Will dl/cl lounges go away?

All kids earn it just like adults per rci rules but what other company or better said industry does that. Earning it is a relative term and many businesses require yearly activity or bi-yearly activity or loss of status. I imagine a scenario where this would be case in the future if there are too many diamonds. I earned all of my rci status the hard way but have tons of points from traveling as a kid with folks back in the day when the other line was the one to be on. I certainly don't think I earned any of that. I just enjoyed a trip paid for by my parents. If airlines let you accumulate for your life none of us would get any benefits b/c they couldnt afford to give em out. Point being with the rci "echo boom" diamonds all grown up in several years there will be way too many d and d+ to keep it all the same. What ever happens will happen I guess. It will be interesting to see.

I think this is the bigger issue looming in having too many Diamonds. Yes, a while back you could have taken the short 3/4 day cruises and racked up point pretty quickly, but that has been taken away.

Now that many are cruising, kids will be earning Diamond long before they every have to pay for a cruise on their own. My kids have yet to pay for a cruise but will become Diamond with us on their own merit. My oldest is now engaged, so as soon as she is married her husband will become Diamond (he is lowly ;) Gold now since he has been sailing with us as well), and guess what when they have kids, they will already be Diamond or higher. Not sure how to change this but I am sure they will figure something out.

Let's just enjoy as it is now one cruise at a time. ;)

Well said and I will be doing that soon! Lol. It is an interesting conversation but I'll be enjoying my cruises and the nice benefits in the meantime. Cheers!

That is easy. Old cls change to "suites lounge" and dl changed to concierges lounge which keeps all d+ and above happy. Honestly most of the cls are pretty poor compared to the spaces the DLs have so id rather be in that space all day long save for the current cl on oasis class. DL on freedom class for example blows away the cl.

If we're going to speculate wildly, what do we expect the Diamond Lounge's new name will be?

After all, you really can't call it the Diamond Lounge if Diamond level C&A aren't allowed in.

On the other hand you have members who WINK WINK NUDGE SECRET HANDSHAKE claim to know that the CL/DL format IS changing but when asked how they know they just play coy.

Who's playing coy? Everyone was raving about getting drink vouchers in addition to the lounge and a lot of us observed that it was not like RC to give extra things when they could give less things.

Other comments are things that people have seen or heard and are passing on. It's just discussion, like anything else on these boards.

If we're going to speculate wildly, what do we expect the Diamond Lounge's new name will be?

After all, you really can't call it the Diamond Lounge if Diamond level C&A aren't allowed in.

What about Top Tier Lounge?

Then you could designate any credit level, and constantly change it.

I said it first!

Pinnacle status cannot be inherited. It can only be earned by cruising. I was surprised to hear from a woman who just made Pinnacle that her husband, who does not have as many points as her, is now Pinnacle. However, if something should happen to her, he would revert to his own earned points. Children DO NOT get their parents Pinnacle status. They do on other levels, but when they turn 18 they keep the status but at that point only have the points they have actually earned. They have to get to the next level on their own.

Even if RCI found out that something happened to her, I would be amazed if their IT department could figure out a way to demote her widower (assuming that her death is the "something" in question) and a little horrified that they would be that cruel.

I don't see why people should share any household member's status. Princess makes each passenger earn their status, so mixed marriages are quite common. I made Elite before DH did, as did at least one other couple we know. As far as I know, that's the norm. I imagine that there would be some relief from overcrowding if RCI made everybody earn their own status. They could, as the airlines do, allow some privileges to be shared (for example, as AA Platinum I can reserve an extra legroom seat for a non-Platinum for no additional cost) but still require full status for others, such as the lounges.

Even if RCI found out that something happened to her, I would be amazed if their IT department could figure out a way to demote her widower (assuming that her death is the "something" in question) and a little horrified that they would be that cruel.

I don't see why people should share any household member's status. Princess makes each passenger earn their status, so mixed marriages are quite common. I made Elite before DH did, as did at least one other couple we know. As far as I know, that's the norm. I imagine that there would be some relief from overcrowding if RCI made everybody earn their own status. They could, as the airlines do, allow some privileges to be shared (for example, as AA Platinum I can reserve an extra legroom seat for a non-Platinum for no additional cost) but still require full status for others, such as the lounges.

I agree with your post.

