Long Beach hotels

HawksFan74

My wife, DD & I are staying one night pre-cruise in Long Beach. Currently, I have a 2 queen room booked at Hyatt The Pike using the Costco member rate of $208. When I made the reservation a few months ago, Hotel Maya was quite a bit more expensive, but today I noticed that I can get a room there through some of the OTA's for $211. Since the prices are essentially the same, which of these hotels would everyone recommend?

We won't have a car, so I'm leaning toward staying at The Pike just for the location (lots of things to see and do within walking distance). Hotel Maya, while closer to the cruise terminal, seems a lot more isolated.

One more question - I know that one of the benefits of Hotel Maya is access to the AquaBus water taxi. Right now, the LB Transit website shows Fri-Sun service through October 26. Does that mean that there is no water taxi at all after that date? We will be staying the night of November 1.

My wife, DD & I are staying one night pre-cruise in Long Beach. Currently, I have a 2 queen room booked at Hyatt The Pike using the Costco member rate of $208. When I made the reservation a few months ago, Hotel Maya was quite a bit more expensive, but today I noticed that I can get a room there through some of the OTA's for $211. Since the prices are essentially the same, which of these hotels would everyone recommend?

We won't have a car, so I'm leaning toward staying at The Pike just for the location (lots of things to see and do within walking distance). Hotel Maya, while closer to the cruise terminal, seems a lot more isolated.

One more question - I know that one of the benefits of Hotel Maya is access to the AquaBus water taxi. Right now, the LB Transit website shows Fri-Sun service through October 26. Does that mean that there is no water taxi at all after that date? We will be staying the night of November 1.

My guess is that the water taxi schedule changes to a less frequent schedule after October 26--non-peak months...

I would stay at the Hyatt at the Pike...nicer, newer hotel, right in the heart of everything...Lots of restaurants and shopping right there...

Maya is across the channel, closer to the pier...but, with luggage, you're still not going to want to walk to the terminal...And, to go to restaurants, you're using the Passport shuttle--which is free, but still means you're waiting at bus stops and such...

Have some fun and stay at the Queen Mary, it's a blast from the past! In the morning, a porter will take your luggage to the cruise terminal. Very easy and a unique experience. We did it before our repositioning cruise in August.

I will follow Steve's advice and stay at the Hyatt. If you want to check out the QM, you can hop on that free shuttle and go in. There may be a tour. But I can't see standing there just for the historic aspect. Pricey and old.

If you go over there, Shoreline Village is right there. I would check out the restaurants there (rather than eat at the overpriced restaurants at the QM) -- I think the Yardhouse is still there (the one near my house is very popular).

The Aquarium of the Pacific is excellent and also on one of the shuttle's stops. But you'll want several hours free to check out the exhibits.

I too would stay at the Hyatt. Lots of things in walking distance and you can use the Passport to get to the Queen Mary, if interested.

Hotel Maya doesn't have anything close, except for the Queen Mary. It is an older hotel--in fact, at one time, it was the Long Beach Hilton. The restaurant does get great reviews.

I doubt if the Aqua Bus will be running at all by November. It is a warmer weather transportation option.

Thank you everyone! I think you convinced me to keep my reservation at Hyatt The Pike. And thanks for tip about the Yard House. The menu looks very promising.

The Aquarium would be great (I'm sure my 3 year old would love it!), but they're only open from 9-6. We won't get to the hotel until around 3:00, so I'm not sure if that gives us enough time to fully enjoy it, especially with the price of admission running $73 for the 3 of us.

Is there a place around there to buy wine and soda? I'm thinking we could take the Passport bus up to 5th & Pacific and walk over to Wal-Mart. They have wine, don't they? (We're not picky).

I doubt if the Aqua Bus will be running at all by November. It is a warmer weather transportation option.

Funny how Californians have a different perspective about weather. According to the stats that I could find, the average daytime high in Long Beach in early November is mid 70's. Here in Seattle, we call that summer. :)