1st time on Epic. What restaurants shouldn't be missed.

luv2gonow

Hi,

Doing the Mediterranean cruise in July. I have 2 rooms booked 1 room has the Ultimate Dining upgrade. So I figure I will pay for other 2 people.

Now since this is a very port intensive cruise I definitely don't want to be tied down to a sit down dinner every night. I'm sure we will just want to hit the buffet and relax some nights.

With that said which restaurants do you think are best?

I also have a daughter who is 13 are kids allowed and are there kids menu's. Picky eater:o

Should I do the Cirque show?

We do love steak so I'm thinking Cagney could be one?

Kerri

Hi,

Doing the Mediterranean cruise in July. I have 2 rooms booked 1 room has the Ultimate Dining upgrade. So I figure I will pay for other 2 people.

Now since this is a very port intensive cruise I definitely don't want to be tied down to a sit down dinner every night. I'm sure we will just want to hit the buffet and relax some nights.?

Firstly, if this is the case then don't buy the dining package for the other people. It will almost certainly be cheaper to pay for the speciality restaurants as you go.

Firstly, if you don't want a full meal then always remember that there is o'Sheehans, which is complementary and has good pub food. We always go there once or twice when on the Epic.

As for the specialities, if you like Steak then Cagneys is very good. Also consider Moderno. My favourite is probably Le Bistro (although it is all obviously just personal preference).

I also like Shanghais. I use the Noodle Bar section, as I'm generally bury myself when I go there, but it also has the benefit of being cheaper. However, if you are with people who have the UDP then they will need to go to the sit down restaurant to avoid charges.

Teppenyaki is also popular, but if you want to go there then it's probably best to prebook.

Cagney's is excellent. I loved the filet, and I really liked the roasted beet side and the potato gratin side.

I liked Le Bistro a lot, but the quality can vary. I had the same entrée (the pork loin) a couple of nights on my cruise, and it was delicious one night and overcooked the second time I had it. The French onion soup is mediocre, especially for a French restaurant, but the mushroom soup is very good. My biggest issue with the restaurant was that it really set off my sea sickness for some reason. I don't know if it was the color scheme or something else, but every time I went there, I had issues with sea sickness (and I was fine for the rest of the cruise).

I really like Moderno, too, but it can be overwhelming and very easy to over-stuff yourself. I had the UDP when I went, so it was nice to go just for the salad bar a couple of nights.

Teppenyaki is fun if you're in a group, but I think the majority of the food is not very good. I'd personally rather go to Cagney's or Moderno.

I like the sushi bar a lot, even though I don't eat seafood (I get the veggie roll and miso soup or edamame). It's pretty cheap, and you get a decent amount of food.

The noodle bar was good, but the sit-down portion of Shanghai's was pretty bad, IMO. The food was almost inedible and the service took forever. I had the hot and sour soup (tasted and looked like a thick, spicy sweet and sour sauce with vinegar added to it), and one of the beef entrees (the meat was a really weird, almost mushy texture). I barely made a dent in either one, but the red bean dumplings I had for desert were decent.

At O'Sheehan's, I like the meatloaf and the soup. The spinach dip is okay if you add tobasco sauce to it. Otherwise, I think it's not that great. The rest of the bar food on the menu is really obviously microwaved or sat in a warming pan for too long.

If you buy the UDP for 2 people, Cirque is included for the first night only as part of the UDP. If you want to do Cirque on any other night, it will cost you $29/$39 depending where you sit. We have done both the UDP and just bought separate restaurants, depending on what itinerary we were sailing. We always eat at least once in Cagneys, and always once in Le Bistro or La Cucina. Food is an individual opinion for everyone. We like Teppenyaki (for the entertainment value - just like Benihana) and could do without Moderno - though many people love that place. We love O'Sheehans, and eat there 3-4 times during a cruise. Have never eaten in the dining rooms!

Firstly, if this is the case then don't buy the dining package for the other people. It will almost certainly be cheaper to pay for the speciality restaurants as you go.

Firstly, if you don't want a full meal then always remember that there is o'Sheehans, which is complementary and has good pub food. We always go there once or twice when on the Epic.

As for the specialities, if you like Steak then Cagneys is very good. Also consider Moderno. My favourite is probably Le Bistro (although it is all obviously just personal preference).

I also like Shanghais. I use the Noodle Bar section, as I'm generally bury myself when I go there, but it also has the benefit of being cheaper. However, if you are with people who have the UDP then they will need to go to the sit down restaurant to avoid charges.

Teppenyaki is also popular, but if you want to go there then it's probably best to prebook.

Yes I was thinking I would just pay for the extra people at the restaurant.

Thanks for the ideas:D

Cagney's is excellent. I loved the filet, and I really liked the roasted beet side and the potato gratin side.

I liked Le Bistro a lot, but the quality can vary. I had the same entrée (the pork loin) a couple of nights on my cruise, and it was delicious one night and overcooked the second time I had it. The French onion soup is mediocre, especially for a French restaurant, but the mushroom soup is very good. My biggest issue with the restaurant was that it really set off my sea sickness for some reason. I don't know if it was the color scheme or something else, but every time I went there, I had issues with sea sickness (and I was fine for the rest of the cruise).

I really like Moderno, too, but it can be overwhelming and very easy to over-stuff yourself. I had the UDP when I went, so it was nice to go just for the salad bar a couple of nights.

