Question regarding the muster(ard) drill

elycelynne

It's bad enough that we all have to stand around packed like sardines at our lifeboat stations. My question is: Why can't they take attendance by having passengers check in with the clipboard person when they arrive at their stations as opposed to the way they do it now? It seems to me that it would be quicker and more efficient that way.

Does anyone know the rhyme or reason?

It's bad enough that we all have to stand around packed like sardines at our lifeboat stations. My question is: Why can't they take attendance by having passengers check in with the clipboard person when they arrive at their stations as opposed to the way they do it now? It seems to me that it would be quicker and more efficient that way.

In our experience, we have checked in with the person holding the clipboard when we arrived at the muster location. Then they called those numbers that haven't check in once the drill starts.

I think the problem arises when there are cruisers who don't know to check in when arriving (or arrive too close to the start of the drill), and just join the group standing next to the bulkhead.

Edited by Shmoo here

We always check in with lifeboat commander when we arrive at the drill. Don't you?

As soon as we arrive, we go immediately to him or he to us and our names are checked off.

On our last two cruises on HAL in May (Amsterdam and Zuiderdam), the crew at our station tried very hard to get everyone checked off the list as they approached them. However, we still had to wait until all stations had completed the checking in, before the instructions from the Bridge were given.

Like others have mentioned, I always check in with the Commander when I arrive. Then just have to wait for him to call numbers that have not.

Check in was actually easier when we had to wear the life vests as they had the cabin number on them. However, I am glad we no longer have to do that.

Already being done for a while and you have the option to do it yourself when you arrive at your station. FYI; HAL will be switching to electronic roll/muster taking in the near future!

Edited by Copper10-8

On our Nieuw Amsterdam cruises, the person with the clip board wouldn't start to call cabin numbers and names until he saw what appeared to be the majority of us there. Takes quite a while to get through the list. The drill was over -- via horn -- and he had not called all cabins.

Maybe it was just an aberration on my last cruise at my particular station, but there was nobody with a clipboard when we arrived and they waited until we were all assembled and then started calling out EVERY cabin number in our station and we all had to say "here".

I'm so glad that they're going to an electronic system. Copper, any idea as to when that will be implemented?

Already being done for a while and you have the option to do it yourself when you arrive at your station. FYI; HAL will be switching to electronic roll/muster taking in the near future!

Thanks Copper. That is good news. :)

When I sit comfortably indoors at my muster station and watch a Celebrity audio-visual presentation that I can fully see and hear, I can't help but feel that HAL needs to rethink its approach. Checking in is only one of several shortcomings with the existing system.

I heard something about that on our last cruise. Anything that makes it more efficient is ok with me.

We always check in with the crew member holding the clipboard.

What HAL really needs to do is start scanning key cards as many other lines already do. It really speeds up the process.

Any hints if they'll follow the rat of Carnival and move muster indoors?

I don't ever remember reporting to the safety drill without checking in with the "clipboard" crew member upon arrival. Then we wait for those who don't feel it necessary to be on time - or to be silent! Some with drinks in hand act like they really don't understand why the bartender just threw them out. :eek:

I remember reading on here quite some time ago that the system is being changed to an electronic key card check-in, and Captain Albert blogged about it too. It's certainly more efficient.

I remember that too. It seemed to disappear. Hopefully this time it will stick.

OP, I always get my name checked off the clipboard.

That's good to know. That's how Princess does it - it works really well.

This past Feb on the Noordam the boat commander with the clipboard refused to take anyone's name/room number when arriving for the drill. We had to wait until most all people were present and then he called of the names. In all the previous HAL cruises we checked in when we arrived at the station and things went much faster. Looking forward to the electronic check in.

This past Feb on the Noordam the boat commander with the clipboard refused to take anyone's name/room number when arriving for the drill. We had to wait until most all people were present and then he called of the names. In all the previous HAL cruises we checked in when we arrived at the station and things went much faster. Looking forward to the electronic check in.

THANK YOU for confirming that this procedure on the Noordam wasn't a figment of my imagination. (I already knew it wasn't, but maybe now you all won't think that I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm just plain nuts.) :rolleyes: