disembarcation

spandance

we are travelling on splendida on September 24th from Valencia to barcelona 6 nights. Can anyone tell me if we would be able to make a 10am rain journey form Barcelona sants? The next one is not until 2pm, so my other question is, is there a trip we can take round barelona and be dropped off at the train staion or can we stay on the ship later? This will be my second time on Splendida and I ca;t wait as I had a wonderful cruise last time.

It is easy enough to stay on the ship. Apart from all the usual Italian-flavoured disorganization, with MSC rarely does everybody disembark at the same port so the staff are not going to question your presence on board. They probably would not even be calling your name when the ship sailed away - just assume you managed to evade the card reader when you left. Relax and leave the ship when you like. If you have Allegrissimo booked, that also continues to be usable on the last day (providing you have registered a card to settle your on board account).

Have an MDR lunch in peace then catch the leisurely train. The 10 a.m. looks way too ambitious.

Tim.

I agree with Tim the 10am Train would be far too ambitious, as for the drink package they appear to be stopping people using it during their last hours onboard! just something to be aware of.

I agree with Tim the 10am Train would be far too ambitious, as for the drink package they appear to be stopping people using it during their last hours onboard! just something to be aware of.

Sidari, what do you know? Fill us in!

Tim ... If it is about the drink package, on the Opera a few weeks back we were not allowed to use our card for drinks on the last morning despite the daily paper from the night before saying that the card could be used until such time as you leave the ship! other people have also complained about this happening, I have sent a complaint to MSC via Rachel along with a few other questions that i hope we will get answers to. I had a reply saying it may take up to 28 days to get a response, the clock is ticking.

Tim ... If it is about the drink package, on the Opera a few weeks back we were not allowed to use our card for drinks on the last morning despite the daily paper from the night before saying that the card could be used until such time as you leave the ship! other people have also complained about this happening, I have sent a complaint to MSC via Rachel along with a few other questions that i hope we will get answers to. I had a reply saying it may take up to 28 days to get a response, the clock is ticking.

Interesting. To clarify: 1) was this a question of the tills not accepting your card or the staff visually inspecting it and refusing, i.e. because of their training and 2) if the former, had you registered a credit card at embarkation to pay your account?

I requested compensation from Thomas Cook under EU regulation for a 5 hour delay to a flight with no good reason. They said they would reply within 10 days. Over two years later without response, the small claims court has ruled in my favour but I still have to go back to court for the corporate equivalent of a 'detachment of earnings'! 'Blood out of a stone' springs to mind. Good luck with your complaint.

Tim ... My CC was as always registered as the method of payment at check in at Southampton, the drink package had been booked and Paid for prior to traveling! on the last morning after our Face to Face with UK Border Kerry decided she would like a Cappuccino or two and went off the Aroma Coffee bar on Deck 6, we were up on Deck 7 in the Carauso Lounge.

When Kerry returned she told me that the staff at the Coffee bar refused to serve her unless she was prepared to pay for the coffee by way of the CC registered to our account!!

So therefore a refusal to hand over the drinks despite having the drink package! which according to the Daily Paper was still usuable until such time as you leave the ship.

Kerry returned she told me that the staff at the Coffee bar refused to serve her unless she was prepared to pay for the coffee by way of the CC registered to our account!!

So therefore a refusal to hand over the drinks despite having the drink package! which according to the Daily Paper was still usuable until such time as you leave the ship.

This sounds like another MSC failure of communication with a particular member of staff than a change in policy across the line. I would have signed for the drinks then visited the cash desk to get any charges removed. It is only a sales operation off the ships so best to get all these niggles dealt with while on board.

Tim ... I forgot to say that after Kerry had returned i went to seek out the Coffe bar guy but instead saw one of the the crew who was English not sure what her job is or was and asked her why we could not use the card.

If i recall correctly she said that all the accounts for the drink packages had been closed !! when you go to the Theatre for the F2F there is also a member of the Red coats there with a computer (Customer service staff) who swipe your sea pass card, my guess is that is when they close down your account and not when you leave the ship.

It will be interesting to hear what their response is to denying people use of something for which they have already paid.

