Long Beach Hotel - Inexpensive, Free Parking, Free Shuttle

Taters

My friends are going on a 4 night cruise from Long Beach on October 9th and are looking for accommodations for one night prior to the cruise. They do not want anything fancy and are not afraid of less than glamorous neighborhoods. Since they are driving in, they are looking for a place they can park their car and that would take them to the ship and back to the hotel once the cruise is over.

TIA

Hotel Current is "inexpensive". The Queen Mary is not(IMO)

They have a snooze n cruise rate so scroll down to see it:

http://www.hotelcurrent.com/

We stay closer to the port at the Maya which is part of the Hilton system.

They often have a Carnival discount code but sometimes it doesn't work and you need to email management about it. I think Current will be less expensive but the code is p41 just in case you want to try it.

Hotel Current is "inexpensive". The Queen Mary is not(IMO)

They have a snooze n cruise rate so scroll down to see it:

http://www.hotelcurrent.com/

We stay closer to the port at the Maya which is part of the Hilton system.

They often have a Carnival discount code but sometimes it doesn't work and you need to email management about it. I think Current will be less expensive but the code is p41 just in case you want to try it.

The Hotel Current Snooze & Cruise rate is $159. That's not really inexpensive. I was thinking more in the $100 - $120 range. The property does not need to be "fabulous".

I've cruised from LB several times over the past few years and have stayed at the Maya and the QM. These are not what I would consider inexpensive, either.

Just looking for someplace clean with a shuttle and free parking. :)

Thanks!

Try the Golden Sails.

The BW on Long Beach Blvd is truly sketchy.

FWIW. Parking is $19/day at port. They'll be in the middle of Dark Harbor, lots of hotels get booked for this.

ETA-- check out all the hotels, never know what'll pop up. Look for info about the Maya and QM. Need to call to get the cruise rate.

Haven't heard of any successful parking offsite nearby.

Know people who park at Union Station then take Red/Purple-Red-Blue lines, Passport Bus to port.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay.

The entire Los Angeles market is just a bit more expensive than places like Fairbanks Alaska and a lot of other towns in the US and the world. You are just not going to find ANY decent and reasonably convenient hotel to give you a room, a week's parking and a shuttle to the port for the kind of money you are looking at.

Looking for a cheap alternative like staying somewhere way out of the way and using public transportation to get clear across town just isn't worth the hassle IMHO... Staying in a bad neighborhood in a third class motel isn't worth it either...neither is leaving your car there for a week.

Sometimes, you just bite the bullet and go a few dollars over budget. You're likely spending thousands on the cruise, fifty bucks more to have a nice stay in a nearby hotel with a short shuttle ride and a relatively safe place to leave your car plus a quick ride back to pick it up after the cruise is WELL worth that small differential in price. The Maya, at those prices, is a tremendous deal. It is a nice, well run hotel extremely close to the port...you can even walk (with rolling luggage) to the port. There is a free shuttle to lots of restaurants nearby. Time is money. Convenience and comfort are worth money.

The Current and the Golden Sails are both decent hotels in nice areas but clear on the other side of Long Beach. If you can save a lot staying there and are willing to take a considerably longer shuttle ride to and from the port, then they are also options. If you can get lucky and snag a great deal from the Hyatts, the Renaissance, the Westin, the Hilton or the Residence Inn Downtown Long Beach, then those would be options. Anywhere else you may save a few bucks just really isn't worth it...IF they would actually even exist...

The entire Los Angeles market is just a bit more expensive than places like Fairbanks Alaska and a lot of other towns in the US and the world. You are just not going to find ANY decent and reasonably convenient hotel to give you a room, a week's parking and a shuttle to the port for the kind of money you are looking at.

Looking for a cheap alternative like staying somewhere way out of the way and using public transportation to get clear across town just isn't worth the hassle IMHO... Staying in a bad neighborhood in a third class motel isn't worth it either...neither is leaving your car there for a week.

Sometimes, you just bite the bullet and go a few dollars over budget. You're likely spending thousands on the cruise, fifty bucks more to have a nice stay in a nearby hotel with a short shuttle ride and a relatively safe place to leave your car plus a quick ride back to pick it up after the cruise is WELL worth that small differential in price. The Maya, at those prices, is a tremendous deal. It is a nice, well run hotel extremely close to the port...you can even walk (with rolling luggage) to the port. There is a free shuttle to lots of restaurants nearby. Time is money. Convenience and comfort are worth money.

