Poll: Do you bring food to your cabin

Kenlorz

Do you take food back to your cabin?  

664 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take food back to your cabin?

• Yes, I bring food back to my cabin and I'm not happy about this new policy
    • No, I don't bring food back to my cabin and I could care less about this new policy
    • Yes, I bring food back to my cabin, policy is no big deal. I'll just pay $7.95 for Room Service now

I don't think they have a plank to walk if we violate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehe, how about ...

got it ;)

$7.95 per violation plus 18% and a $5 administrative release fee :D

if you are "caught" red handed :eek: or get reported by a fellow pax :p

-

Seriously, one of our BIL/SIL is leaving in about 2 weeks to sail Alaska on NCL. They have not been "officially" informed by NCL via communications, and fully intend to play it dumb since members of their group have special needs - there WILL likely be interesting stories to tell when these elderly come back if they are "challenged" - Booked before these changes were rolled out but after final payment deadline, so cancellation for multiple cabins are not possible.

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 via Tapatalk

Yes, we bring coffee back in the morning, and sometimes some fruit or a donut for hubby. Nice on the balcony as we get ready to start the day. Before dinner we have often enjoyed wine or a beer either alone or with friends on the balcony, along with some cheese and bread or sushi from a buffet. Late at night sometimes my son or husband may bring back a sandwich or a piece of pizza. These are the small luxuries we enjoy when cruising.

So sad that Norwegian has done this... we are seriously considering cancelling our March break cruise. I was hoping it would be a trial balloon and they would quickly rescind the room service policy, but I can see it is just getting worse :-(. Looks like our first NCL cruise in June will be our last. Unfortunately, judging from most posts, this does not seem to be a company that cares what their clients want in a cruise. As others have pointed out, this just leaves a bad taste in the mouth!

What is the difference between leaving dirty dishes outside the cabins from room service and dirty dishes from bringing food back to the room? Except the $7.95 that NCL is collecting

Except in the morning for the limited but free continental breakfast, I assume that it comes on plates. Those plates are still going to go where?

I know where mine are going. :cool:

My exact problem with this policy . I love sitting in a quiet place listening to the ocean with a light lunch or snack . But no can do [emoji19]

And it's really sad that people can't do this anymore. But the reason they can't is because folks would seek out a nice secluded spot to have a nice quiet snack like that and then when they were done... instead of returning their plate and utensils to a dining area... they would just leave it there in that nice secluded spot. Where maybe staff only clean that area once every day or two so the plate just sits there and rots.

And it's really sad that people can't do this anymore. But the reason they can't is because folks would seek out a nice secluded spot to have a nice quiet snack like that and then when they were done... instead of returning their plate and utensils to a dining area... they would just leave it there in that nice secluded spot. Where maybe staff only clean that area once every day or two so the plate just sits there and rots.

I am having a hard time believing that people are really this naive. You really believe it's about dirty dishes?! You're posting the same thing over and over again. It has nothing to do with dishes, and everything to do with an extra $7.95 per cabin.

I am having a hard time believing that people are really this naive. You really believe it's about dirty dishes?! You're posting the same thing over and over again. It has nothing to do with dishes, and everything to do with an extra $7.95 per cabin.

Agreed. Of all the cruises I've been on, I've never seen a ship overflowing with dirty dishes sitting for any significant length of time. Not even bar glasses.

We don't usually bring food back to the cabin, except cookies or fruit from the buffet maybe. However, one of the nights on our last cruise, which was in 2013 on Carnival, my kids were really exhausted. They had eaten most of their dinner, but we hadn't ordered dessert yet, when my little one (6 at the time) started to fall asleep right at the table. We had been in Puerto Rico that afternoon and did a ton of walking plus it was really hot. DH asked me to order his dessert to go, and the waiter happily packed it in a container for us.

My kids are 2 years older than they were on our last cruise, but that doesn't mean that something like that can't happen again. Plus, there are a lot of families in general who cruise with small children, and I've seen parents do the right thing and take their children out of the MDR, getting their food to go so they can eat their dinner in the cabin. That is called good parenting and now this all goes out the window! My sister has a baby who will be 18 months old when we sail in July, and his behavior is usually terrific in restaurants, but every child could still have an off day and my sister and brother-in-law would do the right thing and take him back to the cabin if necessary. But then no dinner for them unless they pay $7.95 for room service? Even if they do allow food to be taken from the buffet, how can someone take an inconsolable child up to a buffet and grab food for both the adult and child without it being a disaster? Surely there will be people who just stay in the restaurant, which will disrupt others' dining experiences in the restaurant, OR it will disrupt the dinner of the parents which is fine if they were allowed to bring the food back. They need to make come exceptions to this policy. It is ridiculous.

