Purchasing cigarettes

din2play2

Yes they still sell onboard, and a lot cheaper then on land.

Prices vary by brand like in all the stores on land.

Just remember, you might have to pay duty on the cartons over the limit allowed to be brought back into the USA is all.

I believe that the price per carton is around $35 on board, that is actually a lower price than the regular Taxfree price on most European International Airports. I have no idea how the price is compared to US prices, since I live in Europe myself (not in a EU country)....

I can only speak for Marlboro as that's what I bought. Single cartons of 100's (and, I think all varieties) were $45, but a three carton pack was $108 ($36 each). This was on the Dawn in January.

I bought the three-pack and opened one on the ship. I declared to the Customs officer that I had two cartons plus one opened and he waved me through. There were two of us traveling.

Edited by Guindalf

TY all very much for responding :)

Glad to hear they are still selling them and so cheap! I know it would be cheaper if we'd quit but - easier said then done :(

Do you know how many cartons customs allows you? There are 3 of us and we are all smokers so we will all want to buy them :eek:

Officially, It say 200 cigs....Not fully sure how the ship's cigs count as I am not sure if it is duty free... I use to only bring 1 carton back bought on ship and never had an issue.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/~/traveler-bringing-tobacco-products-(cigarettes,-cigars,-bidis)-to-the-u.s.-for

Edited by FireEater

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the epic, they had deals on 5 cartoons of Marlboro for 144 pall mall was $20 each. We bought in cozamel on the pier 25.50 each carton for Marlboro 100s, it's a 5 carton limit there. We brought back 8 cartons for us and friends in our suitcase. We did not declare them in customs we went right through. Had the found them we would have just paid tax on 6. My friend bought back 15.

Edited by AzStyle

Yes they still sell onboard, and a lot cheaper then on land.

Prices vary by brand like in all the stores on land.

Just remember, you might have to pay duty on the cartons over the limit allowed to be brought back into the USA is all.

You never have to pay duty on cigarettes that you bring back over the linmit of 200 per person. If the custom agent wants the duty is to dispose of them. Normally on a cruise that doesn't happen but there is no provision in the law to pay duty on excess tobacco.

You never have to pay duty on cigarettes that you bring back over the linmit of 200 per person. If the custom agent wants the duty is to dispose of them. Normally on a cruise that doesn't happen but there is no provision in the law to pay duty on excess tobacco.

I'm Canadian and even know that's not true. What you said makes no sense at all. Here's a link to act

http://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml

I'm Canadian and even know that's not true. What you said makes no sense at all. Here's a link to act

http://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml

Thanks for trying but, you clearly don't know US import law. What you linked to is the wrong law. Those are taxes paid for products made in the US, not imported, but thanks for letting smokers know how much money goes to the government.

Here is the import rule:

Tobacco Products

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. Tobacco products are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on sea carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These products are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States."

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Edited by zqvol

Thanks for trying but, you clearly don't know US import law. What you linked to is the wrong law. Those are taxes paid for products made in the US, not imported, but thanks for letting smokers know how much money goes to the government.

Here is the import rule:

Tobacco Products

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. Tobacco products are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on sea carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These products are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States."

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Yes but it's duty and taxes that that you will have to pay on anything over the limit.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/kw/cigarettes%20limit/suggested/1