying at the Marriott Circular Quay for a few days.

G'day again

Good choice. Meriton is very close to china town and accross the road is the Capitol Theatre. Think they have the stage show The Adams Family on in March.

we stayed at this small hotel last month. rooms were clean and just fine. nice cheap breakfast available in the morning. walked past chinatown to nautical museum and then took ferry to manly.

other than the taxi drivers being a bit confused on how to get there...I would recommend it and it was a bargain

other than the taxi drivers being a bit confused on how to get there...I would recommend it and it was a bargain

Just tell the cab driver it is opposite the Capitol Theatre. Campbell st is a one way street from Pitt st to George St. Be careful getting out of cabs - get out on the kerb side (sidewalk).

Hi, We stayed in the Marriott in 2011. Very nice hotel and happy to recommend however for similar money prefer the Four Seasons - also in Circular Quay area. Preferred the Four Seasons for room size, service and general decor but both are a great option. Love Circular Quay/Rocks as a location - so much to see and do and easily accessible to everywhere by tube.

We returned from a one-month land vacation which included a three-night stay at the Marriott and we LOVED it! The location is terrific for walking. The hop-on hop-off bus was one block away, Circular Quay was one block away, a 24-hour McDonald's was one block away (for late night coffee) and the best was a little tapas bar across the alley that was fantastic. There are three banks on the same block for ATM use which was very convenient. We also loved walking to the Opera House. It was perfect for all boat excursions. We took a ferry to Manly from the Circular Quay for the day and had a great time.

Although a little pricey, we felt that for the money we saved in car rental or taxis, it was worth it.

Good luck making your choice!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Marriott within walking distance of the cruise terminal? We're hoping to head there after disembarking and check our luggage for a few hours before heading to the airport for a late afternoon flight. Does that sound reasonable with a suitcase and carry-on each? Thanks.

Is the Marriott within walking distance of the cruise terminal? We're hoping to head there after disembarking and check our luggage for a few hours before heading to the airport for a late afternoon flight. Does that sound reasonable with a suitcase and carry-on each? Thanks.

The Marriott is very close to the cruise terminal. If you are a good walker and used to carrying your own luggage, you should have no trouble. :)

We have just had 2 nights at The Marriott, nice hotel. We arrived at 4pm, took a taxi from the airport, only $43. Our room wasn't ready, which was disappointing for that time of the day. They gave us a complimentary drink whilst we waited.

Had a package with breakfast, was okay. Been to better, been to worse. Thought the variety for a 5 star hotel was a bit lacking. Still very nice. They have a omelette chef.

We had beautiful views of the Opera House.

The hotel is in a good spot and very convenient to the rocks and circular quay. And close to bus stops. We caught a bus to Bondi Beach, only 5 min walk from hotel to bus stop.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Four Seasons about 3 weeks ago and loved it there. It too is in a great location, within easy walking of everything.

We hired a car from Avis which was around the corner at the Marriott, again in a very convenient location. We have also stayed at the Shangri la, Sherton on the Park which we love, and the Sir Stamford which was originally the Ritz Carlton. All are good hotels with 5 star service.

Jennie

We hired a car from Avis which was around the corner at the Marriott, again in a very convenient location.

Jennie

Hi Jennie

We are hiring an Avis car when we get off the Solstice in Sydney on 4th March. The office is listed as 30 Pitt St, which is the Marriott. Is the Avis desk inside the Marriott foyer, or is it hidden away somewhere. I am sure I could find it, but I do like to be mentally prepared for these things.

cheers

Flipper133,

The Avis office is located on the left side as you walk up the driveway to the Marriott foyer. It is just on the kerbway beside the front entrance and it is actually a hole in the wall!

We were very happy with their service and we were upgraded to a larger car which had only done 3000km.

Jennie

Archived