Chikungunya??

I just saw a news story reporting that Chikungunya has been declared an epidemic in the Caribbean. Does anyone know if it has been occuring in Roatan, Belize, or Cozumel? Also what is the best mosquito bite prevention, other than staying on the ship?

We are departing Aug 24 on Navigator of the Seas.

Edited by gussiedenis

Current Geographical Distribution per CDC. Of course I believe recently there was a couple of people infected in Florida (mosquito to person) so you can add North America to the list.

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/geo/americas.html

Insect repellent info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_repellent

Oil of lemon eucalyptus may be an alternative to DEET.

Current Geographical Distribution per CDC. Of course I believe recently there was a couple of people infected in Florida (mosquito to person) so you can add North America to the list.

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/geo/americas.html

Insect repellent info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_repellent

Oil of lemon eucalyptus may be an alternative to DEET.

Cool that ones a good one to know

Usually use deet though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been a little concerned about this too, since we're on a Western Carib. itinerary later this year. Haiti (Labadee) is solidly on that list/map. I already nixed the idea of going to San Gervasio on Cozumel since 90% of the posts about it mentioned how mosquito-filled it is there.

Is there a time of year more/less mosquito prone on Western Carib itineraries than others?

I've been a little concerned about this too, since we're on a Western Carib. itinerary later this year. Haiti (Labadee) is solidly on that list/map. I already nixed the idea of going to San Gervasio on Cozumel since 90% of the posts about it mentioned how mosquito-filled it is there.

Is there a time of year more/less mosquito prone on Western Carib itineraries than others?

I was at San Gervasio first week of December (2012) and did not notice mosquitos. Wew wore sunscreen/insect repellant as normal but did not take any special precautions. It was a very interesting tour :)

I was at San Gervasio first week of December (2012) and did not notice mosquitos. We wore sunscreen/insect repellant as normal but did not take any special precautions. It was a very interesting tour :)

Thanks, that would be the same time we're there, although 3 years later. Maybe they've gotten worse since then. But I'll bring the Deet just to be sure.

a few weeks ago there was a news report of this disease in someone up here in Cadillac, Michigan, the reporter said the person had been in the Caribbean but didn't say if they had been on a cruise or where just staying at a resort.

If you are concerned about it being in the Caribbean... then you'll be concerned that we have confirmed cases of Chikunqunya in Florida -- new cases, in the population that have NOT been out of the US.

Edited by LindaO

If you are concerned about it being in the Caribbean... then you'll be concerned that we have confirmed cases of Chikunqunya in Florida -- new cases, in the population that have NOT been out of the US.
However more folks have been struck by lighting http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126920 then have contracted Chikunqunya in Florida.

Be careful though. I read something about DEET and sunscreen not being a good mix.

I read that too. Supposedly there is an ingredient in sunscreen that greatly increases the absorption of DEET.

However more folks have been struck by lighting http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126920 then have contracted Chikunqunya in Florida.

Nothing like comparing apples to pineapples ... But given a choice is take chikuqunya over being struck by lighting! And give it a few weeks... The numbers are rising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing like comparing apples to pineapples ... But given a choice is take chikuqunya over being struck by lighting! And give it a few weeks... The numbers are rising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just trying to put things in perspective.

My family and I are on the 8/31 Freedom Cruise-including two toddlers.

In light of the CDC's recent reports skipping Labadee and re-routing to Co Co Cay would bring peace of mind.

Do you think there is any possibility of that? We've been on a few cruises that diverted to a different port for weather and to give the passengers a port of call instead of a sea day.

My family and I are on the 8/31 Freedom Cruise-including two toddlers.

In light of the CDC's recent reports skipping Labadee and re-routing to Co Co Cay would bring peace of mind.

Do you think there is any possibility of that? We've been on a few cruises that diverted to a different port for weather and to give the passengers a port of call instead of a sea day.

I'd be surprised if they skipped Labadee. They'll skip Coco Cay because of weather and it's a tender port. Labadee is a dock.

I was thinking that the beach, and in the water itself, would be a safe haven from mosquitos. They'd be hanging out more inland with the 'jungle' and standing water, right? Besides, Labadee is one of my favorite stops. Maybe I'll just wear a wetsuit - won't be able to penetrate that! LOL

Mosquitoes usually come out at dawn and dusk and by then you will be back on board the ship. Also, stay away from standing water.

On one report I read said this particular mosquito bites during the daytime.

We leave on 8/31 also and I am concerned.....

a few weeks ago there was a news report of this disease in someone up here in Cadillac, Michigan, the reporter said the person had been in the Caribbean but didn't say if they had been on a cruise or where just staying at a resort.

I seen that since in Michigan I beleive it was 9 and 10 let me find link

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Be careful though. I read something about DEET and sunscreen not being a good mix.

Read on some information posted by the CDC to apply sunscreen first and then use insect repellant.

Wolf here is link

http://www.9and10news.com/story/25880854/caribbean-mosquito-borne-virus-infects-two-michigan-residents

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk