Gastric Bypass

Mishelle

I had RNY in May 2014 and have lost 112 pounds in almost 6 months. This will be my first cruise since the surgery. I was wondering anyone who has done weight loss surgery how did it go. I am sure there will be plenty to eat. Just a little nervous about over eating. I am not worrying about alcohol since I can live without my fruity drinks. Will miss them but can live with out them. LOL. Michelle

Congratulations to you! I'm hoping a member of my family undergoes your procedure - she desperately needs it.

My wife, sister and I didn't gain anything on our cruise although we're all big eaters and ate what we wanted. We also did a lot of exercise - walking around the ship, going to the gym (only once, though - after all we were on vacation), and walking around the ports.

I think exercise is the key.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My mom had the surgery and she cruised the first time six months after the surgery (she was still losing weight at the time of the cruise). She found that it was very easy to find what she needed to eat given the plentiful options. The biggest issue is definitely temptation with all of the delicious foods, but it can definitely be done. I think eating in the dining room instead of the buffet makes it easier because the portions are relatively small and there is less opportunity to overeat! Don't be afraid to ask for substitutions, I have found that the waiters are very helpful. I always sub green veggies for potatoes/rice/polenta/etc and it is never a problem! Good luck!

In March we completed B2B2B2B cruises, 28 days on board. I had the Duodenal Switch surgery 14 years ago. I actually lost 6 pounds while cruising. I think having good choices already prepared and easy to get really helped. We don't do breakfast, but for lunch I usually had a piece of baked white fish from the buffet and a salad. But 3 or 4 days we went to the Italian Restaurant and got pasta. At dinner I strived for seafood, but occasionally got the beef. I had dessert every night. I avoided all snacking, but still had a couple of alcoholic drinks a day.

Ok. I didn't have bypass, but had a bout with bad lymph nodes in my neck. After surgery Dec.1 followed by chemo/radiation I've lost 43lbs :) . I'm down to HS weight. tough way to do it, but my feeding tube comes out this Friday yeah! Am looking so forward to the cruise we just booked for next April. Although my wife wants me to put some weight back on, I'm hoping I keep it off but just build some muscle back. I feel good the weight is off no matter what. Jim