Bordeaux (Le Verdon) Question

TERRIER1

The Marina has an overnight scheduled stop at Bordeaux (Le Verdon) in June 2011. The ship arrives at 8 am on one day and leaves at 9 pm the next day which is a little strange.

I am assuming we dock at Le Verdon which is down the river a ways from Bordeaux. Has anyone been to this port and can tell me how do you get from Le Verdon to Bordeaux? Is there anything to do in Le Verdon?

Does anyone know why we are there two full days? Thanks for your help.

We're going to be in Bordeaux for 2 days this summer on Insignia. I don't know anything about Le Verdon but I do know about Bordeaux -- as in, wine. There are lots of wonderful wineries in the Bordeaux/Medoc region to visit. I would suggest trying to get a group together, hire a van and guide, and spend your 2 days at the wineries.

This is only going to be a guess on my part, since the Marina is not yet finished, but I am assuming that she will not be able to sail all the way to Bordeaux as the other Oceania ships have. She is almost twice the size, although still comfortably sized compared to the monsters they're building these days.

The region around Bordeaux is extremely interesting and two days may still not be enough time for some. There are countless wineries to visit amongst other things - you will not be bored.

And I think you can be confident that Oceania will have available transportation at La Verdun for you.

We were there Sep 2009 for 2 days.

Originally, Insignia was supposed to be docking at Bordeaux at 10am and leave the next day at 7 pm, but a few months after the release of itinerary it got changed to Le Verdon for departure at 9 pm. I suspected it was due to the tide and Insignia had to get out before low tide. Then it switched again to depart Bordeaux at 9pm. Someone must have given Oceania the wrong tide table.

What little research I did on Le Verdon became useless. I do remember there's not much around Le Verdon, it's just a cargo port. The drive into Bordeaux can be 1.5 to 2 hrs, since the speed limit is low, and you have to go through many small villages.

To us, it would not have mattered , as we focused on that region of wineries anyway. In fact, the last winery we visited on day 2 ( Chateau Mouton Rothschild ) was actually closer to Le Verdon.

I agree with Rickey's theory, but it may be frustrating when Oceania cannot tell you at this stage whether they'll bus you into Bordeaux, which was what we were told when we were wondering whether we had to find our way to go to Le Verdon ourselves. I see that they are visiting Bordeaux quite a few times this year, so they will have plenty of time to work out the kinks.

The Marina has an overnight scheduled stop at Bordeaux (Le Verdon) in June 2011. The ship arrives at 8 am on one day and leaves at 9 pm the next day which is a little strange.

I am assuming we dock at Le Verdon which is down the river a ways from Bordeaux. Has anyone been to this port and can tell me how do you get from Le Verdon to Bordeaux? Is there anything to do in Le Verdon?

Does anyone know why we are there two full days? Thanks for your help.

On the Regatta Inaugural we were there two full days and just loved Bordeaux..I suggest you wait until about 6 months prior to departure and I am sure Oceania will be able to provide you with all the information you need.

Jancruz1

Thanks for all you input. My concern is if you book your own tour what happens if they change the docking location especially since Le Verdon is pretty far from Bordeaux. Did Oceania actually provide a bus to the town of Bordeaux if you were not taking their excursions? Once again thanks for the input.

Thanks for all you input. My concern is if you book your own tour what happens if they change the docking location especially since Le Verdon is pretty far from Bordeaux. Did Oceania actually provide a bus to the town of Bordeaux if you were not taking their excursions? Once again thanks for the input.

We docked directly in Bordeaux so we didnt need a bus, I am sure whoever you booked your trip with will be able to get that info as you get closer to departure..not to worry.

Jancruz1

About 2 years ago the RSSC Mariner docked at Le Verdon (the cargo area). The ship offered a bus with a guide to take you down the wine trail to Bordeaux and a short tour of Bordeaux ( about 1 1/2 hours), and then you had the rest of the day on your own. The ride back to the ship on a different rout (almost 1 hour) cost about $100 US. The guide was good and we did enjoy her commentary. There was also very limited train service that did not work for our trip. The ship also offered transportation into Le Verdon which I understand is a nice little sea side village. Unfortunately it rained all day so we could not really enjoy the city as we have on our past visits.

The private tour that we used told us, when we were scheduled at one point to leave from Le Verdon, that they will take us to pier in Le Verdon after our tour. I would think that they'll pick you up wherever the ship docks.

The nice thing with the overnight stay is you can do city of Bordeaux, and whatever else on day 1, and save the left bank wineries ( Pauillac )for day 2 so you're actually close to the ship when your tour ends. Alternatively, you can see whatever pleases you on day2 and just build in a safer margin of time to return to ship.

Any recommendation on what to do in the Bordeaux region if I am not interested in wineries ? I don't drink. I am sure it is beautiful and scenic, but we are docked there for two days. I have not found guidebooks to be particularly useful; the emphasis is on vineyards.

