Question about the Star

tjcletsgo

I've been on the Star a few times, but haven't any luck with making reservations for the anytime dining. Usually our group will go to the Portofino dining room (Deck 6, mid-ship) about 10 minutes before it opens for anytime dining (about 7:30 pm). Sometimes it will even open a little earlier, if the majority of the first seating traditional diners are finished and the tables are ready. If you don't mind eating at 7:30 pm, this is probably your best option for a minimal wait.

I was on the Star in June and had no trouble making a standing reservation for the entire 11 day cruise.

Sue

I was also on the Star for 11 days in June. We wanted a 7:00 pm reservation, but were told that time was not available. We were told only 5:30 pm or 7:30 pm. or later. What time were you able to make your reservation for?

Yes you can make reservations for ATD on the Star Princess. But, reservations are only accepted for specific times, as an example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45. My experience is that if you wish to dine 7:30 or later lots of tables are available. It is the 6pm time frame that is more crowded. Passenger dining time preferences can be different on each cruise, so feel this out once on board.

My wife and I were on the Star over Christmas to Hawaii. We like late seating but don't usually like the traditional dining room at the back of the ship ( lot's of motion when the sea is rough, and noise from the Vista Lounge). We spoke with the head waiter at the Portofino DR and he gave us a table for six (for just the two of us) for the entire cruise at 7:45. Definitely the way to go, especially when the dining room was busy on formal nights.

My wife and I were on the Star over Christmas to Hawaii. We like late seating but don't usually like the traditional dining room at the back of the ship ( lot's of motion when the sea is rough, and noise from the Vista Lounge).

Our favorite DR. :D

Noise from the Vista Lounge? Thats the first time I have ever heard that.

With the level of noise (talking, plates etc) that is present in all the DR's, there is no way we could have heard anything that was coming from outside the room especially from the deck above. :confused:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I was also on the Star recently and saw many people making reservations when they had anytime dinning. What we did is on the first night after we found the table we liked, when we left the dinning room we requested that table each night at a certain time. Worked like a charm. BTW if you stand in line at the dinning room, often on the right side reserved for people with reservations. Sometimes they even have a sign stating this.

One more thing if we were doing a specialty restaurant we would always inform our waiter our plans for the next night.

Edited by timetravler

I was also on the Star for 11 days in June. We wanted a 7:00 pm reservation, but were told that time was not available. We were told only 5:30 pm or 7:30 pm. or later. What time were you able to make your reservation for?

You were on my cruise. I ate at 5:30 in the MDR.

Sue

...What we did is on the first night after we found the table we liked, when we left the dinning room we requested that table each night at a certain time. Worked like a charm......

Being able to do this will depend not only on the ship but mainly on the maître d.

We did this for multiple cruises, for a couple of years right after they started ATD, but then for several cruises we started running into the inability to do more than call the dine line and reserve a table...but not a table for 2...and not when we wanted to go to dinner.

We now don't want to go through the hassle from cruise to cruise and just book early dining.

All the dining problems for "any-time" have now resulted in a big return to "traditional" dining for those of us that want or need to dine before 7:30. Wait lists are in the hundreds for 6:00 pm dining for most cruises.

Anytime dining seems to work great for those that want to share tables and dine late.

Edited by BJS

You were on my cruise. I ate at 5:30 in the MDR.

Sue

I thought we were on the same one.

We had a group of eight, but we couldn't get a standing reservation for 7:00 pm. We ended up going to Portofino most nights and eating at 7:30. That was a little later than my Aunt wanted, but it ended up being okay. We sat at the same table for the majority of the cruise. Sometimes we had an eight-top and sometimes a four-top, depending on what the group wanted to do. Lucky for us, our waiter had a variety of table sizes in his section.

I'll be back on the Star in March.

Our favorite DR. :D

Noise from the Vista Lounge? Thats the first time I have ever heard that.

With the level of noise (talking, plates etc) that is present in all the DR's, there is no way we could have heard anything that was coming from outside the room especially from the deck above. :confused:

Well, it is the "dinning" room, after all.