:) Perhaps only on cruise critic could mixed marriages be so easily understood to mean mixed loyalty status, not race, ethnicity, religion, etc.

this is my opinion-----

every cruiser should only get the points him or her actually earned on their on. no piggy backing off of anyone. be it husband, wife, son, daughter, grandchild, grandparent, aunt, uncle, friend or foe. if you did not do the time on the water---you don,t get the points.

end of discussion.---remember, this is my Opinion

And those that had done cruises that were longer than 7 days only got 7 points when RCI did the conversion.:eek: :mad:

The old point system discriminated against the longer cruiser and favoured the short hop. This is such a good point. We love to cruise and were deliberately only choosing cruises that were over 7 days, our preference was at least 11 or 12 and, under the old points system this was not appreciated.

I think the change to points by night was good but this part was not fairly handled.

The old point system discriminated against the longer cruiser and favoured the short hop. This is such a good point. We love to cruise and were deliberately only choosing cruises that were over 7 days, our preference was at least 11 or 12 and, under the old points system this was not appreciated.

I think the change to points by night was good but this part was not fairly handled.

I thought we agreed that 12 nights gave you two credits, which turned into 14 points

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If you remember there was a trade off. What RCCL gave was a fleet wide nightly "Event." Ships without CL's now had a place for folks to gather and enjoy a couple of glasses of wine. At the time, there were a number of ships affected, such as Monarch and Majesty.

I guess my point is that threads like this do nothing to advance the ball but rather give RCCL a greater incentive to make negative changes.

Well it wasn't a trade off to me when one week I was in the CL and three weeks later on the same ship I could no longer access the CL. The nightly events were great for those older ships w/o lounges but I never sailed those ships.

Now D+ and won't miss the CL when it happens. I buy the drink packages and enjoy the entire ship.

Negative changes for you may be positive ones for others. I for one am glad they introduced the drink packages. Much better than one enclosed room to access free drinks. Oh and yes the "exclusive company". Well I have news for you, I meet people all over the ship and whether they have cruised once or a hundred times, doesn't matter to me.

this is my opinion-----

every cruiser should only get the points him or her actually earned on their on. no piggy backing off of anyone. be it husband, wife, son, daughter, grandchild, grandparent, aunt, uncle, friend or foe. if you did not do the time on the water---you don,t get the points.

end of discussion.---remember, this is my Opinion

So you expect a wife to go to the lounge without her husband or vice versa? Or else not use the perk? Really? That would make this perk out of the norm of other perks for airlines, hotels and airport lounges, etc. You always get to bring your spouse. What would Royal gain by going against the norm and angering it's loyal guests?

My husband has the highest tier on several major airlines. When flying together if he gets upgraded to business/first so do I. Same with a hotel concierge lounge.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

These kinds of threads can be dangerous and counterproductive!

They send a message to RCCL that its most loyal cruisers are expecting changes, and, in many cases, accepting them in advance.

I'm not! If there are changes, I fully expect to be grandfathered into the present reward system.

If RCCL wants to make changes for new folks, fine and good, but I for one expect that the cruise line will live up to the promises it has made to me as I have spent my money in good faith expecting the perks that have been promised!

I see your point, and I hope that the changes being discussed here don't come to pass.

The current program is perfectly fine and needs no modification. I make it a point to always write that opinion on my surveys.

Pinnacle status cannot be inherited. It can only be earned by cruising. I was surprised to hear from a woman who just made Pinnacle that her husband, who does not have as many points as her, is now Pinnacle. However, if something should happen to her, he would revert to his own earned points.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But he will retain Pinnacle status (though his point count may be lower.) And, should he remarry, his new spouse will be Pinnacle upon her second cruise.

Edited by gadaboutgal

The DW & I don't drink except for an occasional diet coke during happy hour in the DL. The thing I would lament most if there are any DL/CL access changes is my access to those marvelous coffee machines in the DL & CL.

Meanwhile, we'll keep plugging away in our interior cabins until we make D+ (only three cruises to go) so we can 'pull rank' if there are any changes so that we can continue to hit that 'cappuccino' button (maybe with an 'expresso' top off), listen to the hiss & bubbling, and settle down with our Kindles.

Oh, how am I going to survive our upcoming 36-day B2B on Carnival? ;)