The Current and the Golden Sails are both decent hotels in nice areas but clear on the other side of Long Beach. If you can save a lot staying there and are willing to take a considerably longer shuttle ride to and from the port, then they are also options. If you can get lucky and snag a great deal from the Hyatts, the Renaissance, the Westin, the Hilton or the Residence Inn Downtown Long Beach, then those would be options. Anywhere else you may save a few bucks just really isn't worth it...IF they would actually even exist...

You make me laugh! Fairbanks is one very expensive place. $16 burgers are the norm. My friends do not want anything fancy and I am simply trying to see if there is anything out there that might suit their needs for their 4 night cruise... Not necessarily looking for opinions on comfort.

I'll take a look at Golden Sails for them.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Haven't heard of any successful parking offsite nearby.

Know people who park at Union Station then take Red/Purple-Red-Blue lines, Passport Bus to port.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay.

Thanks for the input.

We are sailing out of Long Beach, flying into LAX. After much research, we decided on airb&b. We will stay in a host's guest room for a fraction of the cost of a hotel. Of course this will not include any transportationking costs

We were there in March. Stayed at Days Inn. Clean, friendly, small breakfast and very friendly staff. Not a great area but we had no issues. Have to taxi to port. Not sure if you can leave your car. We drove to pier. Saved enough on room to cover parking. It was great to get off ship and get right into car and be on our way.

Bear in mind that the skeevier the neighborhood and the cheaper the hotel, the more likely that the parking lot (if cruise parking is even on offer) is not secure, patrolled or monitored, and your friends' car may be prowled, vandalized or, at worst, stolen. We had a car prowler hit our rental at a Holiday Inn near Disneyland - broke out a window to find that there was nothing in there - fortunately because it was a rental protected by our American Express, we were able to get another car the same day. Others staying at the hotel fared far worse, as their personal vehicles had been broken into and items taken. Those families ended up losing out on at least some of their hard-earned vacation time to file police reports and get their cars in for replacement windows so they could drive home.

It wasn't even what I would have thought of as a "bad" neighborhood. Mostly hotels nearby. Never thought it would happen there. At a more seedy motel in a sketch neighborhood? Some chances just aren't worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing the week before Christmas, and due to our large group require two rooms. After reading all the advice and weighing options as well as doing a lot of research, we went with the Maya. It is $179/night for park and cruise, even though we don't have a vehicle. It provides a shuttle to the cruise port(which saves us taxi or Uber cost) and is in a safe area. You can search forever and try to find a better deal, but in the end, it's probably not worth it. I decided we are on vacation and it will cost a little more, but it makes our lives easier and is worth a few extra $$ for peace of mind.

We are sailing the week before Christmas, and due to our large group require two rooms. After reading all the advice and weighing options as well as doing a lot of research, we went with the Maya. It is $179/night for park and cruise, even though we don't have a vehicle. It provides a shuttle to the cruise port(which saves us taxi or Uber cost) and is in a safe area. You can search forever and try to find a better deal, but in the end, it's probably not worth it. I decided we are on vacation and it will cost a little more, but it makes our lives easier and is worth a few extra $$ for peace of mind.

I could not agree more. You are likely spending thousands on the vacation, why skimp to save just a few dollars on a hotel room to end up somewhere you wouldn't want to stay?

You should enjoy the Maya. It is in a very nice location, right on the water. Even if it wasn't for the shuttle, you could walk to the Carnival pier. The free Passport shuttle will pick you up right at the Maya and take you across the channel to the Aquarium, Seaport Village, the Pike and a LARGE variety of restaurants--Bubba Gump, Hooters, Chili's, Outback, PF Chang, Gladstone's, Tokyo Wako, Famous Dave's BBQ, Yard House, Tequila Jack's, Shenanigans, Louisiana Charlie's, and Parker's Lighthouse are all along the waterfront between the Aquarium and Shoreline Village. Islands and CPK are across the street from those at the Pike. Or you could head up Pine Avenue to Rock Bottom, King's Fish House, Pier 76 and a whole bunch more.

You can visit the Aquarium (right across the bridge) or the Queen Mary (virtually next door to the Maya) if you have extra time. Your vacation starts as soon as you arrive. Have fun.

You make me laugh! Fairbanks is one very expensive place. $16 burgers are the norm. My friends do not want anything fancy and I am simply trying to see if there is anything out there that might suit their needs for their 4 night cruise... Not necessarily looking for opinions on comfort.

No one is talking about fancy, they are talking about safe. Long Beach gets very rough just a few blocks north of Downtown. Golden Sails is a good area, but by the time you get done with transportation to the port you take away the benefit of the low cost.

• 3 weeks later...