villefranche to eze at end of oct...

amanda blake

I have noticed that from villefranche to nice is 4km and from nice to eze is 8 km...the ship wants almost 60 dollars to take to nice and eze....it is such a short distance..must be easy to just do on your own...

has anyone done it and has info about buses or trains ...this being at end of oct the regular buses may no longer be running....

any advice is appreciated...

thank you....

This has been discussed many times here before and I too am interested in doing Nice and Eze on our own. I have read that it is really very simple. The search has been down so I cannot research it at this time.:mad: If anyone can help with instructions or a link for doing it without a tour I would love to read about it.

We will be cruising the end of October too - are you on the Voyager? If so, what week?

we are on the summit...leaving from venice oct 18...will be in villefranche on oct 30th...

would have wanted to take a train into Nice...spend an hour...take another train to Eze..do another hour...

seems that Nice is only 4km from villefranche...that is like a 15 minute ride on the train..but not sure if you can only reach Eze by bus or by train also...

hoping someone here has some info for us...

amanda - found this on the rick steve's website. Hope it helps:

"You're right, it does take some effort. I did it two weeks ago. I took bus 100 from Nice bus station to Eze-Bord-de-Mer (NOT where you want to go). From there, bus 83 takes you up the cliff (I mean cliff) to Eze-le-Village (your destination). Plan on a wait for the bus unless you hit it just right. An alternative is to take the train from Nice to Eze-Bord-de-Mer, then bus 83 as above. A 3rd way, and maybe the best but I didn't know it at the time, is: bus 82 or 114 goes directly from Nice to Eze-le-Village, so I'm told (verify at Nice bus station). A 4th way: get to Eze-Bord-de-Mer by one of above methods, go to bus stop and check when next bus 83 is, if you don't want to wait that long, near bus stop I saw a sign with phone # for local taxi service; heard a rumor up on top that someone did this and it cost €25 - €30 one way, good if you could share the ride. For Olympic athletes, there's even a trail up the cliff from the lower Eze to Eze-le-Village, called, I think, the Nietzsche Trail(!)--this is a brutal hike with large elevation gain, we didn't see any takers. MOST IMPORTANT: Watch "To Catch a Thief" before you go, it was filmed partly in Eze, starring Princess Grace when she was just a Hollywood actress and obviously before she was killed on the Corniche highway not far from Eze. Note: I suppose you could book a tour that would get you there with less trouble, for a price of course."

amanda - found this on the rick steve's website. Hope it helps:

Just a few comments re the above...

If you take bus #100 from Villefranche & transfer at Eze Bord de Mer to bus #83 up to Eze Village, knowing the schedule for #83 will help in determining the best time to leave Villefranche (the ride from VF to Eze bord du Mer takes ~20 minutes) You can use the same bus ticket for both buses.

http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm

The buses from Nice to Eze Village are #82 and #112, and schedules are also shown in the site above.

If you want more detailed information on schedules: http://www.lignedazur.com/index.asp

wow this looks really complicated...when you only have a day....I am not sure we will venture too far from Nice in this case...celebrity is charging 54dollars pp for a 4 hour tour to Nice and Eze..maybe that is the way to go...sure it costs next to nothing to do it on your own but if you are spending all your time waiting for buses, looking for buses and sitting on buses I am not sure it is worth it....let me know what you think...

.....let me know what you think...

Having a pre-planned itinerary and taking schedules with you is almost essential if you are going to have some time to spend at each place.

Doing this meant that we only spent a few minutes waiting for the buses and train....we took the bus from VF to Eze bord de Mer/Eze Village, then on to Monaco and the train back to VF.

It does take some effort though, as the walk to the bus station in VF is 10 minute walk uphill. We also did a lot of walking in Monaco/Monte Carlo. (In Eze you'll do the same amount of walking uphill as the public bus stop and tour bus parking are in the same area.)

There is also a bit of guesswork involved in determining which bus stop to get off at, where the train station is, etc., so a sense of adventure is also a good thing to bring along.:)

hey susan we are in toronto..where in ontario are you...

this still sounds too complex..love adventure but when you have to make it back to a ship on time the adventure has some stress attached to it....

Hi Amanda,

We're in the Niagara region.

