Anyone else excited about Rio?

BBMacLaird

As a big fan of the Southern Cone countries, I'm excited about the Journey's upcoming visits to the coast of Brazil. Anyone else?

But if possible, your blog has only piqued my enthusiasm more! Many thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I'm doing the 7 February sailing on Journey--which includes Rio at Carnival [i'll be at the Sambadrome--probably in one of the box seats that Azamara is offering; not at all inexpensive but it is, as you note, a once in a lifetime experience!] and Buzios... And I'll continue on with the 19 February repositioning trip from Rio to Miami with additional port calls in Brazil at Salvador De Bahia, Recife, and Belem before stopping in French Guiana and the Caribbean in route to Florida... It's a "bucket list" itinerary and I'm really psyched about it!

Bonnie, would appreciate it if you would consider intervening with the Shore Ex Team in Miami relative to Land Discoveries that have been posted for these sailings... I can't be the only one who is confounded by the offerings and, though I don't know for certain, I strongly suspect that I'm not the only consecutive cruiser...

• I am strongly interested in doing the "Best Of Rio" excursion that is being offered on 16 February but am not certain that I want to tour for 7+ hours that day only to turn around and do the Carnival Parade--of at least equal and probably longer duration--that evening! Friends who attended the Sambadrome event in 2013 told me that they didn't get back from their very memorable evening until after 4:00 AM!
  • No Land Discoveries are being offered on 17 February despite the fact that Journey doesn't sail--for Buzios--until 10:00 PM... On the one hand, I understand that many guests will need to recharge from the night before... On the other, it seems to me that the same tour [or some tours] could be offered--with a mid-morning rather than early-morning start time--and still get back to the ship with hours to spare before sail-away...
  • Or alternatively... The same "Best Of Rio" tour is being offered, with airport drop off, following disembarkation on 19 February... My research suggests that the airport is 12 miles or more from Pier Mauá [i assume that's where we'll be; I can no longer find the handy list of embarkation/disembarkation port names/addresses that used to appear on Azamara's website] and that the only viable transportation option between the two is a taxi on top of the $250 tour cost... It would be helpful, at least for those of us who are sailing back-to-back, if a secondary drop off were scheduled back at the ship...
  • And finally, you mentioned the Scenarium [very cool concept!] in your blog... Inexplicably, that appears as a 19 February offering for the 7 February cruise... It's attractive for people like me who are continuing on but I suspect that a majority of guests on the 7 February sailing will have disembarked more than twelve hours prior to tour start time... Ironically, the Scenarium excursion is not offered--nothing is--as an option for those embarking 19 February for the subsequent cruise... Given its 9:00 PM start time and given that Journey doesn't depart Rio until 1:00 PM on 20 February, it seems to me that Azamara is missing its prime potential audience; embarking guests have no way to know of the opportunity!

As I write, I can't help but think of the expression that "no good deed [and your blog is a good deed] goes unpunished"... I'm sorry about mentioning the Land Discoveries issues that I've surfaced/asking for your intercession but hope that you understand the constructive spirit with which my comments are intended... I strongly suspect that some rework is in order, that it will be appreciated by many, and that it will likely benefit Azamara in their excursion marketing/revenues...

Had Azamara's Land Discoveries for these trips been posted--I expected more and I expected better scheduling with so much time in Rio--when I purchased my flight via Choice Air, I'd have likely scheduled my arrival earlier so as to tour Rio independently before boarding the ship on 7 February... Given the opportunity, I sincerely doubt that is Azamara's preference/intent...

Many thanks... I'd planned to write to Shore Ex soon [actually, I'm awaiting response from them now in the context of an issue I posed to them in the context of my October Canada/New England cruise on Celebrity] but suspect you might have a bit more influence/clout in getting the Team to give further thought to the situations I've mentioned above... For me, it's all about Destination Immersion...

--Mike

Edited by Xport

Well, our cruise is not on your list, but, hopefully, the 22 December 2014 cruise will be nice also. ;)The fireworks show off of Copacabana Beach sounds great. :)

Well, our cruise is not on your list, but, hopefully, the 22 December 2014 cruise will be nice also. ;)The fireworks show off of Copacabana Beach sounds great. :)

Mind blowing event. 12 or so ships in harbor and we had the best view. you could hear people on the beach. we anchored early to get our spot.

For tose of you doing carnival do not rush around all day- we arrived at the event around 730 to 8 and i got back at 6 am. .had a snack and slept in.. everything is tired hte next day. .many of the crew are out half the night enjoying the floats etc.

i think i sat in terminal usiing my ipad along with many others.

texed yuo gto great ports.

Was in RIO couple of years back and absolutely loved it. Stayed at the JW Marriott on Copacobana Beach before Star Princess cruise around the Horn.

Just a few random thoughts. Even non Carnival time the beach area and the roads of the city were AWFUL! Tiny little roads and thousands of insane drivers. Private guide was invaluable as he knew where to cut back to a shopping street etc. Literally hard to move about in car or on foot.

Watch the heat. I was always on the verge of heat exhaustion -- carry your own water supply. On the other end:p our guide said there were absolutely no bathrooms for the Carnival activities -- be prepared astronaut style!

Unless the port area has been redone (this was in the works 2 years ago but absolutely nothing had started) it is a nightmare to get to. Small road in and out. Star Princess won the lottery that day and had the first berth in port. We watched literally from our balcony with beverages in hand for 3 hours as people waited in the sun for transportation to their ship at the far end of the port. It was not a pretty scene and you will not know which of the berths you are in until the day of. Expect total mess and have water and umbrella for shade and wear light clothing. Just not any way to handle multiple cruise ships in that port area made in the 1800's . Suppose to be ready for Olympics but going to have to go through period of building too. Not a downer -- just a note to prepare you.

Mind blowing event. 12 or so ships in harbor and we had the best view. you could hear people on the beach. we anchored early to get our spot.

texed yuo gto great ports.

Sounds great. :)

Many thanks for sharing your insights about visting Rio and attending the Carnival event at the Sambadrome... You can be sure that I'll remember each and every bit of it during my time there next February!

Barbara and Walter... Hope that you enjoyed your time at The Marriott At Copacabana Beach... It looks like a terrific hotel and is the one I've reserved for my pre-cruise stay in Rio...

Bonnie... Based upon Robin's experience in attending the Carnival parade, it would appear--and I suspected so; I just didn't realize that the late night marathon is actually an all-night marathon!--my request that you inquire with Shore Ex about adding mid-morning tours on 17 February is ill-advised... I would however still truly appreciate--and suspect that other consecutive cruisers would too--if you would ask the Team about the feasibility of adding a ship drop-off [in addition to the airport drop-off advertised] to the 19 February "Best Of Rio" Land Discovery that is available for purchase...

Thanks to all!

--Mike

Edited by Xport

First off there are bathrooms there!!! i used them all. There will be a line and they are not great but they are there.

Also food and drink-in 2012 there were only burgers and more burgers.. saw peoel bring in snacks-fruirt and muffins.. you could bring in protein bars from home etc.. I brought nothing.. so can home had muffins and then slept.

There are 6 schools preforming both nights. after the second school you can bus back to ship. After every 2 schools buses went back to port. .the ship take you there on buses. leaving all buses for the port are fro al lships. .so you only need to find a bus saying port. plenty of help out there. just yell port and they will point you to one of many buses.

The place is crazy but fun.

Not of lover of Rio but thy do throw a good party.

Many thanks for sharing your insights about visting Rio and attending the Carnival event at the Sambadrome... You can be sure that I'll remember each and every bit of it during my time there next February!

Barbara and Walter... Hope that you enjoyed your time at The Marriott At Copacabana Beach... It looks like a terrific hotel and is the one I've reserved for my pre-cruise stay in Rio...

