Embarkation at Civitavecchia 2015?

katetim

We will be taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia to embark on the June 29 sailing of the Celebrity Reflection. We have done this twice in the past. It was a short walk from the Civitavecchia train station to the small fort to catch the shuttle bus to the ship. However, it seems that last year they moved (temporarily?) the shuttle bus pickup location that seemed much farther away, perhaps not walkable with luggage from the train. Does anyone have current (2015) information about where to pick up the port shuttle for those arriving by train? Thanks in advance!

The new entrance which was originally described as temporary but is looking more and more permanent, is just off Via Turco. It's just about a half mile longer of a walk from the train station, for a total walk of just under a mile from train station to shuttle bus.

I wonder how much the cruiselines paid the port to move the entrance further away, making it much more difficult for even reasonably fit folks to get to the port under their own steam, using the train? ;)

Good one! I wonder whether there is actually an element of truth in this.

It's by the new entrance, that's the whole thing.

I'm with Cruisemom, this sounds like a setup to me. But I am always suspicious/skeptical of others' motives when it comes to the almighty dollar (or euro).

The only time we've used private transport is when we were disembarking and staying in Rome, shared a van with folks from our roll call for 25€ each. That was a good decision, didn't have to deal with luggage, and we were dropped right at our hotel. But for a port day, that starts getting pricey.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the situation was the same as last May when we were taken from the ship into town and had a long walk back. At least now if they drop off within the port it is a bit closer, albeit, still not by the old fort, near the sea front as it used to be.

I doubt that the cruise lines have sufficient power to pull this off, but the local politicians on the other hand ...

This has been a point of contention with the residents of Civitavecchia as the cruise business has increased. Regular commuters have complained vigorously in the local press about the crowding on the trains resulting from cruise passengers. They pushed hard for the special cruise train in an attempt to alleviate the problem. Trenitalia (in partnership with another company) complied but so far (at least as best as I can tell from what I've read) have been unable to make it break even, much less profitable. (Regular train service is subsidized.) In order to get the volume of travelers they need the cruise train waited until the last ship disembarked and it returned early enough for the first ship leaving the port; the result was a shorter day for almost everyone than they could do on their own using the regular train.

I doubt that the cruise lines have sufficient power to pull this off, but the local politicians on the other hand ...

This has been a point of contention with the residents of Civitavecchia as the cruise business has increased. Regular commuters have complained vigorously in the local press about the crowding on the trains resulting from cruise passengers. They pushed hard for the special cruise train in an attempt to alleviate the problem. Trenitalia (in partnership with another company) complied but so far (at least as best as I can tell from what I've read) have been unable to make it break even, much less profitable. (Regular train service is subsidized.) In order to get the volume of travelers they need the cruise train waited until the last ship disembarked and it returned early enough for the first ship leaving the port; the result was a shorter day for almost everyone than they could do on their own using the regular train.

Wow, very interesting. I had no idea, I assumed the locals were happy to have the dollars that the cruise passengers spent while in town. But having lived in a tourist Mecca, I do understand--hordes of tourists become a huge burden after a while, even though they support your livelihood.

Wow, very interesting. I had no idea, I assumed the locals were happy to have the dollars that the cruise passengers spent while in town. But having lived in a tourist Mecca, I do understand--hordes of tourists become a huge burden after a while, even though they support your livelihood.

I think part of the problem is that most of the tourists don't spend much money in Civitavecchia. For most it's just a pass-through to and from Rome. The port shuttle is free, as is the walk to the train station.

I have noticed a trend with more folks looking to either stay in Civitavecchia pre-cruise or looking for something to do in Civitavecchia on a port day. I have a hard time recommending either, as Civi is not very scenic, or is there much to do there.

We will be taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia to embark on the June 29 sailing of the Celebrity Reflection. We have done this twice in the past. It was a short walk from the Civitavecchia train station to the small fort to catch the shuttle bus to the ship. However, it seems that last year they moved (temporarily?) the shuttle bus pickup location that seemed much farther away, perhaps not walkable with luggage from the train. Does anyone have current (2015) information about where to pick up the port shuttle for those arriving by train? Thanks in advance!

March 31 2015. There is was a dedicated Bus almost across street from Civit.Train Station. 2/Euro p/p and 2/Euro per luggage to the North end Entrance to Pier. THEN you'll get on the $Free$ shuttle bus to the vessel's gangway.

Would I lug luggage from Train Station to North Entrance of Pier? Not unless I had only carry-on. Yes, a little more involved than it was a few years ago. Locomotiveman Tom

Santa Marinella is a nice town, just 6-7 minutes on the train from Civitavecchia. Nice beach and cafes. Having done Rome to death, it is a pleasant break and can be back onboard for lunch.

1. not a big beach fan

2. can never get too much of Rome

3. why would you want to eat onboard ship rather than sample delicious Italian food?

:D

1. not a big beach fan

2. can never get too much of Rome

3. why would you want to eat onboard ship rather than sample delicious Italian food?

:D

1. I am.

2. I can.

3. Sometimes I'll eat ashore, sometimes back onboard - each to there own.

March 31 2015. There is was a dedicated Bus almost across street from Civit.Train Station. 2/Euro p/p and 2/Euro per luggage to the North end Entrance to Pier. THEN you'll get on the $Free$ shuttle bus to the vessel's gangway.

Would I lug luggage from Train Station to North Entrance of Pier? Not unless I had only carry-on. Yes, a little more involved than it was a few years ago. Locomotiveman Tom

Yes, thank you, Tom. We will be taking the train to Civ. May 4, so this is the timely news many of us have been waiting for. But, seriously, E2/bag for a one-mile ride?

Yes, thank you, Tom. We will be taking the train to Civ. May 4, so this is the timely news many of us have been waiting for. But, seriously, E2/bag for a one-mile ride?

Fear-the-Turtle, I hate luggage. We bus users $bought$ 2/Euro tickets for each person and EACH large bag (...they check) at a Kiosk outside the North Entry Gate, then we were dropped off at a similar Kiosk nearly across from Train Sta. No charge for backpacks or carryons...so let's say 8/Euros for a couple with 2 large suitcases plus whatever.

The bus seemed to run Non-stop to North Entry Gate. Digital Display above windshield said maybe 'Crucero/Train?? ie No mistaking what it was, plus, the Security was herding everyone properly. (I say it was a 1.5Mile trip.)

It appeared that the 'Construction Mess' inspired the locals to run these Metro-style busses back-and-forth between Train Sta. and the North Entry Gate of the Pier itself. These busses were NOT motor-coaches, they had a large bi-fold middle door and one near the driver. Luggage luggers opted for the middle door to hoist the 50/lb. jobs up 2 steps to board. Bus had open floorplan, sorta, and ceiling straps as well as some seats. We felt sorry for the Pax. that opted to trudge down the narrow sidewalk with heavy luggage. The $free$ bus between the ship's gangway itself and this infamous 'North Entry to Pier Area' was a motorcoach...with under-floor luggage storage. Lota luggage lugging....but it went surprising fast. It is NOT like it was a few years ago....no more walking directly from ship to Train or vice/versa. Did I say I hate luggage?? Locomotiveman Tom

Would you be kind enough to post here on your return and advise what the situation was on May 4. We will be at Civi. on May 21. Many thanks.

Fear-the-Turtle, I hate luggage. We bus users $bought$ 2/Euro tickets for each person and EACH large bag (...they check) at a Kiosk outside the North Entry Gate, then we were dropped off at a similar Kiosk nearly across from Train Sta. No charge for backpacks or carryons...so let's say 8/Euros for a couple with 2 large suitcases plus whatever.

The bus seemed to run Non-stop to North Entry Gate. Digital Display above windshield said maybe 'Crucero/Train?? ie No mistaking what it was, plus, the Security was herding everyone properly. (I say it was a 1.5Mile trip.)

It appeared that the 'Construction Mess' inspired the locals to run these Metro-style busses back-and-forth between Train Sta. and the North Entry Gate of the Pier itself. These busses were NOT motor-coaches, they had a large bi-fold middle door and one near the driver. Luggage luggers opted for the middle door to hoist the 50/lb. jobs up 2 steps to board. Bus had open floorplan, sorta, and ceiling straps as well as some seats. We felt sorry for the Pax. that opted to trudge down the narrow sidewalk with heavy luggage. The $free$ bus between the ship's gangway itself and this infamous 'North Entry to Pier Area' was a motorcoach...with under-floor luggage storage. Lota luggage lugging....but it went surprising fast. It is NOT like it was a few years ago....no more walking directly from ship to Train or vice/versa. Did I say I hate luggage?? Locomotiveman Tom

I appreciate your further detail, Tom. If I could travel for 3 weeks with a carry-on, I would. But I have pared down as we have traveled more. Wheeling two suitcases each across cobblestones in Florence....well, that did it. We'll be prepared at the Civ. train station with single euros, buy our tickets, and find the bus....and be prepared to transfer luggage again.

Why did you feel sorry for the people wheeling their luggage from train to the free bus? Was it a dangerous road? Not worth saving €8?

Debbie

Debby, I felt sorry for people who walked between Civita. Train Sta and Pier Gate because it was a narrow crowded sidewalk....they looked hot, AND they missed the next train to Rome and Airport that we boarded. Locomotiveman.

If you get private transportation from your Rome hotel, does this avoid the need for this 2 Euro shuttle? We have 6 in our group, each with a bag. we were going to take the train to the port, but perhaps it is more cost effective to take a van from the hotel ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk