Nutrition Info?

sassy~one

I have never seen where you could determine calories, fat, sugar etc grams for any HAL food.

I have both of Rudi Sodamin's cookbooks and neither has nutrition information.

Please don't hit me!

:confused: Why would you think anyone would Hit You?

Everyone is probably scared to know what the nutritional values actually are;)

No, really, unless you are a completely strict vegan or something like that. Try asking a waitperson for lowfat milk for your coffee in the morning. They will look at you like you are from Mars. I promise.:) Then you will wait till they scrounge around trying to find it.

Now that some restaurants are posting their "nutritional value" doesn't some of the fun go out of it?:eek:

No, really, unless you are a completely strict vegan or something like that. Try asking a waitperson for lowfat milk for your coffee in the morning. They will look at you like you are from Mars. I promise.:) Then you will wait till they scrounge around trying to find it.

Now that some restaurants are posting their "nutritional value" doesn't some of the fun go out of it?:eek:

Have you ever had a HAL steward look at you like you are from Mars? Seriously, I cannot understand you saying that. There are lots of people on HAL ships who want low-fat milk, margarine, gluten-free, no bacon, etc. The stewards are professionals and treat each request with courtesy. And for some people, "fun" has nothing to do with it -- strict control of their diet is a life-saving measure.

To the OP -- I'd try calling Special Services to see if they can help. However, the menus vary by ship, season, itinerary.

I wish ships could provide two menu options:

1) Menu with nutritional information for each dish for those of us who want to know

2) Menu with no nutritional information for those who live dangerously

I am sure it would be initially a big undertaking but since items and menus tend to stay the same for quite some time it would "last a while". I think this option would make everyone happy.

And more low-fat salad dressings... PLEASE! :D

I wish ships could provide two menu options:

1) Menu with nutritional information for each dish for those of us who want to know

2) Menu with no nutritional information for those who live dangerously

I am sure it would be initially a big undertaking but since items and menus tend to stay the same for quite some time it would "last a while". I think this option would make everyone happy.

And more low-fat salad dressings... PLEASE! :D

I know that NCL has "heart healthy" options so indicated on their menus. I don't think this really should be hard. If McDonalds is now required to offer nutritional information, why not HAL? It could be done like McD's...you have to really look for it, or ask for a print-out. So if you really DON'T want to know, you don't HAVE to! :)

I’m not sure what your concern is. The “spa menu” on the diner menu in the dining room has some nutritional info – calories, fat, carbs, etc. If there is a specific food item your are allergic to or religious restrictions contact special services well in advance of your departure date and they can make special arrangements to have special food brought on board. There may be an additional charge for this.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

One of the reasons that the food is so delicious on HAL is that the chefs do not hold back on the three basic food groups: fat, sugar, and salt. In the main dining room, it is possible to select the "spa" selection or make your own spa menu. Grilled salmon, baked chicken breast, baked potato and steamed vegetables are always available at dinner. So is a salad without dressing. On my next cruise, I am going to request (well in advance) a salt-free menu. The food is not salty per se, just well-seasoned, which in my case, is just too much salt.

One of the reasons that the food is so delicious on HAL is that the chefs do not hold back on the three basic food groups: fat, sugar, and salt. In the main dining room, it is possible to select the "spa" selection or make your own spa menu. Grilled salmon, baked chicken breast, baked potato and steamed vegetables are always available at dinner. So is a salad without dressing. On my next cruise, I am going to request (well in advance) a salt-free menu. The food is not salty per se, just well-seasoned, which in my case, is just too much salt.

:D Now is just as good a time as any to again make my plea for:

WHOLE WHEAT PASTA

BAKED SWEET POTATOES

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD/ROLLS

I'm still trying; still hopeful that one day I will be pleasantly surprised. :)

(Baked white potatoes really not a good choice. Sweet potato is very much better. Same for white bread, white rice and white pasta etc)

Have you ever had a HAL steward look at you like you are from Mars? Seriously, I cannot understand you saying that. There are lots of people on HAL ships who want low-fat milk, margarine, gluten-free, no bacon, etc. The stewards are professionals and treat each request with courtesy. And for some people, "fun" has nothing to do with it -- strict control of their diet is a life-saving measure.

To the OP -- I'd try calling Special Services to see if they can help. However, the menus vary by ship, season, itinerary.

Uh, yeah, were you there? Of course they are professionals but if you weren't there, why would you assume I was making it all up? I don't do that to you.

Judy, I just read the other day , think it was on karen queen's blog, that the ship had whole wheat pasta for lunch. Will someone help me out here. Maybe it was on a thread about the Zuiderdam. Yup, I think that's where it was.The poster said you would be happy to know about it and she posted the menu. Now I have to go try to find it.

What good news. I haven't read that thread yet. Now I surely will. :)

See.... wait long enough and wishes do come true. Thank you, HAL. That's a big deal to me and I'm happy about it. :)

Hope we have whole wheat pasta on our upcoming Westerdam cruise.

I notices you mention NUTS.

If you have serious allergies or food reactions or require a special diet have your TA contact HAL in advance of your requirements or set up a meet with the Chief Chief when you get on the ship.

Ruth & Jim

My recent experience (Volendam, may 2009) with taking a granddaughter who has very complex food issues taught me that it is best to be VERY SPECIFIC with questions or requests. That worked better than working in generalities.

We did better working out requests from among their normal choices than trying to get them to make things in a special way for her. We learned to request no, sauce, no dressing, no stuffing, no...whatever. They tried very hard to meet our needs and she really had no problems. I was impressed but it did take us a day or two to work it out.

Best of luck to you. If you have specific questions I'll try to address them.

:D Now is just as good a time as any to again make my plea for:

WHOLE WHEAT PASTA

BAKED SWEET POTATOES

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD/ROLLS

I'm still trying; still hopeful that one day I will be pleasantly surprised. :)

(Baked white potatoes really not a good choice. Sweet potato is very much better. Same for white bread, white rice and white pasta etc)

Got two more here for that menu with whole Grains

Sweet Potato and Whole Wheat Pasta.

Bye the way have you seen the new Whole Grain Pasta that is still white in the states.

Was just introduced in Canada thinks it's Catelli

:)

Thank You everyone, i did contact HAL, and they called Rudy and there are no breakdowns of the values in His recipies. Thank You again, debbie

If you have the recipe, you can calculate the nutritional values from a website that uses standards. Very helpful and handy in general, but not too useful on the ship. The address is: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Sometimes you may have communication issues with the servers. One night our table mate was a vegetarian. When they brought her soup, she told the server it looked like it had chicken in it and she couldn't eat it because she didn't do meat. The server took it away and in a few minutes brought it back and announced "no meat, it's pork". I have to admit I started giggling. He kept saying no meat. you can eat it. She finally sent it back and got a salad. So it might be communication breakdown.

Got two more here for that menu with whole Grains

Sweet Potato and Whole Wheat Pasta.

Bye the way have you seen the new Whole Grain Pasta that is still white in the states.

Was just introduced in Canada thinks it's Catelli

:)

I've seen the whole grain pasta, soy pasta and spinach and many other forms. Much healthier alternatives to white.

I'm delighted to hear there is some amount of whole wheat pasta offered but waiting to hear from Donna (or anyone) if it's only a once a cruise type offering on the menu or is an 'always available' alternative in Lido or the dining room.

Archived