Pictures of flying fish?

kdinkus1

I tried and tried but could never get my camera in the right place to get a good pic...

Without my longer lense you just can't see them well in a pic from 7 or decks up. I put my distance lense on and the vision is to narrow or I am too slow

I will try again next week though

Ever since 9/11 the flying fish have been under greater scrutiny. There is the occasional air marshal fish too, but you really can't tell who they are.

And I thought people were pulling my leg about these so called flying fish! We had an aft wrap cabin on the glory in june...and i sat out there on the balcony for hours looking for those darn things...and NOTHING!!! lol

And I thought people were pulling my leg about these so called flying fish! We had an aft wrap cabin on the glory in june...and i sat out there on the balcony for hours looking for those darn things...and NOTHING!!! lol

They were probably in a holding pattern.

I rarely see them from midship back. I think they launch themselves off the front wakes the ship puts out. I too have tried to get pictures but all the picture shows are waves. I may try bringing my SLR this next trip.

I rarely see them from midship back. I think they launch themselves off the front wakes the ship puts out. I too have tried to get pictures but all the picture shows are waves. I may try bringing my SLR this next trip.

they are actually trying to get out of the way of the ship, they are fleeing. and they dont necessarily launch from the wake, you can see them just coming up out of the water as they flee.

I kinda figured they were moving out of the way. They are neat to watch. Hope I see them on our upcomming Mexican Riviera cruise.

We were on a tour in Barbados last year and the tour stoped at a roadside cafe which served Flying Fish. It was flour coated and fried. Rather tasteless in case your curious. It could have really been any kind of small fish and they just said it was Flying Fish.

When I told my husband about flying fish he thought I was yanking his crank too. Kind of like a snipe or something. Luckily on our last cruise we were able to see a lot of them so they no longer hold "Jackalope" status in his mind.

Do they need passports? :D

Last year, on a sea day, I was enthralled watching birds fish behind the bow wake. There were three of them and they would soar above the ship, just off to the side. Then at different times each would dive into the water, 30 - 40 feet off the side. They would disappear and then surface, more often than not with a fish in their beak. The incredible thing to me was watching them get airborne.

Thanks for the pictures! I am making a scrapbook about cruising and a must have is the flying fish! As I said when I started this thread, I have them on video but for some reason my screen capture makes them blurry. On our last cruise with our DS and DDI, (whom by the way didn't believe in flying fish!), saw a huge skool of them and they stayed with us for many minutes. It was exciting to see!

On Fantasy class ships, go up to the lido deck. There is an area where the deck juts out and it has big glass walls to protect the lido from wind. You can get a good view of the bow wake from here and you can see them. Sometimes you won't see them for 2 or 3 minutes, then all of a sudden, you'll see lots of them. I think they are also called Bonita.

This is also a good place to look for Dolphins. We have seen dolphins on every trip, but only once or twice per trip.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1650606017535&id=4838651f6eb3e659df8b77942bd673ef&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.clipperroundtheworld.com%2fimages%2fgallery_race_news%2fFlying_fish.jpgthumbnail.aspx?q=1467470119652&id=c9aa55c9cf80bffe7636d8e71914b1fc&url=http%3a%2f%2f2.bp.blogspot.com%2f_AvcR9iZclx8%2fSdIzD0XKXgI%2fAAAAAAAAAOo%2fceRF8aHLLC4%2fs320%2fFlying%2bFish%2b2.jpg

On Fantasy class ships, go up to the lido deck. There is an area where the deck juts out and it has big glass walls to protect the lido from wind. You can get a good view of the bow wake from here and you can see them. Sometimes you won't see them for 2 or 3 minutes, then all of a sudden, you'll see lots of them. I think they are also called Bonita.

This is also a good place to look for Dolphins. We have seen dolphins on every trip, but only once or twice per trip.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1650606017535&id=4838651f6eb3e659df8b77942bd673ef&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.clipperroundtheworld.com%2fimages%2fgallery_race_news%2fFlying_fish.jpgthumbnail.aspx?q=1467470119652&id=c9aa55c9cf80bffe7636d8e71914b1fc&url=http%3a%2f%2f2.bp.blogspot.com%2f_AvcR9iZclx8%2fSdIzD0XKXgI%2fAAAAAAAAAOo%2fceRF8aHLLC4%2fs320%2fFlying%2bFish%2b2.jpg

This is a bonita

fish-4655.jpeg

Archived