Below are two other Reviews from CC where this is mentioned!!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=223227

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=222478

Tim ... I forgot to say that after Kerry had returned i went to seek out the Coffe bar guy but instead saw one of the the crew who was English not sure what her job is or was and asked her why we could not use the card.

If i recall correctly she said that all the accounts for the drink packages had been closed !! when you go to the Theatre for the F2F there is also a member of the Red coats there with a computer (Customer service staff) who swipe your sea pass card, my guess is that is when they close down your account and not when you leave the ship.

It will be interesting to hear what their response is to denying people use of something for which they have already paid.

Below are two other Reviews from CC where this is mentioned!!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=223227

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=222478

Sidari,

In the first review it sounds very much like the author settled the account with cash and so the package would not have been available on the last day. In your case and in the second review it does sound like accounts were closed with the portable card reader at the gathering for disembarkation. I have never been to one of those so that would explain our different experiences. The advice has therefore got to be don't go to the disembarkation gathering (I don't know what F2F means) unless you intend leaving the ship immediately and, even then, get a round in before having your card swiped.

From memory, the receptionist I asked told me providing I had registered a credit card to pay the on board account, I could continue to use the ship's card on the day of disembarkation. Any package drinks would not be charged for but anything not included would be charged to my credit card after leaving the ship.

I have continued to have the benefit of Allegrissimo on the last day well after my allotted disembarkation time on both my MSC cruises, including lunch with wine on the first So my experience supports what I was told.

Tim.

Tim ... F2F = Face to Face with UK Border of which you have no choice! and have to be there at the allotted time given which of course means waiting in the queue to get into the Theatre where you are seen by UK Border who set up their stall on the stage, along from them is a Red Coat as you say with a computer who swipes everyones card.

Our time was 9-40am ships time, 8-40am UK time, once out of the theatre we were to wait until 11-15am ships time 10-15 UK time, to be at the allotted lounge where we had to wait while those who had failed for whatever reason to go to the Face to Face in the theatre were found.

No one is allowed to leave the ship until everyone departing that day has been seen, some people had an earlier time than we did.

So as the card was swiped at around 9-50am ship time, 8-50am UK time the use of the Drink package was refused! so unless you are prepared to go to the pool deck for the Free stuff or pay extra you go without a drink which is totaly wrong.

So card swiped at around 9-50 am ship time but stuck on the ship until around 11-45am ship time.

Tim ... F2F = Face to Face with UK Border of which you have no choice! and have to be there at the allotted time given which of course means waiting in the queue to get into the Theatre where you are seen by UK Border who set up their stall on the stage, along from them is a Red Coat as you say with a computer who swipes everyones card.

Our time was 9-40am ships time, 8-40am UK time, once out of the theatre we were to wait until 11-15am ships time 10-15 UK time, to be at the allotted lounge where we had to wait while those who had failed for whatever reason to go to the Face to Face in the theatre were found.

No one is allowed to leave the ship until everyone departing that day has been seen, some people had an earlier time than we did.

So as the card was swiped at around 9-50am ship time, 8-50am UK time the use of the Drink package was refused! so unless you are prepared to go to the pool deck for the Free stuff or pay extra you go without a drink which is totaly wrong.

So card swiped at around 9-50 am ship time but stuck on the ship until around 11-45am ship time.

Well in that case you have good grounds to complain. I would also revert to the previous advice to buy drinks regardless and visit the cash desk to have the charges removed. It is a shame the cash desk is so busy on the last day.

My immigration experiences have been either carried out days before disembarkation, done in my absence by the line or once at the terminal (New York - appalling). I was thinking of a repo to the UK. Your experience will make me think twice now.

Tim ... No idea if it happens on repo cruises but i would not put it past them! on the Poesia last year it was done when the ship reached St Thomas which annoyed a lot of people as the port time was short and many did not get off the ship until after 11am .... :eek:

We were lucky and had an early time though there were people with kids who had to go even earlier!

My husband and I are trying to catch an early train in Messina, where we disembark. Not buying tickets in advance in Case we don't make it, but just wondering - to get off the ship more quickly, should we / can we keep our luggage with us and carry by hand off of the ship? Must we attend the disembarkation muster area process? Any advice is helpful. Sailing preziosa in a few weeks.