Teppenyaki is fun if you're in a group, but I think the majority of the food is not very good. I'd personally rather go to Cagney's or Moderno.

I like the sushi bar a lot, even though I don't eat seafood (I get the veggie roll and miso soup or edamame). It's pretty cheap, and you get a decent amount of food.

The noodle bar was good, but the sit-down portion of Shanghai's was pretty bad, IMO. The food was almost inedible and the service took forever. I had the hot and sour soup (tasted and looked like a thick, spicy sweet and sour sauce with vinegar added to it), and one of the beef entrees (the meat was a really weird, almost mushy texture). I barely made a dent in either one, but the red bean dumplings I had for desert were decent.

At O'Sheehan's, I like the meatloaf and the soup. The spinach dip is okay if you add tobasco sauce to it. Otherwise, I think it's not that great. The rest of the bar food on the menu is really obviously microwaved or sat in a warming pan for too long.

I will probably make a reservation for Cagney's and the Hibachi restaurant. My daughter loves that.

I will probably hit O'sheehans for lunch I am thinking on the sea day. Probably like everyone else:roll eyes:

Thanks

Kerri

If you buy the UDP for 2 people, Cirque is included for the first night only as part of the UDP. If you want to do Cirque on any other night, it will cost you $29/$39 depending where you sit. We have done both the UDP and just bought separate restaurants, depending on what itinerary we were sailing. We always eat at least once in Cagneys, and always once in Le Bistro or La Cucina. Food is an individual opinion for everyone. We like Teppenyaki (for the entertainment value - just like Benihana) and could do without Moderno - though many people love that place. We love O'Sheehans, and eat there 3-4 times during a cruise. Have never eaten in the dining rooms!

I have the UDP from a promotion for 1 room but the other room (2 people) do not. I was going to pay in specialty for those 2 when we went.

As for LeCirque we are embarking in Rome and the main port to embark is Barcelona. I have read on these boards they don't do LeCirque on the Rome night so I can get it free on Barcelona night for those 2 guest with UDP.

Conflicting reports about booking it though.

Think I will stick with Cagney's and Hibachi because my daughter will like those.

And just wing it for the rest.

Thanks everyone.:D

Kerri

Thanks for the suggestions:-)

Maybe I will try le bistro with hubby... Need to check out moderno menu

Moderno was a big deal to us because we've never been to that sort of restaurant, the Brazilian steakhouses. As my husband described it, it's a "man's restaurant", where the meat is literally carved at your table, and where they fill your plate until you tell them not to. There was also a delicious salad bar there. :)

Le Bistro was perfect for a romantic night with hubby. They both were, actually! Enjoy!

We enjoyed the food in the MDR.

The Le Cirque show is a bit risque. A number of people commented to me that they were embarrassed to be there with their kids. You know your daughter. If you'd watch say a PG-15 movie (between PG-13 & R) with her, it's fine. But if you'd still prefer to shelter your little girl from that, perhaps in a few more years.

We generally love LeBistro but at in Moderno this time. It was delicious but it's a lot of food

We enjoyed the food in the MDR.

The Le Cirque show is a bit risque. A number of people commented to me that they were embarrassed to be there with their kids. You know your daughter. If you'd watch say a PG-15 movie (between PG-13 & R) with her, it's fine. But if you'd still prefer to shelter your little girl from that, perhaps in a few more years.

We generally love LeBistro but at in Moderno this time. It was delicious but it's a lot of food

Thanks for the heads up. She will turn 14 next April day of embarking on cruise.

As of now I would say no....she still is turned off by anything slightly sexual in nature. I will see her maturity level at that point. But I probably would like to shelter her:o Her last days of innocence are approaching way to fast:(

Kerri

When I went to the Cirque show, I didn't feel it was risque at all. All the bits were completely covered, there was no cursing, I don't remember any allusions toward sex, etc. It's absolutely no more risque than an actual circus. I guarantee you that a 13/14 year-old has seen and heard far worse while at school. To be honest, the only part of the show I found even remotely questionable was that at one point they had "apes" (people holding an ape mask on a stick in front of their faces) come out, and they happened to be all minority races, but the actual performers were all white Europeans. I don't know if that was intentional, but I cringed at it.

I watched Cirque with my dh and 11 year old son, and none of us thought it was risque at all. It surprises me that some people think that. There were all ages in attendance, and it is designed for all ages.

We ate at Cagney's three times we enjoyed it so much. Moderno was also very good. Le Bistro was just OK. My entree was very good but my wife's lasagna was dry and not very good. La Cucina was very disappointing. We were seating in the area under the Cirque show and the bangs and booms coming from above made it difficult to hold a conversation and our waiter was very rude.

When I went to the Cirque show, I didn't feel it was risque at all. All the bits were completely covered, there was no cursing, I don't remember any allusions toward sex, etc. It's absolutely no more risque than an actual circus. I guarantee you that a 13/14 year-old has seen and heard far worse while at school. To be honest, the only part of the show I found even remotely questionable was that at one point they had "apes" (people holding an ape mask on a stick in front of their faces) come out, and they happened to be all minority races, but the actual performers were all white Europeans. I don't know if that was intentional, but I cringed at it.

Yikes.....wierd.

I watched Cirque with my dh and 11 year old son, and none of us thought it was risque at all. It surprises me that some people think that. There were all ages in attendance, and it is designed for all ages.

This is good to hear....Might take advantage of the free show on Barcelona night because of UDP:D

• 2 weeks later...