Balcony Guarantee Lower Price Than Inside and I Am Confused

Dave4120

Hello Everyone... we've cruised many times, and, have chosen many different cabin categories, however, never a Balcony guarantee.

At the moment, we're booked in a Larger Inside Stateroom on The Anthem, but all of a sudden Balcony Guarantee Cabins are listed and, are $120 lower than what we paid for our Inside.

We have never been on The Anthem, and from all the posts I've seen, we could end up with an obstructed view balcony cabin too.

Based on all of your experiences, what are your thoughts as to whether you would book the balcony guarantee for $120 less than our inside cabin even if an obstructed view is possible, or, would you keep the larger inside cabin?

Thank-you very much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would go to the balcony without hesitations, just find what balcony are already open for booking and see if they have obstructed view or not, chances are one of those will be yours but again you are booking guarantee and you might end up in a room that you dont like. I will be so frustrated knowing that a balcony is cheaper than what I actually have but i didnt make the jump to the balcony even if its at the end or the front of the ship.

Based on all of your experiences, what are your thoughts as to whether you would book the balcony guarantee for $120 less than our inside cabin even if an obstructed view is possible, or, would you keep the larger inside cabin

How much view do you have in a inside cabin?

I honestly think that the only risk of changing your cabin would be the small possibility of developing the dreaded "balcony addiction". Other than that, if you sail based on price, take the cheaper cabin! Even an obstructed view balc is fun. I would still enjoy just smelling the sea air and such.

The only issue you raise is that your inside cabin might be bigger - and I don't know how much you value those few extra feet. But, even if you're bumping into each other a bit, I would still recommend the balcony - just to mix things up a bit!

Not to poo poo and I'm sure a balcony is different, but I once booked an outside guarantee and will never do so again. We were far forward and our bed ended practically in the hall way. One of us had to change in the bathroom and one of us had to change in the "room". When the inside cabin across the hall opened their door their room was literally three times the size of ours.

But I would still save the money in your case and opt for the balcony. Probably wouldn't be as small as our outside one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Meh' - I could go either way on this one. It's cheaper, so that's a good reason to switch, but it's not really that significant of a savings to give up a room location that you know you like.

I don't love the idea of not knowing where my cabin will be mostly because I get sea sick and I don't like being too high on the ship, or too far forward or aft.

It wouldn't matter about the view, especially if you don't mind being in an inside to begin with and the new cabin is cheaper. I don't know, if it gives you no anxiety to give up a hand picked room and a hand picked location, then go for it, but if you feel some hesitation about that, stay put.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At the moment, we're booked in a Larger Inside Stateroom on The Anthem, but all of a sudden Balcony Guarantee Cabins are listed and, are $120 lower than what we paid for our Inside.

Even the large inside is smaller than any D balcony, so there's that. Plus when GTYs are offered that typically means the sailing is not selling that well and there's plenty of cabins. This usually means that after assignment, you will likely be able to move to another cabin (within the same category) if you don't like your assignment. And the GTY is cheaper. No brainier, go for the GTY booking.

Yes, there's a good chance you'll get an obstructed view balcony. Search the forums, plenty of info and pics on those already. IMO an obstructed balcony beats an inside every day. Larger stateroom plus fresh air for less money? Book it quick before that price disappears!

Edited by MikeBTN

We booked a gaurentee balcony a few weeks ago for a 5 N in May. Being this was a shorter trip we wanted to take our chance . I was afraid we would get an obstructed balcony. We were given a cabin assignment as soon as we paid the deposit . I was surprised it was there so quickly . I

We were assigned a D8 on deck 6 all the way forward (no obstruction ) . Someone then told me that we can call and have them give us a different cabin as long as it's within he same catagory . So we moved up to the 8th floor between forward and midship very close to an elevator .

Hope this helps

A quick question that has not been answered. What is the relative size of the two rooms inside? If the inside is the same size as the balcony cabin, I would go for the Balcony any day of the week. OTOH if the balcony is significantly smaller (more than 25 Sq Ft), then I would figure out which is more important to me.

Who cares if it is obstructed? You will still see something, and the sounds will be there.

Personally I dislike inside cabins. I am on a cruise. I want to see and hear and smell the ocean.

Edited by reedl

A quick question that has not been answered. What is the relative size of the two rooms inside? If the inside is the same size as the balcony cabin, I would go for the Balcony any day of the week. OTOH if the balcony is significantly smaller (more than 25 Sq Ft), then I would figure out which is more important to me.

Who cares if it is obstructed? You will still see something, and the sounds will be there.

Personally I dislike inside cabins. I am on a cruise. I want to see and hear and smell the ocean.

According to the RCCL's website info:

Large Interior - 166-178 sq ft

Obstructed Balcony - 198 sq ft + 55 sq ft balcony

Deluxe Ocean View w Balcony - 177 sq ft + 82 sq ft balcony

Superior Ocean View w Balcony - 198 sq ft + 65 sq ft balcony

Superior Ocean View w Smaller Balcony - 198 sq ft + 55 sq ft balcony

According to the RCCL's website info:

Large Interior - 166-178 sq ft

Obstructed Balcony - 198 sq ft + 55 sq ft balcony

Deluxe Ocean View w Balcony - 177 sq ft + 82 sq ft balcony

Superior Ocean View w Balcony - 198 sq ft + 65 sq ft balcony

Superior Ocean View w Smaller Balcony - 198 sq ft + 55 sq ft balcony

:confused: I thought all D balconies on Quantum class were 198 sq ft. What category is that?

:confused: I thought all D balconies on Quantum class were 198 sq ft. What category is that?

That's an "E" category. Only on decks 6 & 7 according to the deck plans. Mid-ship, so probably more expensive than a D7 or D8, but cheaper than a D1. But since its a GTY balcony, E-category would be a potential assignment.

Edited by MikeBTN

Confused ?

Why do posters leave out the Ship & Sailing date when it could help others ???

Because then people will know when they are out of town. 😱

And they don't share cabin numbers because they are afraid of being stalked onboard. 😱

Welcome to the scary side of social media.

3c938fcbc5280c903f6c3b3b190cde32.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks to everyone so far. We have 3 cruises planned for 2017. The cruise that my post pertains too is a 7-night on The Anthem to the Bahamas leaving out if Cape Liberty on October 21st, 2017.

So, there is so much time I'm sure for things to change from a RCCL perspective if we chose the Balcony guarantee?

Hello Everyone... we've cruised many times, and, have chosen many different cabin categories, however, never a Balcony guarantee.

We have never been on The Anthem, and from all the posts I've seen, we could end up with an obstructed view balcony cabin too.

Based on all of your experiences, what are your thoughts as to whether you would book the balcony guarantee for $120 less than our inside cabin even if an obstructed view is possible, or, would you keep the larger inside cabin?

Thank-you very much.

I had a balcony cabin on Anthem this past January and will again have a balcony cabin in January 2017. Be aware should you use room service on an Anthem balcony, there is a la carte pricing for the food.:mad: