Costa Concordia sinks (link)

BlueRiband

Many passengers fail to go to the Muster, yes it is a "bind" when you have done a few cruises, to listen to the "same old thing"

I know that this dreadful event will cause me not to sigh when I go to the muster in Feb on the QV.

Could the rumour that the Concordia did not hold the muster be true , or is that just sensationalism?

I hope that Carnival house, does state the facts, and not just put the usual "spin doctors " in charge.

Could the rumour that the Concordia did not hold the muster be true , or is that just sensationalism?

The ship is operating a circular itinerary, with most passengers embarking and disembarking in Savona - and they had their drill 6 days ago. Some passengers boarded yesterday in Civitavecchia and they would have had their muster drill tomorrow with the newly boarded Savona passengers, within 24 hours of sailing, as required by law.

Hi Barry. Thanks for the link. Interesting that they are reporting 8 dead at this time. The translation makes some of the narrative a bit hard to follow but, as a retired ship master, the attached charts with tracking overlay are very clear. I would have to say "operator error" took them into the very dicey waters between the two big rocky outcrops. Unless some loss of steering error is proved, the first rule of electronic navigation is NEVER trust one source of information. Verify your GPS position with the radar, etc. Very sad that this apparent error has resulted in loss of life.

Jim

Here is a link to the latest AIS track

To me , that track tells a different story to the linked report in my last post.

Reports are that there was a "bang" and loss of electrical power - so the Captain headed for shallower water. These tracks would confirm that to me. Bit mystified though by the difference in location between the final AIS track point and the final demise location of the ship

EDIT -- you can ZOOM that track map in for a better picture.

Barry

However it is noticeable is that the regular AIS reports (when further out to sea) are replaced by a long time gap between the final report and the pentulimate one . Who knows where the ship was between those two final reports???

Interesting difference of tracks. The first site shows much more detail and yes, the ship is obviously not heading back to sea but is virtually ashore on the island. Very curious. I am amazed that, with all the extensive compartmentalization of modern ships, that the list developed so rapidly. Very scary stuff. Heading off to Queen Victoria on Thursday.

An interesting discussion here -- including a video of another Costa ship doing a "show off" close-in night time pass of Giglio Island , ostensibly for the benefit of islanders.

Video here http://video.corriere.it/nave-concordia-al-giglio-/9dfa5ea6-3e9b-11e1-8b52-5f77182bc574

Barry

Fascinating video Barry. Looks like this has been a case of over confidence because they had pulled the same stunt before. Only this time, they cut it too fine and hit something.

J

I always attend the muster no matter which ship I am on, BUT I will admit that in the past I have sighed , wished I had the nerve not to go, and listened with only half my mind on that being said.

In future I will be far more attentive, and never think of not attending in.

That is the lesson we should all learn from this terrible event and the discussion here.

Rather than making weak jokes and trying to score points off each other, some posters on this thread would be better off not posting.

My thoughts are with people and the familes of those who have not survived this incident of whom there seems to have been little comment.

Phileas

We are on QV at the moment, and the captain just made an announcement about the Costa ship. He also reassured us that the officers and crew on QV were well trained in emergencies. He then went on to say that the weather is deteriorating and we can expect a stormy night tonight.................

Captain now charged with manslaugter, abandoning ship before many passengers. Crew were not properly trained for emergency and also rushed off ship before many passengers. French couple say there was no lifeboat drill when they boarded in France.

Interesting difference of tracks. The first site shows much more detail and yes, the ship is obviously not heading back to sea but is virtually ashore on the island. Very curious. I am amazed that, with all the extensive compartmentalization of modern ships, that the list developed so rapidly. Very scary stuff. Heading off to Queen Victoria on Thursday.

I frequent that site often and the underlay map often is quite off , sometimes showing the ship in port, "in" the land. If you study it, the course is actually the same in both sites and both do not show the final turn which had to have happened.

The AIS track is obviously missing a number or reporting points - the first 4-5 points are 2-3 minutes apart , but then at the end there is a 15 minute gap in reports. Thus AIS does not show us where the ship was during that missing 15 minutes. The Turkish newspaper report claims that the ship went between those rocks just to the south of the town. I don't know what info they have to support that - but if it is true, that would be mind blowingly incredible!!! The gap between those rocks is only about 60 metres -- http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ll=42.355539,10.92777&spn=0.006636,0.009645&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6 I simply can't believe that any cruiseship would try to go through there!!

Barry

Archived