Looking for unusual, memorable tour

LCW

1st time in St Kitts. Interested in something fun and unusual something beyond the typical bus trip. Already doing zip line in Tortola.

We're not huge on beaches or laying in the sun, although an hour would be ok. Considering ATV or Tangerine tours. Other suggestions?

Royston's open-air van tour is definitely memorable, if a bit rough around the edges (some crazy driving, not unsafe), but that's what makes it fun. He took us all around the island for $45 per person (six people on our tour), which included all admissions and tips to performers, etc., a small lunch, and water, beer, and soda. Specifically, he took us through town, to Romney Manor and the batik "factory," Brimstone Fortress, as well as numerous vantage points for pictures, and to the beaches.

After lunch, we had beach time, and he provided snorkeling equipment, chairs, umbrellas, etc., before driving us around for one more great view of the port and our ships and dropping us back near the port area.

You can find more reviews and info about Royston on this board.

Another vote for Royston - we've been on his tour three times and loved each one. Royston is a gentle soul who loves his country and helps guests learn to love it, too! Definitely fun and unusual - you'll see areas of St. Kitts that other tour operators can't access.

Royston's open-air van tour is definitely memorable, if a bit rough around the edges (some crazy driving, not unsafe), but that's what makes it fun. He took us all around the island for $45 per person (six people on our tour), which included all admissions and tips to performers, etc., a small lunch, and water, beer, and soda. Specifically, he took us through town, to Romney Manor and the batik "factory," Brimstone Fortress, as well as numerous vantage points for pictures, and to the beaches.

After lunch, we had beach time, and he provided snorkeling equipment, chairs, umbrellas, etc., before driving us around for one more great view of the port and our ships and dropping us back near the port area.

You can find more reviews and info about Royston on this board.

Because it's an open- air van, does it have a roof to protect you from the sun?

Because it's an open- air van, does it have a roof to protect you from the sun?

It's open-air in the sense that he has the windows popped out. It still has the roof. It's easy for the passengers sitting at the window openings to just lean out and take pictures, and you get great breezes.

My husband and I are both sensitive to the sun and heat, and we were comfortable. The cooler of iced beverages also helps. :)

Another vote for Royston's Tour. We toured with Royston in March & it was one of my favorite excursions of all time & I am not usually a 'tour' type person! Royston is so warm & personable & really knows how to show off his island.

There are a lot of pics & info on his tour in my review if you are interested. Royston's tour starts on page 5.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2181064

This pic capture's Royston's fun side.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu7%3A%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E9%3B8%3E%3B96%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A%3C7389264324nu0mrj

And here is his 'open air' van.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3C73%3Dot%3E2326%3D%3A%3A9%3D%3C87%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B%3B82%3A2525233ot1lsi

It looks like he got a "new" van, or maybe I'm not remembering well. Thanks for the photos--we never got a good pic of the man himself on our tour.

We did get pictures of his dogs when we stopped by his house along the way, including "Lucky Bastard," so named because Royston rescued the dog from the middle of the road.

It looks like he got a "new" van, or maybe I'm not remembering well. Thanks for the photos--we never got a good pic of the man himself on our tour.

We did get pictures of his dogs when we stopped by his house along the way, including "Lucky Bastard," so named because Royston rescued the dog from the middle of the road.

Wanted to book Royston for October 1 and got a very cryptic message back that he will be gone for a while and will be back by the date I need but doesn't know if he will be ready for tours. Anyone else get a similar message. What other tour would you recommend?

Wanted to book Royston for October 1 and got a very cryptic message back that he will be gone for a while and will be back by the date I need but doesn't know if he will be ready for tours. Anyone else get a similar message. What other tour would you recommend?

I've heard of others getting strange messages from Royston, easily described as cryptic. He was perfectly normal and reliable for us.

The other name associated with St. Kitts seems to be Thenford Grey. There are several other threads about his tours (none seeming to mention weird messages). You might also ask Royston if his cousin is available for your travel date.

I also wanted to book with Royston For Oct 14, 2015 but he told me a large group had alredy booked with him so he chould not take us. I have since booked with Thenford Grey.

This is getting very strange.

Check out MyIslandtours by Javin. Excellent - fun and active. You climb (not difficult) on black rocks, do a rainforest hike, snorkel on a wreck and have beach time. Javin is personable and informative. There is a snack included of locally baked breads and sweets, and local juices. Definitely memorable!

• 3 months later...
Another vote for Royston's Tour. We toured with Royston in March & it was one of my favorite excursions of all time & I am not usually a 'tour' type person! Royston is so warm & personable & really knows how to show off his island.

There are a lot of pics & info on his tour in my review if you are interested. Royston's tour starts on page 5.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2181064

This pic capture's Royston's fun side.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu7%3A%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E9%3B8%3E%3B96%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A%3C7389264324nu0mrj

And here is his 'open air' van.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3C73%3Dot%3E2326%3D%3A%3A9%3D%3C87%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B%3B82%3A2525233ot1lsi

Oh my gosh!! I want to go on Roystons tours! Does he have other drivers, and if so do they drive thru fields and shortcuts like he does?

Oh my gosh!! I want to go on Roystons tours! Does he have other drivers, and if so do they drive thru fields and shortcuts like he does?

Royston has a cousin who does a tour similarly covering the island, but it is in a larger air-conditioned bus-type van, and from what I understand it is not at all as "adventurous" as Royston.

Royston would be the driver you'd want if you would like to experience St. Kitts on the edge. We certainly got pretty close to the edge of a few elevations, and drove along the beach right in the water at one point. We had to stop and wait for the waves to go out so the mooring lines would drop and he could cross them!

Check out MyIslandtours by Javin. Excellent - fun and active. You climb (not difficult) on black rocks, do a rainforest hike, snorkel on a wreck and have beach time. Javin is personable and informative. There is a snack included of locally baked breads and sweets, and local juices. Definitely memorable!

I've emailed Javin twice so far with no response. I then messaged him on Facebook and got a reply to say that he had been traveling but was now back and will go through his emails.

That was about 3 weeks ago and still no response. Looks like I'll be going elsewhere.

It's a shame as his tour sounded brilliant.