Bonnie... Based upon Robin's experience in attending the Carnival parade, it would appear--and I suspected so; I just didn't realize that the late night marathon is actually an all-night marathon!--my request that you inquire with Shore Ex about adding mid-morning tours on 17 February is ill-advised... I would however still truly appreciate--and suspect that other consecutive cruisers would too--if you would ask the Team about the feasibility of adding a ship drop-off [in addition to the airport drop-off advertised] to the 19 February "Best Of Rio" Land Discovery that is available for purchase...

Thanks to all!

--Mike

Hi Xsport ~

I apologize for the delay in responding. I was on various planes Wednesday, got the requisite plane head-cold, spent 4th of July with family, and now, here I am, back on-line :)

It's either the head-cold or the multi-bulleted post of the other day + today's, but I'm not 100% on what it is you want me to ask of the Shorex Dept?

Would you mind summarizing your queries & suggestions again, and I'll send them off to HQ. I won't expect an answer until probably mid-week.

Bonnie

It's either the head-cold or the multi-bulleted post of the other day + today's, but I'm not 100% on what it is you want me to ask of the Shorex Dept? Would you mind summarizing your queries & suggestions again, and I'll send them off to HQ. I won't expect an answer until probably mid-week.

Bonnie...

Thank you for your follow-up... I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well but truly hope that it is your head cold--and not the clarity of my writing; people tend to compliment my communication skills--that causes uncertainty about my observations/requests...

I've identified one instance in which I think that a Land Discovery offering could be restructured to the benefit/enjoyment of guests... And I have discovered a second that, at a minimum, appears to have been improperly posted...

Let's try again... Unfortunately, I think my observations are best conveyed via bullet points but I'll attempt to restructure/simplify them...

Best Of Rio

• This tour is seemingly being offered twice during the 7 February sailing....
  • On 16 February [RJ42; $299] departing at 8:00 AM, lasting 8 hours, and returning to the pier...
  • On 19 February [RJ71; $275] departing at 7:30 AM, lasting 8.5 hours, with drop off at the airport [it's disembarkation day for many]...
  • The Rio Carnival Samba Parade excursions [RJ 53 and RJ54; $1789 for box seats and $549 for grandstand seats respectively] are also being offered on 16 February with departure at 7:30 PM and lasting 6.5 hours though it is widely reported--here by Robin, I've heard the same thing from friends--that the event can/does last far longer...
  • I am all about destination immersion, am a robust traveler, and want to do both but can't see myself touring from 8:00 AM on 16 February until 6:30 AM or so the next morning... In combination, the two Land Discoveries approach a 24 hour marathon!
  • My suggestion/request is that the 19 February offering of this tour--RJ71--be recast to include a second drop-off at the pier [so as to avoid a taxi adventure] as an accommodation for those of us who are consecutive cruisers... In addition, it seems to me that a pier drop-off option could appeal to guests who disembark on 19 February but who will be staying on in Rio post-cruise at a hotel closer to the pier than to the airport [seemingly, luggage could be stored on the bus in either case]...

Nights And Cool Places: Live Music At The Rio Scenarium

• This Land Discovery offering [RJ72, $95] as posted departs at 9:00 PM on 19 February, lasts 3 hours, and returns to the pier...
  • It is offered as an option only for the 7 February sailing; though personally appealing as a consecutive cruiser, it strikes me as odd given that 19 February is disembarkation day for the 7 February sailing [many will have left the ship twelve or more hours earlier] and is embarkation day for the 19 February sailing...
  • For the 7 February sailing, it is listed as a tour offering on both the 16 February and 19 February tour web listings with a common 19 February date!
  • If it is being offered on 16 February as an alternative to the Carnival Parades, the date is wrong on the posting...
  • If it is being offered on 19 February as advertised--and I personally hope that it is--it should instead be listed as an option for the 19 February, rather than 7 February, cruise... The Land Discovery web listing for the latter cruise reports that no excursions are being offered on 19 February!
  • This post-dinner evening tour could easily be offered--and in my opinion, should be offered--to those embarking for the 19 February repositioning sailing to Miami; Journey does not depart Rio until 1:00 PM the next day... As posted, Azamara is missing its primary audience for this 19 February tour as only those who are doing the back-to-back know/potentially care that it is being offered... I don't want to see it cancelled--neither does Azamara--for lack of participation!