The town of Bordeaux is wonderful..lots of restaurants & shopping is great etc. see that and take a tour to St. Emillion.. it is also wonderful..and although these are the most fabulous wine regions the towns are fun

lots of Kodak moments.. really great.

We docked directly in Bordeaux so we didnt need a bus, I am sure whoever you booked your trip with will be able to get that info as you get closer to departure..not to worry.

Jancruz1

but we took a magical bus tour didn't we?;)

P.S. if you are looking for private tours in this area, wether to wineries or to the coast or ? Alain was the very best. I can not locate his email, but if you email Jean at this address I am sure he can put you in touch with Alain .. and say hi to both of them from me ;-)

Jean ( JD) runs the tourism for Bordeaux so if you have any questions he would be the one to ask.

jdcoulon@alienor.fr

• 1 year later...

Since this old thread has suddenly had a resurrection I'll just say that I don't find it strange to arrive at 8am on one day and leave at 9pm the next. It's a question of how long it takes to get to the next port. Sometimes the ship just goes in circles to while away the time if it's really a very short sail.

And it isn't so unheard of to overnight in a port. Sometimes I'd like more overnights than we usually get!

Hopefully in the year since you posted your first question, you've made a lot of plans!

Mura

Do I have an out dated itinerary? I see that we are at Bordeau on june 4th and in La Rochelle on June 5th. They appear to be only about 100 miles apart, but the Marina lands at each port at 8 a.m. and leaves at 9 p.m. Can anyone clarify that for me?

Do I have an out dated itinerary? I see that we are at Bordeau on june 4th and in La Rochelle on June 5th. They appear to be only about 100 miles apart, but the Marina lands at each port at 8 a.m. and leaves at 9 p.m. Can anyone clarify that for me?

When the itinerary was introduced in 2010 the plan was for an overnight at Le Verdon. That was changed some time ago to Le Verdon one day and La Rochelle the next. The information you have is correct and current.

There's always a danger when a year old thread is resurrected that the information is no longer valid.

The itinerary has changed since I initiated the thread. However, Magellan of Menlo Park is correct in stating that Oceania will not be offering a shuttle. I had called Oceania to ascertain which ports will have a shuttle on our 16 day journey and was told NONE. The reason is that we port in a town for all stops. Apparently they view the town in this case to be Le Verdon and not Bordeaux which is very far away. The agent also stated that Oceania will not provide a shuttle unless more than 2 km.

Hi Terrier,

we are also on this cruise, and checking the timetable we have been sent, it details August 6 arrive 8.00, leave 9pm the same day. and sails for Biarritz. In the original brochure, we had the same timings as yourself. Le Verdon is a long way from Bordeaux, little of interest apart from the ferry over to Le Royan, and no public transport. We have tried in vain to hire a car, but all the agencies close on Sat afternoon. We have contacted a tour company, who offer a Medoc vineyard tour, but in a minibus seating 8, we are told us that demand is high on that particular day.Another couple on the same trip have asked us if we'd like to join them, on a different tour, We said we were interested, but have not had a reply as yet. Sure we can make up a party. Marina is too big to enter, berth and turn in the city, we were told by an Oceania rep at the London cruise show. Pity, as bordeaux is so lovely. the vineyards and chateaux are all on the Gironde side and only some accept casual visitors. We have been in the area in August and many are closed for annual holidays before the harvest starts. A shared guided tour is the best bet, we're not very impressed by the expensive one offered by Oceania. Marie and Brian, UK

Thanks for the information. We are on the May 22 voyage. We made private arrangements for a tour a while ago once we realized Le Verdon was no where near anything and how difficult it was to get anywhere. Oceania is way overpriced for tours. They are charging $135 pp just to get from the pier at Le Verdon and back from Bordeaux.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We are frustrated docking in Le Verdon.....6 of us would like a private tour of Bordeaux and perhaps, St. Emilion.....we are not interested in wine tours.....any ideas? Ohio Gal

Which sailing are you on? If you are on our August 10 Marina cruise, be also aware that the day we dock in Le Verdon is also a HOLIDAY in France...many things will be closed...

We were on the May 26 Marina sailing that stopped in Le Verdon. The original itinerary had an overnight at that port and then was changed to one day. Oceania ran a shuttle bus to the nearest small town Soulac-sur-Mer. We had arranged a private wine tour so we didn't utilize the shuttle bus. People who went there said it was very nice especially since the town was having a festival of sorts.

Please be aware that Bordeaux is about 1 1/2 hours away by car and St Emilion is even farther. There is a train but the schedule is not suitable to getting to Bordeaux and back and you have to make a connection. There is basically one road in and out so you might want to explore renting a car but I don't know where you would pick it up. If you go on Tripadvisor and do a search for Bordeaux wine tours you will find private companies that do tours other than just for wine tasting. I found one that takes you to where they harvest the oysters that sounds interesting. Have fun and enjoy.

Archived