Caribbean in August

scooton

Yes it is hurricane season. We booked one cruise awhile back to the Eastern Caribbean and it turned hard starboard into a Western Caribbean after we were a day from Port Everglades. No problem! The good news is that most modern cruiselines do not like to lose ships, as they represent both an investment and a hypothesis of future earnings. So if a Captain looks at his weather reports and his multiple radar and weather systems, and calls the cruiseline's CEO, and decides that you might better enjoy a week or two on the round trip to Cozumel, for example, rather than to Puerto Rico, for example, you may find yourself speaking Spanish in a different location for a day.

If the ship happens to sink in a hurricane, however, and you are drowned or otherwise inconveniently die as a result of hurricane mishap, rest assured that any of your luggage that may eventually be recovered will be returned free of charge to your heirs or assigns.

While hurricanes can be very large and annoying, they do bring the price of verandah suites down impressively for a few weeks. :D:rolleyes: I have found that modern cruise ships with thrusters and stabilizers and very powerful and relatively fast engines generally have no problem dealing with a somewhat unruly sea. However, sometimes there appear to be great holes in the water for some distance on each side of the ship; it is best on these occasions to change your seat at the bar so as to have a view toward the interior of the ship--and don't mention your observation to a bar or cocktail steward, as I have known them to get sick just from glancing up at an awkward moment . . . .

Obviously with August being Hurricane Season

is it a very bad time to cruise the Caribbean?? ===> there are worse times.. September!

The statistical peak of Hurricane Season for the Atlantic

is September 9th./10th.

Suggest you peruse the chart below and consider the odds.

It's all about Luck

and what the SEA TEMPERATURES are like for the Northern Atlantic

at the time!

Suggest you bookmark website..

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html

since I have found this chart useful

to gauge the 'fuel' hurricanes need

to intensify and sustain themselves.

peakofseason.jpg.a1e792b130ad04d6497623b5a4059544.jpg

driftwood ~ You have the right attitude for those latitudes during the month of August!

scooton ~ I'd go for it and have fun! Make the best of what you get. Most of my vacations for the last 17 years have been tropical and in August and only once do I remember weather being a major concern during a trip - a tropical storm in Mexico - but it was a land vacation, not a cruise. At least on a cruise they can move you around to avoid the storm.

aplmac ~ handy chart-Thanks!

One thing to think about cruising during hurricane season is getting vacation insurance. Although I know some who always do this, I see an even better reason during hurricane season, since there is a higher chance of your intinerary changing when there are storms. The same thing can be true of sailing out of the northeast in the Winter.

Either fly Southwest where changing plans is easy and not super expensive, or make sure you have good travel insurance that will cover your changes.

• 1 month later...
Obviously with August being hurrican season is it a very bad time to cruise the caribbean??

We have booked at the end of Aug. Most ships can skirt the hurricane. If you are sent on a particlur port NO cause the itinary can change but you still cruise safe.

Bob

Archived