What to do in New Orleans Pre-cruise?

My husband and I will be arriving in New Orleans by vehicle on a Friday around dinner time and cruising on Sunday. What could we do Friday evening and all day Saturday. We will be staying at the Courtyard in Metairie. How far is it from the French Quarter? Is that where we will want to spend all our time? Should we drive or take a taxi or uber? I think we would enjoy some type of guided tour, perhaps a walking tour (burn some calories to make up for all the food!!) or would we be able to see a lot more if we did a bus tour? I am interested in the French Quarter and/or Garden District. I am not interested in museums or anything to do with voodoo or witchcraft. Would it be worth it to try Cafe DuMonde, considering where we are staying? Is it open all day, or just for breakfast?

How much will it cost us to get to the port from the Courtyard in Metairie?

I would check Uber or a taxi. Parking in the French Quarter is a pain. I have taken a bus tour (they can't get down into the French Quarter), a walking tour, a horse drawn carriage tour and a taxi driver I had one time had grown up in New Orleans and gave my late husband and I one of the best tours. A friend did a walking ghost tour and said it was fun. If you google tours of the French Quarter you will find quite a few listed. I personally prefer Cafe Beignet on Bourbon Street. It has a jazz garden out front and I haven't been there when they didn't have someone performing. I prefer the beignets over DuMonde and you don't have the lines. I know from the airport to the port is $36 for two people. It is a set rate. Not sure about Metairie.

go to the New Orleans forum, there are gazillion and gazillions (estimated) of threads on the same topic. Cant beat cafe Du Monde for beignets and hot chocolate. take the charles St street car out to the garden district

go to the New Orleans forum, there are gazillion and gazillions (estimated) of threads on the same topic. Cant beat cafe Du Monde for beignets and hot chocolate. take the charles St street car out to the garden district

I didn't realize there was another forum specifically for New Orleans. I'll go hunt for it, although we have made plans for Saturday. We are going to get the 3 day pass for the Hop on and Hop off bus with the 2 walking tours and we made reservations for the Creole Queen Jazz dinner cruise. Friday evening I think we're going to go to the Cafe Du Monde in Metairie for a coffee and beignets. I'm lactose intolerant, so I wouldn't want to drink the coffee while far away from the hotel, even with Lactaid, which doesn't always work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums