Holland America: Should you order wine package, liquor or packages before boarding?

catlet

We are new to Holland America and are taking the Zaandam Alaska cruise June 24th. They allow you to pre-order wine packages, liquor for delivery to room and Anniversary packages. Does this save money? Can we also order these once we have boarded? They also list a soda card. When we cruised on Princess and bought the soda package they refill your thermos bottle for the duration of the cruise. Do they have a similar system?

There is no price difference whether you pre-order or order once on the ship.

A few people have been disappointed with the wine packages. When they went to order the packages -- some of the wines were not available. So -- best to wait until you are on the ship and ask what wines your ship has.

We do pre-order alcohol for the cabin. And if we run out -- we just call room service to order another bottle.

Information on Beverage cards:

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $95.00 ($5 Savings)

$250 Beverage Card cost $225 ($25 Savings)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can.

We are new to Holland America and are taking the Zaandam Alaska cruise June 24th. They allow you to pre-order wine packages, liquor for delivery to room and Anniversary packages. Does this save money? Can we also order these once we have boarded? They also list a soda card. When we cruised on Princess and bought the soda package they refill your thermos bottle for the duration of the cruise. Do they have a similar system?

The one thing that is really nice about Holland America - they will allow you to bring your own wine on board - as long as it is consumed in your cabin. If you have to have it opened by a wine steward, HAL will charge you a corkage fee. We paid $18.00 on our first cruise but have since learned to stick an inexpensive one in our luggage.

The soda cards purchase cans of soda with a glass of ice. Should you have thermos' - I presume you would purchase the number of cans that would be needed to fill it for the day.

Whichever way you decide to go - have a great cruise.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Smile - :D - it will confuse an oncoming frown.

Edited by Okie1946

Our next cruise will be to the Med and that requires a flight so can't take something with us and will order the liquor for the cabin. HAL actually has great prices compared to other lines, we did Carnival this year and they were outrageous.

The only advantage is if you want something in cabin when you arrive (but order delivery at sea to avoid any potential tax - it will still be in your cabin 99.99% of the time ). the other advantage is if you are as foolish as me - I like to have a few things paid for before I get on board so I don't have too much on board charge shock;)

But there is no discount to order early versus being onboard.

This will be my first HAL cruise. The soda card on NCL is $50 and gives you UNLIMITED soda, but not cans...

Two versions ago, HAL also had an unlimited soda card. Some people ruined it for all by sharing one card among entire families---and beyond.

There is no price difference whether you pre-order or order once on the ship.

A few people have been disappointed with the wine packages. When they went to order the packages -- some of the wines were not available. So -- best to wait until you are on the ship and ask what wines your ship has.

We do pre-order alcohol for the cabin. And if we run out -- we just call room service to order another bottle.

Information on Beverage cards:

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $95.00 ($5 Savings)

$250 Beverage Card cost $225 ($25 Savings)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can.

Hello:

I am curious if you can use the Soda Card to pay for Soda ordered from Room Service?

Thanks!

Hello:

I am curious if you can use the Soda Card to pay for Soda ordered from Room Service?

Thanks!

I don't think so - but what you CAN do is use the soda in your 'fridge' and then replace it when you go to the bar by buying the replacements with your soda card. Or buy some - keep it in the room and just replace the cold ones in the fridge:)

We always order a bottle of Bailey's ahead of time for in the cabin. We take a few bottles of favorite wine with us - sometimes we'll take one to dinner & pay the corkage - otherwise we use them in the cabin. I like to try new wines at dinner. We wait till we board to buy the soda card.

I agree with others. Wait and order your wine package while on board. There you will know which wines are still available, and what might be substituted. Sometimes they will substitute for a no longer available wine and sometimes they won't.

Do these pre-orders count towards credit for Mariner Society sailing days?

Yes. Mariner sailing days are based on expenses attributed to your booking number. The expense does not have to be incurred while on board.

• 1 year later...
The one thing that is really nice about Holland America - they will allow you to bring your own wine on board - as long as it is consumed in your cabin. If you have to have it opened by a wine steward, HAL will charge you a corkage fee. We paid $18.00 on our first cruise but have since learned to stick an inexpensive one in our luggage.

The soda cards purchase cans of soda with a glass of ice. Should you have thermos' - I presume you would purchase the number of cans that would be needed to fill it for the day.

Whichever way you decide to go - have a great cruise.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Smile - :D - it will confuse an oncoming frown.

I bolded your first sentence..

This was recently changed for all cruises starting end of January 2014..It is now only one bottle on embarkation on all cruises..Suggest you look at this thread, as it has garnered lots of postings & other threads about HAL's new wine policy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1890524

Many posters are hoping that the policy will be tweaked & that HAL will permit you to carry more than one bottle per cruise, which seems only fair..

Betty