papua new guinea

have been looking at a princess cruise to papua new guinea, has anyone done a cruise to papua new guinea, the cruise is in january, I really don't know much about the ports so would be interested to hear from someone who has cruised to papua new guinea

I lived in PNG for a few years some years ago and while I have not cruised there yet I will be some day. No matter what the itinerary you will have a great experience. The only port on the present itineraries I am really familiar with is Rabaul but even then that was pre the volcanic eruption that flattened Rabaul. My real dissapointment with the itinerary is that they don't go to Port Moresby and Lae. I have been pushing this aspect for sometime but no-one seems to be listening. Adding Port Moresby and Lae would produce an amazing itinerary. Don't hesitate to go.:)

I haven't cruised yet to Papua New Guinea but i am planning to do it next year.

So far, this might help you regarding the ports in Papua: http://www.searates.com/maritime/papua_new_guinea.html

Princess cruises look popular http://www.princess.com/excursion/exlistfordestination.do?portid=RAB&t=I&exType=S but I am still not done making my research which one is the best cruise. Also, let me know about your findings.

There are a few threads on PNG if you want to poke around a bit.

We did 19 days to PNG, Solomon's, Vanuatu & Noumea back in September on Dawn Princess. Was a very interesting itinerary, not withstanding volcanic activity stopping us visiting Rabaul.

Be prepared for some very basic facilities in that neck of the woods - but don't let it stop you going. We enjoyed the trip very much - except that there were perhaps too many tender ports and DP appeared a bit tired and run down.

Here is a thread from a while ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2134645

Cheers

Bill

We did a PNG cruise last year on P&O. I quite intensely dislike P&O but at the time we booked they were the only option. Parking that the P&O experience was as I expected the cruise was great save for the cruise line.

PNG is essentially a third world country that's full of super friendly people. Your voice will get sore as you say "hello" to every single person you pass walking down the street. It's green and hot. The tours are good but not run to the standard of tours in a more developed area. There will be topless women dancing which may or may not be your thing; there will be similarly scantly dressed men doing the same.

It's a "there not much to do" type of cruise destination. A bit like any other pacific island cruise but at the same time a bit more exotic. Definitely worth doing once.