And so, with all due respect, I do not think that I am the one who has confounded this situation... I'm planning to visit Rio at Carnival to take in the whole experience in a fun/pleasurable way but Land Discovery logistics as published--and apparent errors--seem to defy that goal or, for that matter, rational explanation... I won't consider committing significant financial resources--something I'm willing to do for a cogent, meaningful experience--for purchase of tours as presented... And if closer to final payment date for these cruises with such matters first apparent and unresolved, I might just be inclined to cancel the whole thing...

My comments continue to be offered--with significant expenditure of personal time/effort [as I noted in my first post in different context, no good deed goes unpunished]--in a constructive spirit that influences both the quality of guest experience and Azamara's tour marketing/revenues... To my mind, the matter needs a second look...

Feel better soon... Once again, I do appreciate your intercession with Shore Ex to clarify/potentially improve their offerings to the benefit of multiple stakeholders...

--Mike

Bonnie...

Thank you for your follow-up... I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well but truly hope that it is your head cold--and not the clarity of my writing; people tend to compliment my communication skills--that causes uncertainty about my observations/requests...

I've identified one instance in which I think that a Land Discovery offering could be restructured to the benefit/enjoyment of guests... And I have discovered a second that, at a minimum, appears to have been improperly posted...

Let's try again... Unfortunately, I think my observations are best conveyed via bullet points but I'll attempt to restructure/simplify them...

Best Of Rio

• On 16 February [RJ42; $299] departing at 8:00 AM, lasting 8 hours, and returning to the pier...
  • On 19 February [RJ71; $275] departing at 7:30 AM, lasting 8.5 hours, with drop off at the airport [it's disembarkation day for many]...
  • The Rio Carnival Samba Parade excursions [RJ 53 and RJ54; $1789 for box seats and $549 for grandstand seats respectively] are also being offered on 16 February with departure at 7:30 PM and lasting 6.5 hours though it is widely reported--here by Robin, I've heard the same thing from friends--that the event can/does last far longer...
  • I am all about destination immersion, am a robust traveler, and want to do both but can't see myself touring from 8:00 AM on 16 February until 6:30 AM or so the next morning... In combination, the two Land Discoveries approach a 24 hour marathon!
  • My suggestion/request is that the 19 February offering of this tour--RJ71--be recast to include a second drop-off at the pier [so as to avoid a taxi adventure] as an accommodation for those of us who are consecutive cruisers... In addition, it seems to me that a pier drop-off option could appeal to guests who disembark on 19 February but who will be staying on in Rio post-cruise at a hotel closer to the pier than to the airport [seemingly, luggage could be stored on the bus in either case]...

• This Land Discovery offering [RJ72, $95] as posted departs at 9:00 PM on 19 February, lasts 3 hours, and returns to the pier...
  • It is offered as an option only for the 7 February sailing; though personally appealing as a consecutive cruiser, it strikes me as odd given that 19 February is disembarkation day for the 7 February sailing [many will have left the ship twelve or more hours earlier] and is embarkation day for the 19 February sailing...
  • For the 7 February sailing, it is listed as a tour offering on both the 16 February and 19 February tour web listings with a common 19 February date!
  • If it is being offered on 16 February as an alternative to the Carnival Parades, the date is wrong on the posting...
  • If it is being offered on 19 February as advertised--and I personally hope that it is--it should instead be listed as an option for the 19 February, rather than 7 February, cruise... The Land Discovery web listing for the latter cruise reports that no excursions are being offered on 19 February!
  • This post-dinner evening tour could easily be offered--and in my opinion, should be offered--to those embarking for the 19 February repositioning sailing to Miami; Journey does not depart Rio until 1:00 PM the next day... As posted, Azamara is missing its primary audience for this 19 February tour as only those who are doing the back-to-back know/potentially care that it is being offered... I don't want to see it cancelled--neither does Azamara--for lack of participation!

