Jolly Beach or Darkwood Beach?

chamima

We're looking for a quiet, beautiful beach with crystal clear water.

Snorkeling would be a plus but not necessary.

We've been to Darkwood and it's definitely quiet and beautiful but people were talking about a big dropoff and undertow so never went very far into the water.

Has anyone been to both and can compare?

We've been to Darkwood and it's definitely quiet and beautiful but people were talking about a big dropoff and undertow so never went very far into the water.

Has anyone been to both and can compare?[/quote

If your wish is to be quiet, no throngs, a gentle sea, opportunity to swim, very comfortable loungers etc, in an oasis of genteel class, then neither.

Just go directly to Jacqui O's on the beach, have lunch and afternoon cocktails with a magnificent view. Enjoy:)

I googled it too. Not exactly what we are looking for either.

We plan to go to Jolly Beach based on suggestions here and after looking at pictures/videos on Google and YouTube.

It looks like that's what we're doing, also.

We sail in Feb. so I'll post on here to let you know how they compare.

If you want something FABULOUS to eat (AND if you like spicy curry) get a Roti from Roti King in downtown St. Johns before or after your beach day!

(You don't need directions, just ask anyone on the street.) Then ask directions to the bus station on Market Street and take the 20 or 22 to Jolly Beach.

I googled it too. Not exactly what we are looking for either.

We plan to go to Jolly Beach based on suggestions here and after looking at pictures/videos on Google and YouTube.

If your preference is Jolly Beach, it still a little 'busy', but do not forget to purchase your Day Pass in advance., so not to be dissapointed. Think it is still around $70/75.00 each. Have a great day

Thanks Chamima and Port Royal. We will probably hang out at Castaways on Jolly Beach. My DH will want to check out Roti King too.:)

We're not buying the day pass, either.

We'll have our Rotis and ginger beer from Roti King.

If someone is renting beach chairs that'll be nice - otherwise we'll sit on our beach towels.

• 2 weeks later...

PORT ROYAL,

Does one need to make a reservation for lunch at Jacqui O's? What is the cost to rent a lounge chair and umbrella? Do they serve food and drink on the beach? Is there snorkeling? Can you rent the equipment?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to both and can compare?

We were at Darkwood in Nov. and there was a very small drop off, no undertow at all! We loved it. It was the best, most relaxing beach I have ever been to! Even my 7 y.o. had a blast!

DSC04997_zpsaaa51dcf.jpg

DSC05044_zps0522fe42.jpg

DSC05060_zps65c6fbd0.jpg

DSC05037_zps13a549e6.jpg

Edited by loveysbydesign

We were at Darkwood in Nov. and there was a very small drop off, no undertow at all! We loved it. It was the best, most relaxing beach I have ever been to! Even my 7 y.o. had a blast!

How did you get to Darkwood and back to the ship?

How did you get to Darkwood and back to the ship?

We walked to the bus station and took bus #22. It cost $1.50 pp each way. Bravo was our driver and he was super friendly and helpful.

Also check out my trip report, I have more pics... i think around page 13 or so ;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2131180

We walked to the bus station and took bus #22. It cost $1.50 pp each way. Bravo was our driver and he was super friendly and helpful.

Also check out my trip report, I have more pics... i think around page 13 or so ;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2131180

Thank you for the info, your review as very helpful! Can you by chance give a rough idea of the food and drink prices so we know how much cash to bring?

Edited by gms5002

Thank you for the info, your review as very helpful! Can you by chance give a rough idea of the food and drink prices so we know how much cash to bring?

I honestly do not remember how much it cost. I think it was around $60-65 for the 5 of us, hubby got 2 beers and I got one drink of the day. I had pizza that I shared with my daughter, my one son had chicken strips, we all shared conch fritters, hubby had lobster roll and little guy had cheeseburger.

The menu is listed here if you scroll down a bit https://www.facebook.com/DarkwoodBBR

and you can actually message Shelmore the manager through FB and he will usually answer any questions you have ;)

Shame on me for not snapping any pics. of the menu!

• 2 months later...

We still had not decided which beach to go to when we docked in Antigua. While walking to the bus station, we stopped in a shop to buy some ice and drinks to put in our cooler. The manager in the store recommended Darkwood or VCB. He preferred Darkwood, so that is what we chose.

We were so glad we did! The beach was beautiful with amazing, brilliant blue water!! Best of all, even with 4 ships in port, it was not crowded-- so relaxing. We got two loungers and a bucket of beer for $20-- sure made my DH happy. Food and other drinks were reasonably priced too.

Thank you Loveysbydesign and 2PinaColadas for the info and great review. We've been to Antiqua twice before. Once we did the Segway tour and the last time we went to Valley Church Beach

I wanted to try a different beach this time and was thinking of trying Darkwood. Well your review and pictures helped make the decision easy.

Now, the hard part is waiting almost a year. :(

Edited by ValerieJo

• 2 weeks later...
Going to Darkwood's website says there are NO public restrooms!!! Also, little shade so bring your own beach umbrella...well on a cruise that's a bit difficult. Any other ideas?

There are (VERY rustic!!!) restrooms attached to the restaurant. I don't think the door locked so you might want to ask a friend to stand out front. Also, I don't think the water in the sink worked so bring hand sanitizer. (I did say very rustic)

As far as shade, you could rent a lounger from the restaurant and there was a long (VERY long ) awning that most of the loungers were under.

A user's photo.photo.php?fbid=10203868454302909&set=a.10200646609998815.1073741825.1567310222&type=11073

DarkwoodBeachAntigua.jpg.8e44ad83d710726e59184fe1791966a6.jpg

Edited by chamima

Going to Darkwood's website says there are NO public restrooms!!! Also, little shade so bring your own beach umbrella...well on a cruise that's a bit difficult. Any other ideas?

There are 2-3 restrooms. they have working toilets/water and are big enough to change in if you need to. There is shade if you rent loungers under the canopy/awning. The restaurant also has shaded seating.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how much a taxi is from the cruise port to Darkwood Beach? I've read about the bus system, but am curious to know how much a taxi to and back from the beach might run for 4 people.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know how much a taxi is from the cruise port to Darkwood Beach? I've read about the bus system, but am curious to know how much a taxi to and back from the beach might run for 4 people.

Thank you!

I checked the Antigua website and there is a page of flat rate taxi fares, just not sure how up to date it is....

• 3 weeks later...
If your preference is Jolly Beach, it still a little 'busy', but do not forget to purchase your Day Pass in advance., so not to be dissapointed. Think it is still around $70/75.00 each. Have a great day

we went to jolly beach resort twice last month on day passes and it was not busy at all. it was like your beach chairs and umbrella and then 30 feet away was the next people all down the beach, it was like your private oasis. loved it so much we went back the second time. we took 40 people with us from the ship and it was still not at all busy

So Darkwood is suitable for children?

I originally had down Vallley Church, Jolly Beach and Ffryers beach and now come across Darkwood. Looks like we can catch the #22 bus for all of them?

My mum has mobility problems so I am wondering if she will manage the walk to the bus station, that saying my daughter still needs a buggy/wheel chair so she can push that, can we collapse that for the bus?