FLL to hotel and port with 3 year old

luvjftffc

So we are flying in a day early on December 5th and arriving after 10 p.m. Most hotels only have shuttles till 10 so we will have to use a tax for the 3 of us. I was trying to avoid bringing a huge car seat. Do any hotels have shuttles after 10 pm? or will I have to bring the huge car seat? just wondering what other parents did as this is the first cruise with our child.

I have never flown with her. I did not know she needed anything. Does she need a car seat for the plane also?

Since she's three, she'll have her own seat. Is she big enough to just use the seat belt or a CARES harness? If not, it's probably best to bring her car seat.

We bring our own seats.

I have this to make carrying the seat around easier after getting out of the car/through the airport. http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ultimate-Seat-Travel-Black/dp/B0009RNXNA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413225689&sr=8-2&keywords=carseat+bag

We use the seat on the plane to contain the child. It is just easier if kiddo is strapped down. Saves EVERYONE's sanity. The cares harness is a joke. I borrowed one once going to Disney and my kid wouldn't stay in it at all.

Edited by luvsviola

I've been going back and forth- taking a carseat is a huge pain but so is trying to find transportation without one. Having done trips with and without a carseat I say take it if you can. The last flight I took with my 2 year old they threatened to divert the flight because she kept unbuckling her seat belt - wish I'd taken the carseat!

You might want to check with some more airport hotels. Often the scheduled shuttles stop running late, but will arrange airport transports at other times (they just don't regularly keep going back and forth). Also check to see what kind of shuttles they have (van vs minibus) and if a car seat could be used/is required.

We did not sail with a car seat on DD's 1st cruise and don't plan to next time either. We are able to drive to the port so we had the car seat to/from the port, but planned/are planning either to stay on the ship or options off the ship that don't require a car seat. We might get a BubleBum to have in case of emergency and for future non cruise travels. DD will be old enough for one in a couple of months and is well within the height/weight requirements.

As for on the plane, a seat is not required. A seat or CARES might be helpful depending on your child. DD & I flew across the country & back a few months ago with her in the regular seat (she's 3) and she did great. She was too tall for CARES by the time she was 3 so that wasn't an option.

Last year we just used the bottom part of a booster seat and plan on using the same for our youngest (who will be 3) this year. We used the booster in the limo ride to the hotel, but didn't use it on your rides in port. We will probably use it in our taxi rides as well. I know at 3 they aren't "ready" for the booster, but both our kids are on the bigger side and it's safer then nothing and a lot easier then carrying the huge carseat. Plus we can pack it away in the suitcase when not using it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a consideration for the small backless boosters without a harness.... You can only use them in cars with a shoulder belt. Some transportation forms in port only have a single lap belt and in those cases it does not really help. That said I love the bubble bum for older kids in most situations.for younger kids practice installing you car seat without the latch system, a lot of vehicles in port may not have the latch system. Make sure you know how to lock the seat belt. My dd is well traveled and behaves better in her carseat, sometimes well worth the hastle on long flights or rides.