So then it's better for people to go up to a clean table in the buffet area that a family might need to eat their meal, and dirty that table with their dishes, so no one else could sit there?

I completely agree! I don't see dirty dishes piling up like that on any cruise ship, except maybe a couple here and there in the hallways outside the cabins. Yet they still offer room service. This is all about money.

Exactly!

And what is unbelievable to me is how many people have posted comments about not caring because it doesn't effect them. :rolleyes:

Exactly!

And what is unbelievable to me is how many people have posted comments about not caring because it doesn't effect them. :rolleyes:

The increase in the DSC affects everyone. The ones that affect me, increase in DSC, 3% increase in the bar beverage gratuity, 18% specialty restaurant gratuity and taking food back to cabin from buffet (cookies and chips that I take back) and some of these add up to additional money that I will be spending, but I still don't have an issue with the changes. Why can't those on the "I have an issue with all of these" understand that some people just have a different opinion than they do. I put a value on my cruise based on what I spend and even with these changes, I still feel I am getting the value I expect and that is why I don't have an issue with the changes. Should everyone just be upset, because you are? Edited by NLH Arizona

The increase in the DSC affects everyone. The ones that affect me, increase in DSC, 3% increase in the bar beverage gratuity, 18% specialty restaurant gratuity and taking food back to cabin from buffet (cookies and chips that I take back) and some of these add up to additional money that I will be spending, but I still don't have an issue with the changes. Why can't those on the "I have an issue with all of these" understand that some people just have a different opinion than they do. I put a value on my cruise based on what I spend and even with these changes, I still feel I am getting the value I expect and that is why I don't have an issue with the changes. Should everyone just be upset, because you are?

My only issue is the way it was done. (referring to the new RS charge) That's just me ...

Edited by SissasMomE

Exactly!

It doesn't affect me in a negative way so why would I post otherwise? We don't order room service. We don't take any food to our room, ever, because 1) it's gross and 2) we have 2 little kids which makes food in the room even grosser and 3) there is plenty of food in the dining areas of the ship if someone gets hungry. We also don't take food to other areas of the ship. We eat in the designated eating areas. It's just way easier than carting food to the opposite end of the ship. However it does affect me in a positive way. If it's enforced, which I honestly doubt it will be, there should be fewer plates of food around, period, which is a plus. I don't like seeing it. It's gross. And the plates in the hallway? A disaster with two little kids. If anything I'm ECSTATIC about the new policies! I couldnt care less that they are probably making money on it, and if they are kudos. They are a business and generally that's what businesses do. They make money. I just hope that the crew sees some extra cash out of it. Part of me hopes that the reasons for the increased gratuities and the inclusion of a service charge for the room service is to make up for decreased cash tips and increased crew responsibilities.

So then it's better for people to go up to a clean table in the buffet area that a family might need to eat their meal, and dirty that table with their dishes, so no one else could sit there?

Uh, that really doesn't make a ton of sense. Yes I really do prefer that they bring them back to the buffet and put them somewhere there. It would be way easier for the crew to deal with and it would be easy enough to put them on a table that hasn't already been bussed rather than search for a clean table to put them on. And even if one put them on a clean table, my guess is that they would be taken away quickly as the tables in the buffet area are usually cleaned up pretty fast to make room for more people... That's a pretty weak argument there. I would much rather have them put back into the dining area where they will be cleaned up quickly and more easily than have them left by the pool or in a hallway. Honestly the few times we've taken food out of the buffet (couldn't find an empty table so took it out to the deck to eat) we brought it back and brought it directly to a table that was being cleared.

Exactly!

So very true. The cheerleaders want everyone to only post positive things about their favorite brand and then they want to put down those who do not share their "loyalty".

Edited by knight2096

Exactly!

Far be it from me to be a NCL cheerleader but to be fair, that is one of the poll choices.

Even if I don't usually bring food back to eat in my stateroom, just knowing that I CAN'T, or that I have to be covert about it, impacts my overall enjoyment.

If I eat in a specialty restaurant, for which I've paid extra, and am too full to eat one of the "special" desserts (that I PAID for) at the close of the meal, I expect to be able to take it with me to eat later, should I so choose. I've done that once or twice. In the past, it's even been suggested to me by the waitstaff in the MDR (I don't remember which cruise line). It's not something I necessarily choose to do, but it gives me pleasure knowing that I CAN.

Now, perhaps if I never had a veranda, I might be less impacted. Lord knows, the idea of dining in an inside cabin doesn't hold me in its thrall, but one of the pleasures of having an aft veranda stateroom is being able to take lunch from the buffet, or appetizers, or dessert, to enjoy in MY quiet outdoor space with a glass of wine, watching the wake.

Edited by srlafleur