And so, with all due respect, I do not think that I am the one who has confounded this situation... I'm planning to visit Rio at Carnival to take in the whole experience in a fun/pleasurable way but Land Discovery logistics as published--and apparent errors--seem to defy that goal or, for that matter, rational explanation... I won't consider committing significant financial resources--something I'm willing to do for a cogent, meaningful experience--for purchase of tours as presented... And if closer to final payment date for these cruises with such matters first apparent and unresolved, I might just be inclined to cancel the whole thing...

My comments continue to be offered--with significant expenditure of personal time/effort [as I noted in my first post in different context, no good deed goes unpunished]--in a constructive spirit that influences both the quality of guest experience and Azamara's tour marketing/revenues... To my mind, the matter needs a second look...

Feel better soon... Once again, I do appreciate your intercession with Shore Ex to clarify/potentially improve their offerings to the benefit of multiple stakeholders...

--Mike

Thank you Xport (Mike). It all makes sense to me now. Your suggestions are great. I will forward to our Shorex Dept and try to get you an answer a.s.a.p.

p.s. I didn't mean to imply you weren't originally clear. Just that I originally hadn't understood what you were suggesting. Now I see the light.

I am Robin. The Carnival starts at 9 pm and ends about 6 am with buses going all night.. most people-all ships- do ont make thru the 6th school. If I had been smart I would of come bac kto ship aroubd 3 am... a 6.5 tour makes no sense as you would be leaving after the 3d school.

Also there was an all day tour in 2012 with drop off to the pier. i was part of a group or taxi over to airport.

In Rio they tend to repert tours in Rio.. i saw the Christ twice and a few other things

Bonnie...

Best Of Rio

--Mike

Hello Mike,

I have received acknowledgement from the Shorex Dept that they are looking into this for you. They'll revert answer soon.

bb

Bonnie...

Best Of Rio

--Mike

Hi Mike,

Your second wish has been fulfilled. The Live Music at the Rio Scenarium will be offered on 2/19 and is now associated with that voyage. (Note: it will not be offered on 2/16 since it would be a conflict with Carnival.)

Thanks for calling our attention to this.

Now, let's wait and see what they come back with on the port drop-off you've suggested for the Best of Rio tour. From what I've overheard, they've sent a request off to the tour operator in Rio and are waiting for a response.

bb

Your second wish has been fulfilled. The Live Music at the Rio Scenarium will be offered on 2/19 and is now associated with that voyage. (Note: it will not be offered on 2/16 since it would be a conflict with Carnival.)

Thanks for calling our attention to this.

Wow, that was quick! Many thanks for having advanced my observations/thoughts to Shore Ex...

This revision makes a whole lot of sense and I will most assuredly attend the Scenarium event; it sounds--as advertised--like a "cool place" and a fun evening!

Will keep my fingers crossed as to the pier drop-off option for the Best Of Rio tour on 19 February...

Glad to have helped...

--Mike

Edited by Xport

Hi Bonnie

Loved your blog about Rio de Janeiro, and can't wait to be back on board Journey for the TA leaving Malaga at the of November.

I have one question that does frustrate me (and no doubt others) in relation to the cost of two of the shore excursions.

The two shore excursions are RJ42 (Best of Rio with Churrascaria lunch) priced at £88, and RJ71 (Best of Rio with Churrascaria lunch and airport drop) priced at £221

The tour with the airport drop lasts 30 minutes longer which is probably understandable.

My concern I have is the price differential, in Sterling it is £133 or USD at today's rate $227 for the airport drop!

How can this price differential be justified? I can understand extra baggage handling and 30 minutes extra on board a coach, but $227 is 10% of the price of the cruise.

If the price increase was $50 -$75 it is within reason, though I fear someone was heavy handed with their fingers on the calculator.