My husband and I are trying to catch an early train in Messina, where we disembark. Not buying tickets in advance in Case we don't make it, but just wondering - to get off the ship more quickly, should we / can we keep our luggage with us and carry by hand off of the ship? Must we attend the disembarkation muster area process? Any advice is helpful. Sailing preziosa in a few weeks.

Easy to answer: yes you can keep your luggage with you providing you don't need help to get it off and no, you don't have to muster for disembarkation though the line would very much prefer it if you did. If you have a tight connection, visit reception on the ship and kindly request an early disembarkation. They will give you an earlier muster.

Advance train tickets can be a quarter the price of those on the day so it may be worth picking a realistically achievable service.

Easy to answer: yes you can keep your luggage with you providing you don't need help to get it off and no, you don't have to muster for disembarkation though the line would very much prefer it if you did. If you have a tight connection, visit reception on the ship and kindly request an early disembarkation. They will give you an earlier muster.

Advance train tickets can be a quarter the price of those on the day so it may be worth picking a realistically achievable service.

Excellent information and advice, many thanks!

After thinking about it...Follow up, probably silly questions. Do they let the disembarking passengers off before the other passengers? If we don't go to the muster station, how do we know they are letting us off? Also, if we purchase a trenitalia ticket and miss the train, can we use it for a later train? So sorry, new cruisers :)

After thinking about it...Follow up, probably silly questions. Do they let the disembarking passengers off before the other passengers? If we don't go to the muster station, how do we know they are letting us off? Also, if we purchase a trenitalia ticket and miss the train, can we use it for a later train? So sorry, new cruisers :)

Leaving Venice earlier this year had a trenitalia ticket for 12 noon as not sure what time I would be able to disembark etc. Was able to book on an earlier train but had to pay the difference in the 'today' price and the advance ticket price. Not sure what would have happened if I missed the train. Perhaps forfeited the ticket as the trains have reserved seats.

Leaving Venice earlier this year had a trenitalia ticket for 12 noon as not sure what time I would be able to disembark etc. Was able to book on an earlier train but had to pay the difference in the 'today' price and the advance ticket price. Not sure what would have happened if I missed the train. Perhaps forfeited the ticket as the trains have reserved seats.

Thanks, this is helpful, Maryann2. Was the difference significant (if you don't mind me asking)?

I sent an e mail to MSC to ask if they thought the 10am train was not going to be feasible and they answered me back in one day and suggested I booked one after 12pm and stayed on board and have lunch:) and then go without having to rush! Brilliant, I was so pleased as it means I can book my train ticket back to Valencia from Barcelona at a great special deal!! roll on September

Thanks, this is helpful, Maryann2. Was the difference significant (if you don't mind me asking)?

I think it was 30 euros so quite a bit. Would not normally have spent it but this was February in Venice and snowing. Not much fun hanging around the station. The online advance price was good though. It did mean I arrived in Rome and then Civitavecchia in daylight. The train was full even in February.

After thinking about it...Follow up, probably silly questions. Do they let the disembarking passengers off before the other passengers? If we don't go to the muster station, how do we know they are letting us off?

They will let you off anytime. The mustering is to try to make you feel that you have not queued an hour or more to get off. The line will prefer disembarking passengers to get off first to maximise cabin turnaround time for their staff. In short, if you want to get off early, just join the queue to the exit.

They will let you off anytime. The mustering is to try to make you feel that you have not queued an hour or more to get off. The line will prefer disembarking passengers to get off first to maximise cabin turnaround time for their staff. In short, if you want to get off early, just join the queue to the exit.

This will only work if you either have an early disembarkation slot or are keeping your luggage with you.

When I got off the Sinfonia in May, I was in a group around the middle. When I got to the baggage hall to get my vase, they were still unloading the flour after mine and hadn't even stated on the later colour groups.

Thanks, Skipper Tim, this helps a lot.

AmoMondo, we will keep our luggage with us and (per Skipper Tim's earlier advice) request an early disembarkation time.

Maryann2, thanks for this info. I just checked and none of the trains I want to purchase tickets for on TrenItalia allow you to purchase more than 7 days in advance. Two of the trains I want to take are more than 7 days after I arrive and I am not sure if I will have access to internet/computer/printer. Hopefully the tickets won't be that expensive day of!

Thanks all for everyone's advice!

Archived