To give you an idea of timing for our day, we arrived in VF at 10, caught an 10:40 bus to Eze, arrived at 11:30, left Eze at 1 p.m. to go to Monaco/Monte Carlo, and took a 4:30 train back to VF. Cost (in '05) was 5.8 euros each for buses and train. But I do agree that if you aren't comfortable with the process, you'll enjoy the day much more if you take a tour.

we would plan to go to Nice and then from Nice to Eze...but also want to spend some time in Villefranche...do not want to miss it just because we dock there....so really not sure...Nice seems easy enough but eze well that would be an adventure...and so the cost for Nice and Eze would be double that...so we are looking at 15E approx pp...so that is about $23 pp...ship wants 54...for 4 hours...and that would leave us time for villefranche...

we are leaving our monticarlo for another time...

yes it would be an adventure...and would love to say...hey we found eze on our own...lol...

thanks for your help...

hey isnt the weather just crappy in our region this summer?

when is your next cruise? where?

Villefranche is definitely worth exploring ... we spent about an hour wandering around after returning from M.C.

Bus costs from VF to Nice to Eze and return won't add up to 15 euros (probably less than half that) but I wouldn't base your decision on price, unless you really want to do it on your own. My only concern about a 4 hour tour to Nice and Eze is the short time you'll have in each place.

Yes...lousy weather, but looking on the bright side :rolleyes: .... big savings on A/C and watering the lawn ... and the weeds have never been easier to pull out.

your encouragement may just do it and if we dont spend too much time in nice and eze then would still have time in villefranche..the beach is supposed to be nice ....but at end of oct not sure...

yes no watering whatsoever..in fact my tomato and pepper plants are leaning to swim...lol....

It could be a bit late for swimming ... when we were there, temps were mid 70's F (late Sept.).

Rick Steves book, Provence and The French Riviera, was helpful for planning our day there ... found it at the library. He includes maps which shows where the bus stops and train stations are.

If you are going to take the bus, have small change (coins) if possible. Also, for anyone going from VF to Eze, ask for a transfer so that you can use it on bus #83.

Hi there, do you know if we hired a driver if they could take us higher in Eze? The part about climbing to the either bus concerns me as the old knees aren't the greatest and it seems that they are really going to take a beating this trip. Would like avoid some of the unnecessary uphill hikes!

We have just returned from a Med. cruise on the Summit and docked (tendered) at Villefranche. We took the 100 bus to Eze Gare SNCF (train station) and transferred to 83 bus which took us to Eze village. We returned to Nice on the 112 bus and toured the city. In Nice we took a tour aboard a small motorized train ( 7 euros) which provided commentary and tour of Nice. From Nice we took 100 bus to Villefranche (from the main bus terminal) We wanted to visit some museum while in Nice but they were closed at the time we where in Nice. The bus fare, each way, was only one Euro. As noted on a prior post obtain the bus schedules from the Ligne D'Azur website and should you have no trouble on your trip. When you pay, on the bus you receive a card which you have to validate in the yellow box. On your transfer to 83 bus you insert this card into the yellow box and which will indicate approved fare.

Razal,

Good to hear another success story.:) After I posted above, I realized that by mistake I indicated that you should ask for a transfer to use on #83 ... but in fact, we did just what you did... inserted the same ticket into the validation machine on both buses.

Tammiko, Here's a description of parking/walking in Eze... I don't recall any roads going up past the parking lot (but I wonder how they get supplies up there?) http://www.passports.com/trips/cityfact/cityfact.asp?city=Eze%20and%20Monaco

what are corniches...are these the levels of the town...lower, middle and upper..if so there are diff buses that go to each....any idea which level to aim for?

Corniches are the highways or roads. Eze is two sites .One located lower and Eze Village located on a upper corniche.

This is a great thread and we plan to use the bus to go to Eze first thing after we are in port of VilleFranche, then tour Nice and end up in Villefranche for drinks by the sea in late afternoon before boarding our ship again.

Razal,

Good to hear another success story.:) After I posted above, I realized that by mistake I indicated that you should ask for a transfer to use on #83 ... but in fact, we did just what you did... inserted the same ticket into the validation machine on both buses.

Tammiko, Here's a description of parking/walking in Eze... I don't recall any roads going up past the parking lot (but I wonder how they get supplies up there?) http://www.passports.com/trips/cityfact/cityfact.asp?city=Eze%20and%20Monaco

Thanks! It would appear that the walking is a 'done deal'. I love the line about the tour guide sitting and watching his commission rolling in! LOL

• 1 year later...

From Villefranche we were planning to catch a bus to Monaco and then back to Eze and then back to Villefranche. Is it better to go to Eze first, and then to Monaco, and then back to Villefranche? Does anyone no which is the easier or more practical way to go? We thought we would do it all by bus.

Thanks,

Jean

Archived