One of my considerations is to leave the ship very early, taxi to the airport, drop the bags in left luggage and taxi back to the ship for the £88 tour, and taxi back to the airport after the tour concludes.

I am concerned how these two tours are priced so differently.

The two shore excursions are RJ42 (Best of Rio with Churrascaria lunch) priced at £88, and RJ71 (Best of Rio with Churrascaria lunch and airport drop) priced at £221

The tour with the airport drop lasts 30 minutes longer which is probably understandable.

My concern I have is the price differential, in Sterling it is £133 or USD at today's rate $227 for the airport drop!

How can this price differential be justified? I can understand extra baggage handling and 30 minutes extra on board a coach, but $227 is 10% of the price of the cruise.

That I cited the US prices for both tours--admittedly for February 2015--in one of my more recent posts above...

The dollar differential between the two is $ US 25 with the airport drop-off version actually being the less expensive--despite being 30 minutes longer-- of the two...

My guess is that there's an error in play on the UK website...

That I cited the US prices for both tours--admittedly for February 2015--in one of my more recent posts above...

The dollar differential between the two is $ US 25 with the airport drop-off version actually being the less expensive--despite being 30 minutes longer-- of the two...

My guess is that there's an error in play on the UK website...

Xport, I have checked the prices on the US site and they are $149 and $375 respectively. Still an outrageous premium for an airport drop off.

Hi Bonnie

Loved your blog about Rio de Janeiro, and can't wait to be back on board Journey for the TA leaving Malaga at the of November.

I have one question that does frustrate me (and no doubt others) in relation to the cost of two of the shore excursions.

If the price increase was $50 -$75 it is within reason, though I fear someone was heavy handed with their fingers on the calculator.

One of my considerations is to leave the ship very early, taxi to the airport, drop the bags in left luggage and taxi back to the ship for the £88 tour, and taxi back to the airport after the tour concludes.

I am concerned how these two tours are priced so differently.

Hmmm, it does seem wrong, as you and Xport point out. I'll forward this to the UK MD and have his team look into it for you.

Bonnie

Xport, I have checked the prices on the US site and they are $149 and $375 respectively. Still an outrageous premium for an airport drop off.

Dylandude, in that case, there is something more going on between the tours being offered on your cruise in November 2014 and mine that commences on 7 February 2015... Bonnie, something does seem amiss; thanks for looking into it...

The tour numbers are the same, the tour titles are the same [all include a Churrascaria lunch], the tour durations are the same, and I suspect--but don't know; I can't access the Land Discovery listings for Dylandude's sailing date--that the tour descriptions and content are otherwise same... The only thing that would seemingly differ are the dates on which each of the respective tours is being offered...

The US prices that I cited above were correct when I posted them several days ago and, as of a few moment ago--I just verified my citations--are unchanged... The 8 hour version with pier drop-off--offered on 16 February during my sailing--is priced at US$ 299... The 8.5 hour version with airport drop-off--offered on 19 February during my sailing--is priced at US$ 275...

In February, the price differential between the two offerings is $US 24...

Edited by Xport

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm, it does seem wrong, as you and Xport point out. I'll forward this to the UK MD and have his team look into it for you.

Bonnie

Just wondering if you have had any responses from the UK MD about this bizarre price discrepancy.

The pricing has been corrected on those tours. Thank you so much for calling our attention to this error. And thank you for being patient waiting for this correction.

Below is the memo I received:

Hi Bonnie,

We just confirmed that due to a system error, the pricing the guest was seeing in the UK was indeed incorrect.

The product development team has addressed this and the correct pricing is now showing online and in the downloadable brochures.

Below is the correct pricing if you'd like to add it in to your response:

The correct price for RJ42 Best of Rio with Churrascaria Lunch is GBP 109.25 per adult / GBP 76.25 per child.

The correct price for RJ71 Best of Rio with Churrascaria Lunch (Ends at the Airport) is GBP 111.50 per adult / GBP 79.75 per child.