Seabourn caribbean voyage with small children

starcraft

Hello, we are passionate cruisers with a high Cunard loyality status. But in 2015 (january) we would like to take a 14 days caribbean voyage onboard Seabourn legend with our small daughter. She will be uner 2 years of age. I heard once that children have to pay 50% when travelling as a third person. I also heard that they will be free of charge.

Can you give me further information? I as well need a good TA.

Hope to hear from you.

Thank you

Will you be bringing a Nanny ?

I ask this as I really don't think the small Seabourn ships are suitable for such a small child. I don't think they have highchairs available in the dining areas (but could be wrong, someone will know for sure). There really isn't any suitable space to let a toddler romp around in without constant supervision.

I'm sorry to be so negative. One of the Odyssey class ships might be a better option.

Edited by Flamin_June

I would urge you to do some research on other lines - Seabourn is genuinely not suitable for a small child. No baby-sitting, no early mealtimes, no playgroup/creche etc. You might end up having all your dinners in your suite, admittedly beautifully served course by course if you wish, rather than trying to dine in the dining room after 7 p.m.with a little one who might well get rather tired, bored and even noisy.

I would think all of you would have more fun if you were on a family-friendly line.

Seconding what the two previous posters are saying, SB is only really suitable for an older child, if that. There are more suitable lines with things for kids to do. Even odyssey class ships are devoid of kids clubs/activities.

I would go as a couple or wait until she is grown up for a Seabourn trip.

Yes StarCraft...your pricing questions are probably most correctly answered either by SB or a good TA.

With an 'under two', I am assuming that she will be with you all of the time. If I recall correctly there is no shallow end to the pool on Legend [and very little on the larger ships]. However, Caribbean ports will lend themselves to beach days. Other than that, you will need to decide if your interests, meal times, evening arrangements [ Can you hire staff to babysit and at what price point?], etc will work for you. The ship offers little for young children. Of course, under twos are often as amused with a straw or a plastic glass to bang as with a 'toy'.

Forget no shallow end of the pool --- young ones still in diapers are not allowed in the pool or spas period.On one of our Quest cruises parents went in the pool and spa holding a little one and dipping her in now and then. They were given a stern warning by a senior crew member but of of course the damage was done. They had to drain and sanitize the pool and spa.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you do decide to sail on the Legend with a two year old, and I hope you don't for your sake, remember that you will never be free of your child, will have to adjust your schedule to fit hers. This means you will not be able to enjoy anything Seabourn offers like nice dinners, evening entertainment, etc. Much wiser to wait until your child is older. In the meantime the larger ships like Cunard offer a much better experience.

Paula,

Not that I have experienced it but the other end could be problematic too--- imagine you are enjoying a nice afternoon libation and the Sky Bar and the little one nearby starts wailing because it is nap time. No , not good for the wee one, not good for the parents and not good for fellow passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a Diamond World Club lifetime Cunard sailor, I have to agree that the small Seabourn Legend is not for little children. I was raised on Cunard Transatlantics where there are facilities for small to teen children and staff to entertain them when Mom & Dad want a break. On the small Legend with no staff to care for your child, the rest of us are forced to participate in the care/entertainment of your little one in some degree or other. I, personally, would not appreciate that. You can, of course, "legally" take your child on board. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should.

Starcraft, I'm going to be honest with you. I sail on both Seabourn and Cunard frequently. When my daughter is with us we always sail on Cunard, when she is with Gran and Papa we sail on Seabourn. I prefer Seabourn but it's really NOT for small children. There is no children's program and the dining room is not a good place for small children. If you can't have a single relaxing adult dinner AND there are not toys etc for your child it's not really a a great vacation for you or your child. Cunard on the the other hand is WONDERFUL for children. I feel no need to take my child on a Disney cruise because the nursery nurses/camp counselors on Cunard provide lots of entertainment for kids. I'm happy to elaborate more if you want to send me an email at my screen name @yahoo.com

One caveat, I believe Cunard changed their policy and will no longer care for kids under 2 at night. When my daughter was 18 months we took her on her first transatlantic and the nursery nurses took care of her at night in the crib room but I believe that is no more and kids have to be 2 to be in the evening program.

Starcraft, I'm going to be honest with you. I sail on both Seabourn and Cunard frequently. When my daughter is with us we always sail on Cunard, when she is with Gran and Papa we sail on Seabourn. I prefer Seabourn but it's really NOT for small children. There is no children's program and the dining room is not a good place for small children. If you can't have a single relaxing adult dinner AND there are not toys etc for your child it's not really a a great vacation for you or your child. Cunard on the the other hand is WONDERFUL for children. I feel no need to take my child on a Disney cruise because the nursery nurses/camp counselors on Cunard provide lots of entertainment for kids. I'm happy to elaborate more if you want to send me an email at my screen name @yahoo.com

One caveat, I believe Cunard changed their policy and will no longer care for kids under 2 at night. When my daughter was 18 months we took her on her first transatlantic and the nursery nurses took care of her at night in the crib room but I believe that is no more and kids have to be 2 to be in the evening program.

I believe you might still be able on Cunard to hire crew to babysit in your cabin but then it has been a long time since I had the need.:eek::D

Thank you very much for all your replies. I never thought getting so much information.

I definitely have to to think about it. But on the other end I know my daughter very well. She is well travelled in her small age. On her first birthday she had a naming ceremony onboard QE, then there was the Captains reception followed by a perfect dinner in the Verandah. After all one ore two songs in the Yachtclub. Off to bed because we (the parents) were tired.

She behaves very well, but indeed I have to think about it.

Thank you

Edited by starcraft

starcraft - I think everyone on this board has tried to be helpful and kind - which does not always happen. By now you will have got the definite message that Seabourn cruisers do not think this line is suitable for small children, however well behaved and grown up, and again I would urge you to look elsewhere for a line - hopefully with ships which are not too large - where you and your small daughter would all have a good time, with no frowns from other passengers since she and you would have plenty of suitable options.

We have seen numerous young children onboard Seabourn, you obviously love your child and want to be with her, you can enjoy the Seabourn experience with your daughter no problem. There are high chairs available in the dining room and the crew will go out of their way to make sure your daughter is happy!! Maybe the pool and Jacuzzi are not suitable if she is still in nappies (diapers) but on a port intensive cruise it would be fine. As for there being no babysitting if you are like me you would not trust your daughter to strangers anyway! I think dinner in your suite on the nights your daughter is exhausted and in the dining room at 7pm when she is fine would work wonderfully!!! I think Seabourn is not as suitable for children who want to be independent as there are no child friendly programs but at 2 years old I wish I had found Seabourn to take our girls onboard!

We have seen numerous young children onboard Seabourn, you obviously love your child and want to be with her, you can enjoy the Seabourn experience with your daughter no problem. There are high chairs available in the dining room and the crew will go out of their way to make sure your daughter is happy!! Maybe the pool and Jacuzzi are not suitable if she is still in nappies (diapers) but on a port intensive cruise it would be fine. As for there being no babysitting if you are like me you would not trust your daughter to strangers anyway! I think dinner in your suite on the nights your daughter is exhausted and in the dining room at 7pm when she is fine would work wonderfully!!! I think Seabourn is not as suitable for children who want to be independent as there are no child friendly programs but at 2 years old I wish I had found Seabourn to take our girls onboard!

What ship had the high chairs in the restaurant?

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone